• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luigi Bianchi Mantova vs. Suitsupply

lbmltsse

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have been a passive reader of this forum for quite some time and decided to sign up now because I can't find existing threads answering this topic to my satisfaction here (or on any other style forum out there).
Luigi Bianchi Mantova seems to be little discussed (and mostly older posts) and appears on almost none of the comparison threads etc..
I am curious about your opinion on their quality. I like the style and cut, but I'm not great (even after reading up on that topic) about catching more subtle differences in quality.
The background is that Luigi Bianchi Mantova suits are widely available on Yoox for prices between 150€ and 500€. I currently own one suit from them that I got off Yoox and in total including slight alterations it came out below 250€, which is significantly less than my last Suitsupply suit (in total including alterations apprx. 330€).
I know that LBM suits are actually being sold (specifically in the US, not so much in Germany) in retail stores for $700+, but as we all know from brands like Hugo Boss price does most often actually not equal quality. So are they actually a great deal for the Yoox prices or in reality not that much better than Suitsupply and only worth what Yoox sells the suits for but not their original price (in which case I would probably prefer not buying online and opting for Suitsupply instead). Do you think LBM might be specifically producing lower quality suits to be sold on Yoox? A lot of brands produce lower quality items for outlet stores (on- and offline). This would also explain the broad availability (in general) of LBM suits on Yoox.
What other more known brands (on this forum) would you compare their quality to? Do you guys have additional suggestions of great value suits that can be bought for similar prices online in Europe or offline in Germany?

Last edited:

lbmltsse

Reaction score
Nobody any input?
Is this the wrong place for a question like that, or does just nobody have any experience / opinion?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ill chime in. Ive only owned one LBM piece, not LBM1100.
I have not owned a Suit Supply piece.
My LBM was full canvass, had some hand work, and was very nice fabric (cashmere/wool blend). The styling was slightly boxy, so I modified it myself (I have broad shoulders that have very little slope).

Quesjac

Reaction score
So are they actually a great deal for the Yoox prices or in reality not that much better than Suitsupply and only worth what Yoox sells the suits for but not their original price (in which case I would probably prefer not buying online and opting for Suitsupply instead).

LBM I've found pretty variable. Some nice half-canvased stuff with interesting fabrics and details. Some very much not to my taste. Since you own one from Yoox you can judge whether or not you like it. I suspect it's pretty much comparable to Suit Supply in terms of make, so just go with whichever you prefer in terms of fit (and styling).

lbmltsse

Reaction score
Thank you guys! The one I have here is half-canvassed and generally feels very similarly to the suitsupply suit I have. Both also use wool from Vitale Barberis Canonico.
I had ordered three suits from LBM over Yoox to try on and all of them seemed the same quality (non were fully canvassed). It seems that in general suitsupply and the suits from LBM that are on sale over Yoox for those prices will be very similar in quality. The problem I had with Yoox is that they keep selling me 48S suits which don't fit me (need 48R) and they only advertise size 48 without a distinction between S/R/L.
I got a great deal on a SAND Copenhagen suit, which is half-canvassed as well but the wool feels significantly nicer (to me as a non-expert) than suit supply or LBM. The wool in the SAND suit comes from Zignone. Pricewise the suit was on sale in the same rage as LBM on Yoox and Suitsupply in store. So SAND suits on sale seem to be another good option in that price range.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One brand that is available on Yoox is LBM 1911 (in the US). If you are a fan of soft shoulders and quarter lined, sometimes unlined breathable suits or jackets, you can't go wrong with 1911. Can't remember if they are canvassed or not. I find that they run TTS.

mlstein

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of LBM 1911 unstructured blazers, and the ones I got from Yoox are real bargains. I would put them in the same league as Suitsupply.

AlonsoMerino

Reaction score
I have one unstructured blazer from LBM, I think it is a good brand for their price, obviously at that price point they can't offer full canvas or handsewn details. IMO the best thing about them is that they use premium fabrics like Loro Piana or VBC but with cheaper labor costs which translate into lower prices. My blazer is made with Loro Piana Merino wool and with a 65% discount I would say it cost me what the fabric alone is worth.

EthansAlley

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have been a passive reader of this forum for quite some time and decided to sign up now because I can't find existing threads answering this topic to my satisfaction here (or on any other style forum out there).
Luigi Bianchi Mantova seems to be little discussed (and mostly older posts) and appears on almost none of the comparison threads etc..
I am curious about your opinion on their quality. I like the style and cut, but I'm not great (even after reading up on that topic) about catching more subtle differences in quality.
The background is that Luigi Bianchi Mantova suits are widely available on Yoox for prices between 150€ and 500€. I currently own one suit from them that I got off Yoox and in total including slight alterations it came out below 250€, which is significantly less than my last Suitsupply suit (in total including alterations apprx. 330€).
I know that LBM suits are actually being sold (specifically in the US, not so much in Germany) in retail stores for $700+, but as we all know from brands like Hugo Boss price does most often actually not equal quality. So are they actually a great deal for the Yoox prices or in reality not that much better than Suitsupply and only worth what Yoox sells the suits for but not their original price (in which case I would probably prefer not buying online and opting for Suitsupply instead). Do you think LBM might be specifically producing lower quality suits to be sold on Yoox? A lot of brands produce lower quality items for outlet stores (on- and offline). This would also explain the broad availability (in general) of LBM suits on Yoox.
What other more known brands (on this forum) would you compare their quality to? Do you guys have additional suggestions of great value suits that can be bought for similar prices online in Europe or offline in Germany?

I have several LBM 1911 and Suitsupply pieces. They’re very similar in quality. Both nail the more casual, unstructured, natural shoulder that few suits offer. You’ll notice that they often use the same exact fabrics from the same fabric mills, but an LBM piece would be priced 2-3 times more than the Suitsupply piece. LBM pieces are cut slimmer than Suitsupply. If you wear a 38 in Suitsupply you’ll need to get the 40 for LBM. The LBM jackets are cut shorter in length, but have longer sleeve length than Suitsupply. Both companies offer flattering slim fits. LBM 1911 offers less business suits YOOX gives you great deals year-round, but Suitsupply’s Outlet drops only twice a year in January and July.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads