• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halston anyone? Help a newbie

khindo

Reaction score
I've been leaching for about 2 wks and have decided to make my first post, so here goes:

I was in Filene's today, and saw what I considered to be a very nice Italian cut suit made by Halston. I'm not familiar with this brand, and wanted to get the boards opinion if any. The saleperson told me it was similiar in quality to a Hugo Boss, and maybe a notch below Zegna. Thoughts pls?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was very familiar with Halston, decades ago. His women's clothes were popular among the rich and famous. Halston fragrances were something of a rage, while I was in college. I still have a big, eight ounce bottle of Z-14, perhaps filled with an eighth ounce of fermented juice. I wear it when I want to be left alone.

Regarding Halston's menswear, I never owned any, but I do remember it. Halston was known for simple lines and clean silhouettes. Late in his career, his women's clothes 'developed' ruffles and flounces. A film is being made about Halston, starring Alec Baldwin, in the lead. I'd say that the sales associate gave you a fairly accurate description of Halston garments, being produced today.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember Halston making some pretty nice stuff back in the day but it's been a while since I've really looked at it or held it in esteem. FWIW most BOSS suits are lower in quality than Zegna, with the exception of the bottom-end Zegna Soft.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
You were lied to. If there is even a Halston suit license out there it is of very poor (Macy's or lower) quality.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Halston (the brand) is still alive? Wow. It must be competing in the same market now as Pierre Cardin and Oleg Cassini.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Halston (the brand) is still alive? Wow. It must be competing in the same market now as Pierre Cardin and Oleg Cassini.

Anyone remember Sergio Valente jeans? Somehow, the mention of Pierre Cardin reminds me of that--think they had similar ad jingles.

mussel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by khindo
I was in Filene's today, and saw what I considered to be a very nice Italian cut suit made by Halston. I'm not familiar with this brand, and wanted to get the boards opinion if any. The saleperson told me it was similiar in quality to a Hugo Boss, and maybe a notch below Zegna. Thoughts pls?

Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
I'd say that the sales associate gave you a fairly accurate description of Halston garments, being produced today.

You got to be kidding me! A notch below Zegna?! Halston is a total crap, I agree with the other posters that I'd rank it along with Macy's Albani (sp?), Pierre Cardin and Jones New York.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to agree. I saw one at Filene's Basement and it reminded me of the Donald Trump stuff at Macy's. Not too good.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I haven't seen Halston garments, of late. To be honest, I'm not wild about Hugo Boss or Zegna, either.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
halston was a cheap department store brand for a long time. I remember reading somewhere that the new owners of the Halston name were trying to upgrade the brand. the garments were to be made in Italy for what that is worth.
Meaning it could be mediocre construction, but not the cheap crap that it was years ago.

Carl

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many MANY years ago, Halston was a very big name in fashion; his women's garments sold for three and four thousand a piece. Sometimes more. They were worn by socialites, movie stars, Babe Paley, Nan Kempner, many other high profile women. I believe Halston had a made to measure business, as well. As with Yves Saint Laurent, it's my opinion that Halston's men's line never equalled the women's. Then, came the J.C. Penney debacle. Halston was one of the first high end designers, to go mass market; it didn't work out. I'm eager to see how Alec Baldwin portrays Halston, in the upcoming film.
scan0006-1.jpg

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy

Uh-oh, well, then, stay away...
Some of my first suits were Pierre Cardin labeled, they were cheap and I was pleased to find something that sounded so "fashionable" at that price level (at that time I didn't know anyting about suits and cloths). After some time I discovered that they were poly*ster suits... and even back then, in spite of my ignorance, I believed to have heard that suits should be of stuff like wool, and poly*ester sounded way too plastic...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Harvey Weinstien bought the Halston about 2 months ago naming Tamara Mellon (of Jimmy Choo) the president and Rachael Zoe (stylist that "created" BoHo) a creative consultant. This has nothing to do with the men's license; but, this is in terms of reviving the Saks/Neiman Marcus/Bergdorf Goodman level of women's couture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics