• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Appreciation Thread

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi question for the folks that own the Okayama and the Cone Blue/black that is being offered now. I have a 35 straight in the Okayama. the 36 straights i bought i had to sell as just too big especially if there is any stretch

the Blue black offered online says to size up - Note: We recommend sizing up one as this is a very densely woven fabric.

I think the Okayama is pretty dense as well. Seems like i would size the same on these 2 denims. Any thoughts or experiences you've had with these 2 models is appreciated

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, happy Gustin customer from a while back, with a question for the hive mind.

I have something like 15 pairs of Gustin jeans and chinos, and they have all worn really well. I guess Gustin was my gateway drug 5 or 6 years ago into better clothes than you find at the mall.

However, my experience was that maybe 1 in 4 pairs would be dramatically smaller than the stated measurements, as much 1" or 1.5" smaller in the waist than Gustin's measurements.

I haven't bought any Gustin pants in the last three years. Is this still happening with orders you guys have placed recently?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, happy Gustin customer from a while back, with a question for the hive mind.

I have something like 15 pairs of Gustin jeans and chinos, and they have all worn really well. I guess Gustin was my gateway drug 5 or 6 years ago into better clothes than you find at the mall.

However, my experience was that maybe 1 in 4 pairs would be dramatically smaller than the stated measurements, as much 1" or 1.5" smaller in the waist than Gustin's measurements.

I haven't bought any Gustin pants in the last three years. Is this still happening with orders you guys have placed recently?
I have lots of jeans/chinos, like you, app. 20, and I have not had that issue. If something was so out of spec I couldn't wear it, I would just return to them. My last pair was received in September and I expect the next pair I get will arrive sometime later this month.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have lots of jeans/chinos, like you, app. 20, and I have not had that issue. If something was so out of spec I couldn't wear it, I would just return to them. My last pair was received in September and I expect the next pair I get will arrive sometime later this month.

Thanks for sharing. Any feeling for how many times the out of spec thing might have happened in all your time buying Gustin? Seems like perhaps less than the 1 in 4 I have experienced?

Like some others on SF I'm not really in a position to return, as the shipping from down here in South America would probably be as much as the original cost of the pants, so when I order, I'm all in!

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Any feeling for how many times the out of spec thing might have happened in all your time buying Gustin? Seems like perhaps less than the 1 in 4 I have experienced?

Like some others on SF I'm not really in a position to return, as the shipping from down here in South America would probably be as much as the original cost of the pants, so when I order, I'm all in!
Ah that makes sense that you wouldn't want to go through the hassle of a return.

Out of the 30+ Gustin items I own, I think I have sent back two items, a shirt, and a belt. The shirt was out of spec and even though it was within tolerances they accepted the return. It was off by 0.5" and was a flannel, but I didn't think I could continue wearing it if it shrunk any.

The belt they recommended sizing up, and I went with that, but when I received it I thought it would be too big if I kept it and it stretched any. I asked for a size down, they didn't have any, so it was just a return. I ended up ordering a size smaller the next time it was offered and have been wearing that regularly and glad I went with the initial size I wanted.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah that makes sense that you wouldn't want to go through the hassle of a return.

Out of the 30+ Gustin items I own, I think I have sent back two items, a shirt, and a belt. The shirt was out of spec and even though it was within tolerances they accepted the return. It was off by 0.5" and was a flannel, but I didn't think I could continue wearing it if it shrunk any.

The belt they recommended sizing up, and I went with that, but when I received it I thought it would be too big if I kept it and it stretched any. I asked for a size down, they didn't have any, so it was just a return. I ended up ordering a size smaller the next time it was offered and have been wearing that regularly and glad I went with the initial size I wanted.

Hey, thanks for the detailed reply! Sounds like you have had much more consistent sizing from Gustin than I have, and over a really large number of items. I guess it's still worth taking the chance then. I also handed off a pair of NWT jeans to my brother, and he was really struck by how much better they are than what he was used to, so may well get him another pair.

Thanks again for sharing.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Gustin and Tellason use the same factory for jeans, do they also use the same for tshirts?

I have some Tellason t’s that are awesome, but the Gustin shirt looks like it might be baggier.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Gustin and Tellason use the same factory for jeans, do they also use the same for tshirts?

I have some Tellason t’s that are awesome, but the Gustin shirt looks like it might be baggier.
I have found their newer shirts to be very slim. Two weeks ago I received an order of size extra large and they are smaller than I expected (I sized up for the thick cotton, I have multiple heather shirts in size large from 2-3 years ago that fit well). I measured them and they are about 0.5 to 1" inch smaller in the chest from what is listed on the site.

Not sure if they changed factories at some point. The labels looks different.

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest Delivery

#204 Ripstop in chino make up. Thought they were going to start out darker, but I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to how light the pictures were.

One shot with the sun in it and one without.

View media item 2295772
View media item 2295771
Yes, disappointed in the color on mine too. I have a 6 or 8 year old pair of ripstop chinos by another maker that look much more even colored, even with tons of wear and washing. These might be a bit too "loud" for me. I'm still undecided... But I had really high hopes for them but I don't think they are going to make the cut...

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, disappointed in the color on mine too. I have a 6 or 8 year old pair of ripstop chinos by another maker that look much more even colored, even with tons of wear and washing. These might be a bit too "loud" for me. I'm still undecided... But I had really high hopes for them but I don't think they are going to make the cut...
Yeah I was thinking the same about them being too loud. I guess they will just have to serve a different purpose.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well that’s a first. I was watching the jet x jet jeans and thinking I’d probably jump on board this morning (while the wife is out). They closed about 12hrs early, yesterday!

Oh well, I’m sure they will be back soon enough. Or maybe the 21oz black will return again.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
Anyone else get the twill joggers? Are the hips narrow for anyone else? My huge legs are a curse for clothing purchases.

jam3s121

Reaction score
I have been a supporter for gustin from awhile. Some of the stuff I have
2x USA Heather Long Sleeve T-Shirt 2PK (Gunmetal, Cypress)
1x Heather Grey Wool Field Jacket
4x Pairs of Japanese Line Socks
1x Chromexcel Wallet
1x Twisted Yarn Hoodie
4x USA Heather Short Sleeve shirt

Who else has absolutely horrible luck with anything fitting that is a top this year? They clearly changed the measurements, have a different factory sewing or something. I've ordered a 2x tee shirt pack once, and then two single shirts all in medium. None of this fit, and barely got any acknowledgement anything changed. Ordered a large and it fit but is still ever so slightly smaller than mediums from 2019.

Anyways now I ordered a waffle crewneck and it completely doesn't fit at all. The website has large at 21.875" flat and measured across. These measure at roughly 19" inches. Its not even close to fitting. I did more of my own research and found that this particular item tends to run small.. but it wasn't included on the more recent listings of anything they sell thats "waffleweave". Just a big disappointment. Its almost awkward to ask for another return in the same email chain of something else I already had. The worst part you get almost no acknowledgement that their model sucks, and the stuff changed.

Lastly... some people suspected the factory has changed. I'm not sure if thats the case but the material and sizing definitely has. At least imo the newer heather shirts I've had in my hands before returning were not as stretchy, and felt denser.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads