• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

guide to touching up your suit without wrecking it

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Ideally even in a minimalist wardrobe, you should be at a point where jackets would need cleaning only once a season or year. - B
If that.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I would still like to learn to do this the right way. Do I have to get a really fancy iron?

From what I gather, if you can do three things...

1. Get the heaviest iron that you can find.

2. Have a stable pressing surfaces that allows you to apply leverage.

3. Get a sleeveboard.

...you are 90% there in terms of equipment.

I think that I described the pre-WWI contraption that my local guy uses. No steam, and it is levered so that he can stand on it with one foot to apply more pressure. Any moisture needed is sponged.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
If that.

Exactly. I would say that less than a quarter of my jackets have ever been to a cleaner, and for the bespoke stuff, even fewer.

Trousers go more often, but the consequences of bad pressing are not so disasterous.

Then again, I have a large-ish wardrobe.

- B

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
This thread sincerely depresses me. There are no cleaners or tailors in my area, or really any area that isn't NYC, Boston, SF, maybe LA, that can properly steam, press, or clean a garment. There's no point really in me ever buying anything nice because I can't ******* wear it. I'm sure not ever going to learn how to press as Jeffrey has shown, because it's simply too time-consuming, and difficult.

lol i m sorry i just had to laugh. i understand your frustration.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I would say that less than a quarter of my jackets have ever been to a cleaner, and for the bespoke stuff, even fewer. Trousers go more often, but the consequences of bad pressing are not so disasterous. Then again, I have a large-ish wardrobe. - B
+1. Between brushing, airing, an occasional damp sponge and spotting most stuff never needs a full dry cleaning (trousers excepted).

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I must be rougher on clothing than you guys are. My jackets and trousers need pressing all the time. They get a little wet, or they steam some new creases in a hot car on a hot day, or they get crumpled at a party, or I hang them on the back of my chair at work... the list goes on. They probably don't need cleaning so much as they're just beat up from me... living.

Maybe I need higher quality cloth, I dunno.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I must be rougher on clothing than you guys are. My jackets and trousers need pressing all the time. They get a little wet, or they steam some new creases in a hot car on a hot day, or they get crumpled at a party, or I hang them on the back of my chair at work... the list goes on. They probably don't need cleaning so much as they're just beat up from me... living. Maybe I need higher quality cloth, I dunno.
That and worry less about a few wrinkles.
wink.gif

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Thus the OP.

To some, a $333 bottle of wine (non restaurant price) can be just yummy.

To others, especially the makers or the hobbyist fanatic, yummy includes appreciation of the myriad of possible primary and secondary flavors and the appreciation of what it took to get the wine to "yummy."

I am just starting to appreciate the three dimensional life of a bespoke garment that is brought out by proper pressing and lost by steaming.

My maker, who has been in the trade for a very long time, would casually look at a breast pocket and say, "How flat, pasted on, and lifeless that looks." I would have to really focus to even begin to see what he saw. Of course, I try to keep my mind open and not pretend I am hallucinating what he sees (the "Emperor's New Clothes" risk with the clothing hobby.)

Does slightly improper storage and coaxing a bottle out from the cellar it make the wine less yummy? Not necessarily. Is the little extra preservation of form in a bespoke suit without merit in reality? Not necessarily.

FWIW, I can tell the difference when looking at Vox's stuff and some of Manton's stuff - and now know why based on what they have written.

- M

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I gather, if you can do three things...

1. Get the heaviest iron that you can find.

2. Have a stable pressing surfaces that allows you to apply leverage.

3. Get a sleeveboard.

...you are 90% there in terms of equipment.

I think that I described the pre-WWI contraption that my local guy uses. No steam, and it is levered so that he can stand on it with one foot to apply more pressure. Any moisture needed is sponged.

- B

voila!

171848%20Sleeve%20Up.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
What do you use for a press cloth?

I have explored this thoroughly, and find the below works best . . .

presscloth.jpg

It is almost like pressing over your Simonot Godard pocket square
devil.gif

- M

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
I have explored this thoroughly, and find the below works best . . .

presscloth.jpg

It is almost like pressing over your Simonot Godard pocket square
devil.gif

- M

Maybe I'm crazy, but I dont find wrinkles to be an issue, even in suits that I own in higher Supers (140s) numbers. The wrinkles are all but gone after the garment is hung for a few days. Am I missing something?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads