• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

guide to touching up your suit without wrecking it

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I recently tried this on a pair of pants. It works. No lie. Time consuming, especially if you have no experience. But effective.

While I am not anti-steam, I have to say, steam not only will not put the crease back in a trouser; it removes crease. The iron, OTOH, sets them very nicely.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I recently tried this on a pair of pants. It works. No lie. Time consuming, especially if you have no experience. But effective.

While I am not anti-steam, I have to say, steam not only will not put the crease back in a trouser; it removes crease. The iron, OTOH, sets them very nicely.

You've never ironed your trousers before? I iron mine every other week or so.

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been several recommendations here on this thread that say not to dry clean your suit more than 1-2x a year, IF that, to preserve your suit.

Does this cause a problem with attracting insects due to the buildup of human or food odors? (moths, carpet beetle larvae, etc)? Just use the clothes brush, bag 'em with lavendar in canvas holders, and keep your fingers crossed?

super

Reaction score
wow a meticulous process indeed!

for some reason though I don't like the look of these overly rounded suits. I think it needs to be fitted but not so curved.

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
What do you use for a press cloth?

I cut pieces out of an old dress shirt that I no longer wear. It may not be up to the high standards in this thread, but it works for me.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bump for a quality thread, with pictures that still live too

scobell

Reaction score
I just received a made-to-measure suit from a high end retailer here in Vancouver and after letting it steam in the shower for a few minutes, two large deformities emerged in the front.

Could I get your opinion on what might be the cause? (low quality underlining—fused canvas, oversteaming it, another thing) ?

Any comment is welcomed :)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
NEVER STEAM A SUIT OR HANG ONE IN THE BATHROOM. THIS IS THE CAUSE OF THE PUCKERING

Return to maker to have it pressed.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NEVER STEAM A SUIT OR HANG ONE IN THE BATHROOM. THIS IS THE CAUSE OF THE PUCKERING
Return to maker to have it pressed.

Strange, I steam my suits rather than press them at home and I've never had this happen. As a musician, I'm often on the road and just do the shower trick and I haven't had that happen either (well, I'll press the trousers but not the jacket). What's causing that Despos? Have I just been tempting fate?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
from my experience people don't see the effect steam has until you point it out and then they go "Oh!!"

Steam (controlled steam), heat and pressure and adequate time for drying is how you press clothing. The lighter the cloth weight, the less steam to be used. Cloth like gabardine I press dry with no steam.

Last edited:

SHS

Reaction score
Does shirts get damaged from steam too? Is it harmfull to hang them in a steamy bathroom?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads