1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

guide to touching up your suit without wrecking it

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jefferyd, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

bump for a quality thread, with pictures that still live too

2. Patric

Patric Member

*bump* thnx 4 advice

3. scobell

scobell New Member

I just received a made-to-measure suit from a high end retailer here in Vancouver and after letting it steam in the shower for a few minutes, two large deformities emerged in the front.

Could I get your opinion on what might be the cause? (low quality underlining—fused canvas, oversteaming it, another thing) ?

Any comment is welcomed :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I'm not sure what that is. I'd hit it with my steamer and see what happened.

5. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

NEVER STEAM A SUIT OR HANG ONE IN THE BATHROOM. THIS IS THE CAUSE OF THE PUCKERING

Return to maker to have it pressed.

2 people like this.
  6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

hmmm...funny. I steam my suits, and I've never had anything like this happen.

7. Despos

That is funny

2 people like this.
  8. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Strange, I steam my suits rather than press them at home and I've never had this happen. As a musician, I'm often on the road and just do the shower trick and I haven't had that happen either (well, I'll press the trousers but not the jacket). What's causing that Despos? Have I just been tempting fate?

9. Despos

from my experience people don't see the effect steam has until you point it out and then they go "Oh!!"

Steam (controlled steam), heat and pressure and adequate time for drying is how you press clothing. The lighter the cloth weight, the less steam to be used. Cloth like gabardine I press dry with no steam.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. SHS

SHS Senior member

Does shirts get damaged from steam too? Is it harmfull to hang them in a steamy bathroom?

11. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Bump for a great thread!

12. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Bump - a must read

13. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was browsing Put This On and came across another fine example of what can happen when you take a steamer to an otherwise innocent garment. The following is an Oxxford garment so we can be quite sure the bubbling has got nothing to do with fusing. This is the result of someone steaming the coat and pant. It ain't pretty.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    2 people like this.
  14. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Oh geez, poor suit.

15. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

This is an old post, but I have to +100000 to it. Even if you manage to put a crease on with steam, it won't last long. Sponge some moisture, then apply as much pressure as you can with the iron until it dries. Creases last forever that way.

16. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

I'm not a fan of the chemicals used in dry cleaning so I'm wondering if I can hand wash a suit jacket and pants myself and then have my tailor press them back into shape? Would this cause any issues other than the initial loss of shape in the garment prior to the re-pressing? Could shrinkage occur?

17. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Surely there must be more to the story than simple steaming unless the guy using the steamer went hog wild or something? For example, I recently steamed several new pairs of my stepson's Lands' End "Year Rounder" trousers, which are certainly not the equals of Oxxford in quality and probably of a lighter fabric. There were no discernible ill effects, and the trousers looked fine after being given a night to rest.

18. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

19. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've read this thread a few times now. Thanks, JefferyD. One question (and I hope it hasn't been answered and I've forgotten): Is there no risk that pressing worn clothes could set dirt and subtle stains in the cloth?

20. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

$HIT! Good thing I am beginning to find this out just one week after I got a steamer. Wtf, everywhere I look and everyone I talk to say steaming is bad. I thought I did plenty of research on SF before I bought a steamer. Thx for the pic.