• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

amiga505

Reaction score
Good day. My sister will be traveling from the US not far from now, and I'd like to use the opportunity to acquire a pair of Grant Stone Ottawa boots (these: https://www.grantstoneshoes.com/col...ot-cognac-pebble-grain?variant=29658074710102). As this is a one-shot, I am seeking sizing advice to improve my chances.

I own a pair of Ace Marks oxfords like these https://www.acemarks.com/mens-shoes...toe-oxford-shoes/cap-toe-oxford-siena-antique in size 10-D US, they fit just right with thin summer sock. I have recently acquired a pair of Yanko oxfords on 962G last, size 7.5 UK - these fit slightly too tight with a warm winter sock, but this while pacing my apartment, I have not yet broken them in. I hope that after I do they will be just right.

My foot is about 27 cm long when measured flat from the heel to the toe end (which is about 10.62 inches) and about 25.5 cm wide when measured around (which is about 10.03 inches).

The Grant Stone Ottawas are intended for the cold season, so the warm woollen socks have to be assumed, and perhaps an extra insole. Also, I generally don't mind if the boots like these are a touch roomy as they still sit comfortably. With oxfords which are slightly roomier I get an uneasy feeling that they are going to slip off my foot any moment.

Thank you very much in advance.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pebble Grain Ottawa in the wild, olive rawhide laces from Guarded Goods. Please excuse the dirty mat. Lol!
IMG_20191208_0950285.jpg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good day. My sister will be traveling from the US not far from now, and I'd like to use the opportunity to acquire a pair of Grant Stone Ottawa boots (these: https://www.grantstoneshoes.com/col...ot-cognac-pebble-grain?variant=29658074710102). As this is a one-shot, I am seeking sizing advice to improve my chances.

I own a pair of Ace Marks oxfords like these https://www.acemarks.com/mens-shoes...toe-oxford-shoes/cap-toe-oxford-siena-antique in size 10-D US, they fit just right with thin summer sock. I have recently acquired a pair of Yanko oxfords on 962G last, size 7.5 UK - these fit slightly too tight with a warm winter sock, but this while pacing my apartment, I have not yet broken them in. I hope that after I do they will be just right.

My foot is about 27 cm long when measured flat from the heel to the toe end (which is about 10.62 inches) and about 25.5 cm wide when measured around (which is about 10.03 inches).

The Grant Stone Ottawas are intended for the cold season, so the warm woollen socks have to be assumed, and perhaps an extra insole. Also, I generally don't mind if the boots like these are a touch roomy as they still sit comfortably. With oxfords which are slightly roomier I get an uneasy feeling that they are going to slip off my foot any moment.

I can't help you with sizing myself: I'd recommend emailing [email protected]; they can help you dial in your size.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sure, I will do so. I am however a bit surprised - I thought the whole 'official affiliate thread' concept was about a direct communication between the manufacturer and the (potential) client...
GS does make very frequent appearances here and does respond to inquiries posted here, usually during weekdays. A direct "reach out" to any company is better than waiting for a response on social media. I would think, that a smaller company, such as GS, doesn't have a dedicated person monitoring sites like this as part of their job description as a much larger corporation might have. They (GS) do respond rather quickly to email inquiries however.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd echo that the best thing would be to contact Grant Stone for fit guidance. That said, based on the fact that Acemarks states they're true-to-Brannock for their sizing, a 10D Brannock would yield a 9.5D in the Leo last. It's a generous last, so I'd say a D will be fine with medium-to-thick socks.

I'm not familiar with Yanko at all. Most UK sizes are a full or 1/2 size down from Brannock for me, but a 7.5UK vs. a 10D Brannock is hard to reconcile. Even if you round up to an 8 to get good fit that's quite a span. If you have sneaker sizes, etc, I'd include those in your email to the Grant Stone team.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like this will be the go to wet weather boot for this fall. The more you wear it the better it looks. I'm assuming the reason it's a B-grade is because of a little loose grain on the shaft and vamp. Not noticeable after a couple of wears, and actually enhances the rugged good looks of the boot.
IMG_20191209_0830144.jpg

amiga505

Reaction score
GS does make very frequent appearances here and does respond to inquiries posted here, usually during weekdays. A direct "reach out" to any company is better than waiting for a response on social media. I would think, that a smaller company, such as GS, doesn't have a dedicated person monitoring sites like this as part of their job description as a much larger corporation might have. They (GS) do respond rather quickly to email inquiries however.

fair enough.

amiga505

Reaction score
I'd echo that the best thing would be to contact Grant Stone for fit guidance. That said, based on the fact that Acemarks states they're true-to-Brannock for their sizing, a 10D Brannock would yield a 9.5D in the Leo last. It's a generous last, so I'd say a D will be fine with medium-to-thick socks.

I'm not familiar with Yanko at all. Most UK sizes are a full or 1/2 size down from Brannock for me, but a 7.5UK vs. a 10D Brannock is hard to reconcile. Even if you round up to an 8 to get good fit that's quite a span. If you have sneaker sizes, etc, I'd include those in your email to the Grant Stone team.

it's true, this took me by surprise as well. Ace Marks were my first pair of fine shoes, so when I placed an order with Meermin I figured that size 9UK would be a safe initial bet, but these were just huge. in the end I settled for size 8UK.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with translating their GS size into other common brands/lasts?
Based on an email conversation with Josh, I ordered the Bourbon Suede LWBs in the same size as I take in Alden's Barrie last (9E); they fit great (I'm a 9.5E Brannock).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads