• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woodenbits

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for your reply. Did you mix up a number in your circumference eventually?
LOL - yes, most definitely, it is 272mm, not 172mm
At the moment I'am primarily looking for boots, as these tend to have lasts that have wider toe boxes that allow my toe to be straight. Moreover in germany or europe as a whole there is not really a market for bespoke bootsthat are on the tougher side. No one would wear a 2000+€ boot in the workshop without hesitation I suppose and most people buy Meindl, Hanwag, Lowa etc. which are all too narrow and the quality went downhill the last few years pretty badly.
If 'heritage-style workboots' are what you are after... maybe consider Drew logger boots, or if your budget allows, one of PNW makers (Whites, Wesco, Nicks).
As for GS, if last is your primary concern... at a risk of being repetitive - Alexander last is closest to your ideal - wide in the front, narrow in the back. I love my tassel loafers!
Its interesting that you found the iron ranger to be a bit long, have you measured with a device or with a measuring tape?
No, it is more 'anecdotal'. They are the longest shoes/boots in my collection, there is good (20mm?) amount of room in a toe-box (I know, I know, it is not such a bad thing), and overall length combined with stiff sole really messed with my gait - I had to change the way I am moving my feet when walking in order to avoid tripping over them. In retrospective, it was a good change, but it was a pretty weird adjustment, and it took months for that 'walking in snowshoes' feeling to dissipate. Instep was also too high, heel slip was incredible, and they were shredding my heels until I added 3/4 insole. All that considered, they are my most comfortable boots now.

Last edited:

Schnazel

Reaction score
LOL - yes, most definitely, it is 272mm, not 172mm
I guessed so, else it would be a really weird foot :D
Would really like more volume and a more narrow foot, but one cant changes their feet.

I contacted all the pacific north west manufacturers about sizing and did their size charts/sizing methods.
I got as a result everything from: 13 D, 12,5 D, 12,5 E, 12E and 11 EEE. So I really have NO idea what I should order. The support was not really helpful alas "see our sizing chart", yeah nice.

The problem is most look at their width tables looking for a brannock width to girth conversion or just girth/circumference. But as we already established: my foot is wide and not large in volume...

The other problem is most have quite long lead times. so I would need to choose a boot, wait up to 8 month and then maybe it fits or not. In the worst case it would be years to get the right size. Shipping to europe is around 70-80 dollars + 20-30% taxes. Guess whats the total amount for a couple of pairs of more expensive boots...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ivory suede, leather sole on the way up to the office in the elevator. Wish they would make these in a saddle shoe format, maybe Ivory and green, or blue.
IMG_3944.JPG

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guessed so, else it would be a really weird foot :D
Would really like more volume and a more narrow foot, but one cant changes their feet.

I contacted all the pacific north west manufacturers about sizing and did their size charts/sizing methods.
I got as a result everything from: 13 D, 12,5 D, 12,5 E, 12E and 11 EEE. So I really have NO idea what I should order. The support was not really helpful alas "see our sizing chart", yeah nice.

The problem is most look at their width tables looking for a brannock width to girth conversion or just girth/circumference. But as we already established: my foot is wide and not large in volume...

The other problem is most have quite long lead times. so I would need to choose a boot, wait up to 8 month and then maybe it fits or not. In the worst case it would be years to get the right size. Shipping to europe is around 70-80 dollars + 20-30% taxes. Guess whats the total amount for a couple of pairs of more expensive boots...

I'll tell you my experience, then my recommendation.

I was after a pull-on harness or engineer boot, something really substantial and high quality. For my foot shape /size I knew this was going to be very difficult and risky - very low volume but very high arch.

I contacted whites and bakers, multiple people, different points in time. Whites was totally useless- when I could actually get a response, it was all over the place. I brannock at 7.5C with a high instep - they recommended 6.5, 7, 7.5, D, C, E, all over the place. Bakers was more responsive but also didn't offer much. Eventually I talked to Brandon who suggested 6.5D without a shadow of a doubt. I was happy to hear someone with some level of knowledge finally but wasn't convinced and didn't believe him.

I finally got to talk to Kyle one on one. Long phone convo. We had exchanged emails and like Brandon, had seen my foot tracings I sent in. By email he said no size would work, I would need a total custom build and it could take a year. This got me very intrigued and prompted the phone call.

We talked forever. I own somewhere around 150 pairs and have tried many times that amount. We focused on his "base" - western boots, Red Wing & Alden. Going in, he was convinced I needed a 6.5C, modified high instep custom build. By the time we were done, he advised 7D. He said 6.5 absolutely would not work. I got a whites cykel in 7D and he clearly nailed it. I have since gotten two more PNW boots.

If you can do the tracings and get Kyle to look at it, then you can give him all of the "ammo" he needs to make a good call - your experience with Red Wing, Alden, western boots, I don't think he will steer you wrong. But like you said, the build may take a really long time.

The Drew's Mexico made logger boots seem very intriguing plus really inexpensive- unfortunately I have no experience with those.

I will say that these pnw lasts - the barrie/55/4811 or hnw/55/67 are described like this nebulous thing no one can explain. So far from the truth - they're basically like the Red Wing iron ranger last with varying arch support added to the footbed.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dune Ottawas...my favourites!
20230503_101047.jpg
20230503_100927.jpg

Drzdave58

Reaction score
I'll tell you my experience, then my recommendation.

I was after a pull-on harness or engineer boot, something really substantial and high quality. For my foot shape /size I knew this was going to be very difficult and risky - very low volume but very high arch.

I contacted whites and bakers, multiple people, different points in time. Whites was totally useless- when I could actually get a response, it was all over the place. I brannock at 7.5C with a high instep - they recommended 6.5, 7, 7.5, D, C, E, all over the place. Bakers was more responsive but also didn't offer much. Eventually I talked to Brandon who suggested 6.5D without a shadow of a doubt. I was happy to hear someone with some level of knowledge finally but wasn't convinced and didn't believe him.

I finally got to talk to Kyle one on one. Long phone convo. We had exchanged emails and like Brandon, had seen my foot tracings I sent in. By email he said no size would work, I would need a total custom build and it could take a year. This got me very intrigued and prompted the phone call.

We talked forever. I own somewhere around 150 pairs and have tried many times that amount. We focused on his "base" - western boots, Red Wing & Alden. Going in, he was convinced I needed a 6.5C, modified high instep custom build. By the time we were done, he advised 7D. He said 6.5 absolutely would not work. I got a whites cykel in 7D and he clearly nailed it. I have since gotten two more PNW boots.

If you can do the tracings and get Kyle to look at it, then you can give him all of the "ammo" he needs to make a good call - your experience with Red Wing, Alden, western boots, I don't think he will steer you wrong. But like you said, the build may take a really long time.

The Drew's Mexico made logger boots seem very intriguing plus really inexpensive- unfortunately I have no experience with those.

I will say that these pnw lasts - the barrie/55/4811 or hnw/55/67 are described like this nebulous thing no one can explain. So far from the truth - they're basically like the Red Wing iron ranger last with varying arch support added to the footbed.
I went with Kyles recommendations as well for my c350 cruisers and they fit nicely.

delmar

Reaction score
The photo was taken at night under incandescent light.

Why were they B grade? Hard telling. One of the shoes had a little smudge on the bottom of the sole and the other shoe had a couple of tiny black spatters on the suede--and I mean tiny, like the period at the end of a sentence tiny.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another CXL lottery winner....Ottawas in Black CXL a.k.a. TANKS !!
20230504_161238.jpg
20230504_161147.jpg
20230504_161039.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads