• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I've been wearing my Coffee Suede Longwings around the house in the evening to try to break them in. The heavy leather sole feels like a wood plank thus far, but I know it will soften. Man is it ever tough though.

View attachment 1839993

While these 11.5D Longwings are on the same Leo last, they are a tad smaller than my 11.5D Crimson Diesel boots. They fit perfectly in the heel and instep, but seem a tad more narrow in the toebox, which is more rigid as well. The left foot is fine, but my right big toe presses on the inside toebox a bit. I think they will work out ok. Have a bit of heel slip walking which is to be expected at this early juncture. They are supremely comfortable when I'm just kicking back with them on my feet.

I have the same and I love them - great fit and look. But sadly I can't get any bend out of the DL soles, esp. being 130 lbs soaking wet. As such, its becoming apparent that I'll destroy the toes in just a few wears, so I never use them. Going to Ebay.....😢 8.5E if anyone interested. No problems with single leather soles for me.

whipcord

Reaction score
I don't think it will cause any issues long term. It also looks stitched in the area so it shouldn't get too much worse

It's actually the entire side of the leather lining in the left side of the toebox that seems to be loose, going up to the top of the inside of the shoe where the external stitching is, then it seems to still be glued from that point across the top of the foot. I'm concerned that it will continue to loosen then the lining will be separate from the outside part, and hang down on my foot if you will. Unfortunately there's not another pair of 11.5D in this colorway, so it is what it is. I'm not sure there's a way to fix it.

whipcord

Reaction score
I have the same and I love them - great fit and look. But sadly I can't get any bend out of the DL soles, esp. being 130 lbs soaking wet. As such, its becoming apparent that I'll destroy the toes in just a few wears, so I never use them. Going to Ebay.....😢 8.5E if anyone interested. No problems with single leather soles for me.

I say stick with them! I was reading about double leather soles and the consensus seems to be that they will take quite a bit of time to break in, but they will be nice and flexible and ultra comfy once they do.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's actually the entire side of the leather lining in the left side of the toebox that seems to be loose, going up to the top of the inside of the shoe where the external stitching is, then it seems to still be glued from that point across the top of the foot. I'm concerned that it will continue to loosen then the lining will be separate from the outside part, and hang down on my foot if you will. Unfortunately there's not another pair of 11.5D in this colorway, so it is what it is. I'm not sure there's a way to fix it.

We actually use as little adhesive as possible (some call a hang lining) to allow the upper leather and lining to move somewhat freely, vs creating a third layer in between made up of adhesive. There is a balance but considering the lining is stitched to the upper throughout, it shouldn't ever become an issue.

BuffaloTom

Reaction score
Hello.

I received my first two pairs of GS boots a couple of days ago - Diesel storm kudus and Chelsea crimson CXLs. These are also my first high end boots so I don't know if my experience is typical for this kind of footwear, but wow!

I went the half size smaller and got 10Ds and they feel perfect. I expected "comfortable for boots" comfort, and I got boots that are way more comfortable than my topsiders and sneakers. The only minor issue at the moment is they are a little hard to get on. I assume that will improve with use, but even if it doesn't I'm going to buy a lot more of these boots than I need. I'm planning on having them the rest of my life.

Also, why aren't Chelsea boots more popular? They look amazing! I'm getting them all and praying for more.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I say stick with them! I was reading about double leather soles and the consensus seems to be that they will take quite a bit of time to break in, but they will be nice and flexible and ultra comfy once they do.

Ya they probably will as you say. I have the veg tan diesels, which I love too. But I destroyed the toes in about 6 wears, long before the flexibility developed and had to get toe taps, which I hate. When new, they are so stiff and I'm so light, I just get launched off the toes at the end of my stride. We have maple floors in my house so wearing them in indoors to break-in is like ice skating. I really dig the developing patina so I am looking to swap the DL out for Vibram 403s. I've also found I dont much care for the constant snap-crackle-pop sensation of leather soles crunching stuff on the sidewalk. Just not my thing I guess, but takes nothing away from these great shoes.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
Ya they probably will as you say. I have the veg tan diesels, which I love too. But I destroyed the toes in about 6 wears, long before the flexibility developed and had to get toe taps, which I hate. When new, they are so stiff and I'm so light, I just get launched off the toes at the end of my stride. We have maple floors in my house so wearing them in indoors to break-in is like ice skating. I really dig the developing patina so I am looking to swap the DL out for Vibram 403s. I've also found I dont much care for the constant snap-crackle-pop sensation of leather soles crunching stuff on the sidewalk. Just not my thing I guess, but takes nothing away from these great shoes.
Leather soles are great for just walking in normal condi, once you get salt , rain and snow it's not great...

Rubber sole #1, unless you live in California

Moostyle

Reaction score
Leather soles are great for just walking in normal condi, once you get salt , rain and snow it's not great...

Yup, which is the reason why I will never walk around on a leather sole, they are imo just so impractical for daily life, at least where I live that has the full range of seasons.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have worn my leather sole GS in all sorts of weather, I would advise against ice and/or snow, but otherwise they have been fine.

whipcord

Reaction score
We actually use as little adhesive as possible (some call a hang lining) to allow the upper leather and lining to move somewhat freely, vs creating a third layer in between made up of adhesive. There is a balance but considering the lining is stitched to the upper throughout, it shouldn't ever become an issue.

Thank you. Will consider it a non-issue.

whipcord

Reaction score
Call me a loafer convert. I like these so much I was thinking I could almost retire and only wear loafers for the rest of my life. These are a great color for casual wear.
cxltraveler.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads