• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BrandonF

Reaction score
Storm Kudu Ottowas today. These are my most "fashion-forward" pair of footwear, aside from some Alden saddle shoes, and I just love them. They are so much fun to wear on the weekends. I debated getting these, due to the unusual leather and color, but now I'm so glad to have them.
View attachment 1542033

I love mine. What laces are those? On my phone can’t tell if they’re black or a grey. They look grey to me. I’m still using the stock leather laces.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ottawa on leather, day 1 of GS week for me
IMG_6640.JPG

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Speaking of shoe boxes.....

Parkhurst does something like this.

It is an interesting take on a problem that affects many industries. The article states that eco-conscious brands such as Rothy's and Allbirds use almost no plastic and only one box for shipping/storage but their shoes are also much lighter than other brands (Alden, Alllen Edmonds, Grant Stone, etc.). Parkhurst appears to use 1 box for boots but it is also very thick stock so is it really better than two (inner storage and outer shipping)?

I think if enough customers required it, or even requested it, @GrantStone would investigate the solution but like the other brands it would need to become part of their DNA. So, GS would need to determine if it matters to enough of their customers, find a solution, and then market the heck out of it so as to not offend customers who just want a simple old style box to store their shoes in. My point is that I think GS currently only uses recyclable materials (and no plastic) so they are doing a good job. If I gave them any advice, it would be to stop including a metal shoehorn with every pair especially when customers order multiple pairs. Make it a "free" add-on to any purchase but don't just send it as I believe that to be an important environmental issue that can be easily fixed.

Think about how much "waste" comes with that new Apple iPhone most people get every 2 years whereas shoes tend to have a much longer lifespan in peoples' lives so people keep and use the box. How much does the average consumer actually recycle? When do we factor the consumers actions into the supply chain of goods? My wife and I joke that we fill at least 1 full brown paper grocery bag a week with recycling yet we probably only have 1 small kitchen size plastic bag full of garbage every other week. And, the only reason we take it out that often is it starts to smell. We are not eco-warriors but we try do our part not to fcuk up the planet any further.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is an interesting take on a problem that affects many industries. The article states that eco-conscious brands such as Rothy's and Allbirds use almost no plastic and only one box for shipping/storage but their shoes are also much lighter than other brands (Alden, Alllen Edmonds, Grant Stone, etc.). Parkhurst appears to use 1 box for boots but it is also very thick stock so is it really better than two (inner storage and outer shipping)?

I think if enough customers required it, or even requested it, @GrantStone would investigate the solution but like the other brands it would need to become part of their DNA. So, GS would need to determine if it matters to enough of their customers, find a solution, and then market the heck out of it so as to not offend customers who just want a simple old style box to store their shoes in. My point is that I think GS currently only uses recyclable materials (and no plastic) so they are doing a good job. If I gave them any advice, it would be to stop including a metal shoehorn with every pair especially when customers order multiple pairs. Make it a "free" add-on to any purchase but don't just send it as I believe that to be an important environmental issue that can be easily fixed.

Think about how much "waste" comes with that new Apple iPhone most people get every 2 years whereas shoes tend to have a much longer lifespan in peoples' lives so people keep and use the box. How much does the average consumer actually recycle? When do we factor the consumers actions into the supply chain of goods? My wife and I joke that we fill at least 1 full brown paper grocery bag a week with recycling yet we probably only have 1 small kitchen size plastic bag full of garbage every other week. And, the only reason we take it out that often is it starts to smell. We are not eco-warriors but we try do our part not to fcuk up the planet any further.
Excellent post, totally off topic of footwear, but 100% of the cardboard/ paper waste that comes into our house is recycled. as is 100% of can/glass containers and all the plastic that can be recycled is. Kitchen vegetable waste is composted for use on vegetable gardens. We, like you, have maybe 1 or 2 bags of garbage per week.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love mine. What laces are those? On my phone can’t tell if they’re black or a grey. They look grey to me. I’m still using the stock leather laces.

They are black cloth laces, I think they came with the boots but I'm not sure. They might have come with a different pair of GS boots. Leather laces are lovely but they do not work for me, I inevitably break them after a wear or two. The GS leather laces are much nicer than most but I still break them, so these days when I get a new pair of boots I just go straight to the cloth laces.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking of shoe boxes.....

These are great points. We haven't covered this on the site yet but we have moved away from plastic shoe bags, and all of the paper in the box replacing it with fabric. It's an added cost all the way around but it's a step in the right direction.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Looking to sell my 10.5D midnight suede Ottawa boot. Worn only a handful of times and the soles are basically brand new.

I haven't worn these as much as they deserve for a gorgeous boot, so I hope to find them a new home. Will ship with bags and the flannel bonus cloth plus three sets of laces (blue, Guarded Goods in the boots, and leather).

Please PM for further discussion.

View attachment 1538964

Just a quick bump for these. Anyone interested in an almost new pair of 10.5D?

Thanks for the consideration.

ronscuba

Reaction score
These are great points. We haven't covered this on the site yet but we have moved away from plastic shoe bags, and all of the paper in the box replacing it with fabric. It's an added cost all the way around but it's a step in the right direction.
Nice to hear you are conscious about this kind of thing. But to be honest, I linked the article for discussion, not necessarily because it is an important issue to me.

It can be difficult deciding where to spend $ and the value of certain added costs is hard to measure. The box experience, green initiatives, presentation, marketing, etc.. It is impossible to make everyone happy.

For me, I am satisfied with GS box, packaging, bags, cloth, laces. I do not need the shoe horn. Break in was stiffer and cushioning/shock absorption was less than expected. I added a cushion insole for an easy solution. Overall I am very happy with the product and value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads