• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had water/oil spots not go away on veg tan leather. Also my british tan calf cap toe boots from Grant Stone certainly have a fair amount of damage from water, salt, and whatever other chemicals might be on the ground during a New England winter. But I haven't had that issue with CXL so far. I could see natural CXL probably showing these spots more than darker CXL colors.

Canwin12

Reaction score
That might not be water then. I've owned 8 natural cxl boots and shoes and never had water spots not go away or atleast drastically fade overnight.
That is good to hear and makes sense as others would have had similar issues. I put some silicon lubricant on a door last week. I don't recall if I was wearing the boots. Maybe. If so it is likely imbedded in the leather. Not to serious.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is good to hear and makes sense as others would have had similar issues. I put some silicon lubricant on a door last week. I don't recall if I was wearing the boots. Maybe. If so it is likely imbedded in the leather. Not to serious.
It may fade over time, but even if not it'll certainly blend in more as the shoes darken and get more scuffed up.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't worry about them, you will stain them in a bar or worse in bar bathroom, think of those issues as "building patina". To be fair this is easy to say since I love my shoes and cars to look pristine, but as my brother said "if you want them pristine exhibit them in a museum"

Some fine gents in the shoe care thread might have great suggestions (https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...als-photos-etc.228153/page-1645#post-10520916).

Cheers

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it is silicone, it isn't going to come out very easily, you might try covering area with cornstarch or baby powder and leaving it on overnight, then reapply if needed.

ifticar2

Reaction score
If it is silicone, it isn't going to come out very easily, you might try covering area with cornstarch or baby powder and leaving it on overnight, then reapply if needed.

This exactly. I got some oil on my dune traveler loafers once, and I left baking soda on the stains over night, and they were pretty much gone the next day!

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
It may fade over time, but even if not it'll certainly blend in more as the shoes darken and get more scuffed up.

I agree that these do not look like water stains. I have some natural CXL (Vibergs) and water doesn't leave any noticeable marks. Probably the silicone oil as you described - those spots will probably fade and more or less not be visible as the boots age and patina. Ya, and these are only CXL boots, so what the heck.

Canwin12

Reaction score
I put corn starch on the side and toes and areas affected. Question: Will corn starch dry the boot oils or dis-color the leather? Appreciate the advise and opinions. I own Red Wing Chukkas in Briar Oil-Slick. I like the GS Dune Diesels better.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I put corn starch on the side and toes and areas affected. Question: Will corn starch dry the boot oils or dis-color the leather? Appreciate the advise and opinions. I own Red Wing Chukkas in Briar Oil-Slick. I like the GS Dune Diesels better.
Nope, won't hurt the boots at all, you can condition once the spots are gone, and if they don't disappear, wear the boots, beat them up, they are boots after all.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The burgundy leather laces from Guarded Goods seem like a great match for Crimson CXL much like their tan leather laces are great with bourbon suede and saddle tan.

3B001DD2-C11C-408B-B202-A765BE90DAC1.jpeg A1E6D16C-33A4-43A6-AD34-4D1E6A58EC0D.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads