• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

basu13

Reaction score
In anticipation of my first pair of suede footwear arriving soon ( Suede Ottawas) - wanted to check what is the care regime for Suede. Specifically- is the waterproofing spray essential/ recommended? I remember reading somewhere that the GS suede is resistant to water to start with.

Also for CXL boots - is the Venetian Shoe Balm enough, or does one need to invest in the Saphir oiled leather cream?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just brush the suede with a regular horsehair brush usually. I have a brush for suede, but I don’t think it makes much sense to use unless the knap is really dirty and flat.

delmar

Reaction score
I use a white nylon bristle brush--the kind you'd use to scrub a bathtub. I don't use any kind of spray or treatments.

mabbott29

Reaction score
Who else picked up stuff from GS on the first day of the Black Friday sale?

Also- How long does it typically take for orders to reach destinations in the USA from the date of shipping?
In for loafers in bourbon suede and Chelseas in black calf. GS pairs 6 and 7.

masticore99

Reaction score
In anticipation of my first pair of suede footwear arriving soon ( Suede Ottawas) - wanted to check what is the care regime for Suede. Specifically- is the waterproofing spray essential/ recommended? I remember reading somewhere that the GS suede is resistant to water to start with.

Also for CXL boots - is the Venetian Shoe Balm enough, or does one need to invest in the Saphir oiled leather cream?

I use Saphir suede renovateur spray and Saphir invulner after having to clean using suede soap. But it’s not necessary at first. Tarrago nano protector is cheaper but from what I’ve heard it’ll never come off so I’d be more cautious. Regular clean just use a stiff brush. There’s cheap wire suede brushes but also more expensive boar hair brushes.

VS cream/balm is sufficient for cxl as that’s what’s recommended by GS and by Horween.

masticore99

Reaction score

This cobbler video goes into more detail

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered yesterday, arrived today. That’s damn efficient! I wasn’t sure what to expect from the Kangaroo, and I’m not the biggest fan of the Ottawa Boot. But, I have to say this might be one of the nicest drop from them in a while. Now I must decide on laces. Lol!
240AF67C-AE62-408A-AC8C-D43C9AE3A0E9.jpeg
E91104A2-A44D-4C3D-ACB7-C05FF9458303.jpeg
016D9032-EBB9-4E68-98B0-B3B3FA466B68.jpeg
0ADD2510-D8DC-47E6-A683-E13D5D1ECAE4.jpeg

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
I use Saphir suede renovateur spray and Saphir invulner after having to clean using suede soap. But it’s not necessary at first. Tarrago nano protector is cheaper but from what I’ve heard it’ll never come off so I’d be more cautious. Regular clean just use a stiff brush. There’s cheap wire suede brushes but also more expensive boar hair brushes.

VS cream/balm is sufficient for cxl as that’s what’s recommended by GS and by Horween.
Yes I have been affirmatively told not to use saphir on shell or cxl. Thats best for “regular” leathers.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What this? They’re the two pair on the bottom shelf, left side. Interesting thing in these parts (Styleforum), there are people with collections that make this collection look like child’s play…perhaps you’re one of them? ?

Actually, I need to move/unload some to make room for some new incoming pairs.

View attachment 1702086
Yay! You still have my snuff tankers!

hses212

Reaction score

I don't have any GS suede, but my understanding is that it's C.F. Stead Repello, which is treated with Scotchgard at the factory (you could confirm with them). I have that on a pair of sneakers that I've never sprayed with anything and they're still water- and dirt-resistant a couple of years and a few dozen wears later. They're black, though, so you can't really see any stains. Mud wipes right off.

I have some suede AE boots and sneakers that I sprayed with AE suede protector when new. It wears off over time but is amazing when new. I also bought a Kiwi (I think) brand suede cleaning kit that comes with an eraser and stiff brush with plastic bristles. That gets marks out easily from light grey suede.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads