• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moeck14

Reaction score
Pictures would be welcome, but I'm mainly interested to know how differently they feel and wear - rubber density, tread depth, whatever stands out.

There have been lengthy comparisons made between Dainite and the GS alternative, so why not analyze the new sole... for science!
From a wear standpoint, I utilize them for vastly different purposes. My AE Higgins Mill is my workboot around the house (and probably a full year older) while my GS Maduro Shell I wear around the office and out for casual events. From a feeling standpoint, I would say they feel the same while wearing them. The Itshide has worn down more on the heel but that is most likely due to their use. The GS hasn't shown any wear on the heel yet after many wears.
PXL_20211116_022945563.jpg
PXL_20211116_023213909.jpg

Tread depth on the GS is smaller than that on the Itshide. About half of the length and the Itshide has been worn for much longer period of time.
PXL_20211116_023558982.jpg
PXL_20211116_023653321.jpg

This isn't really noticable at all from a side profile.
PXL_20211116_023830474.jpg

The only other major difference I noticed is on the treads themselves and how far inward from the edge of the sole they are set. On the GS version, both are set equal distance towards the center of the sole. On the Itshide the outer edge is set the same distance as what the GS version is, but on the inner side the Itshide is closer to the edge itself.
PXL_20211116_024033916.jpg
PXL_20211116_024011440.jpg

Hope this helps!

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From a wear standpoint, I utilize them for vastly different purposes. My AE Higgins Mill is my workboot around the house (and probably a full year older) while my GS Maduro Shell I wear around the office and out for casual events. From a feeling standpoint, I would say they feel the same while wearing them. The Itshide has worn down more on the heel but that is most likely due to their use. The GS hasn't shown any wear on the heel yet after many wears. View attachment 1704586 View attachment 1704588
Tread depth on the GS is smaller than that on the Itshide. About half of the length and the Itshide has been worn for much longer period of time.
View attachment 1704589 View attachment 1704590
This isn't really noticable at all from a side profile.
View attachment 1704591
The only other major difference I noticed is on the treads themselves and how far inward from the edge of the sole they are set. On the GS version, both are set equal distance towards the center of the sole. On the Itshide the outer edge is set the same distance as what the GS version is, but on the inner side the Itshide is closer to the edge itself.
View attachment 1704592 View attachment 1704593

Hope this helps!

Fantastic! Everything I wanted to know and more - this is a great resource.

Seems like a matter of centering on the Higgins Mill's soles. You can see more care and attention was taken in building the Grant Stones.

Here's hoping for another run of those spectacular Maduro Brass Boots. :bigstar:

basu13

Reaction score
For Grant Stone veterans- what is the difference between saddle tan leather on the diesel boots and the British tan captoe leather ? Is there a substantial difference in the shade and texture/feel of the leather ?

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For Grant Stone veterans- what is the difference between saddle tan leather on the diesel boots and the British tan captoe leather ? Is there a substantial difference in the shade and texture/feel of the leather ?

The saddle tan leather is a heavy weight, casual, vegetable tanned article. It's a leather that patinas a lot over time, changing in color and highlighting the wear. The british tan is a french calf article, chrome tanned, with a tighter grain structure ideal for dressier patterns. It won't patina and bruise in the same fashion and will be easier to keep looking clean.

Moeck14

Reaction score
Just not a good morning, kind of tripped a bit over sleeping dog, spilled 1/2 cup of coffee on bourbon suede Ottawa's. So while they are drying after the suede shampoo, and I still wanted to wear suede GS today..The Ivory Suede Ottawa on leather sole View attachment 1704933
At least you weren't wearing these when you spilled the coffee. The bourbon will probably handle any potential stain much better.

sixstringsmash

Reaction score
The arctic grip sole is absolutely the best on ice, the colder they get, the grippier they become.

That's pretty much exactly what the cobbler was telling me when he was explaining them to me. I kind of can't wait for the first snow of the season now just so I can see how they perform!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads