• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keed

How much weather are you dealing with? Frankly, I think leather soles do better than most people think, but if you're in a lot of wet/snow/slush it is hard to beat a rubber sole, especially if you're wearing them a lot.

On pure aesthetics, it is hard to beat the Ottawa for me...
Winter sucks here in Illinois, rubber sole is needed if one wants to venture outside. However, I much prefer leather soles on shoes/boots. I do not like slipping and falling on my a**, which I seem to do all to often in leather sole/snow conditions. The new rubber sole Diesel boots are great in the snow and ice. Wore them today (4" of snow still on ground) If they-rubber sole- available in Ottawa, I would be ordering a pair.

jcatl

Reaction score
I'm in Atlanta and have some Dainite Tricker's or Red Wings I wear in heavy rain, and usually we don't get snow, but last night was an exception...

Reaction score
My Castango - Diesel boots arrived! My god are they warm and comfortable.

jaC6df4.jpg

G9eYzJ7.jpg

After some walking around:

Y8vduqJ.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Castango - Diesel boots arrived! My god are they warm and comfortable.

jaC6df4.jpg

G9eYzJ7.jpg

After some walking around:

Y8vduqJ.jpg
Wearing mine at the moment, really like them the rubber sole is just what I had hoped it would be. Not a giant lug, just the right amount of texture.
14502BF3-1F4F-45D3-B277-536045060330.jpeg

Reaction score
That was fast. They look great!

Thanks! @GrantStone shipped them out yesterday and I opted for UPS Next Day Air since it's been 25F and 21F today, highly awful and unusual weather here in South Texas.

Honestly loving them, they're far more comfortable than any of the AE's I've tried on.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMG_1766.jpg
IMG_1765.jpg
Agreed! Oh can you show me a pic of how you laced the shoes? I'm not familiar with boot lacing, and pretty sure I did it incorrectly :D.
Here is how I have them laced, up to 2nd speed hook, then around ankle and then tied. Good video of how to do this is on the Allen Edmonds website, under Normandy Boot.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks! That's a great help, will use that lacing method so I don't embarrass myself at work :D.
There isn’t a right or wrong way to lace boots, do what makes you happy :) with really long laces like on these boots, around the ankle is almost necessary to avoid a huge bow.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 910684 View attachment 910685
Here is how I have them laced, up to 2nd speed hook, then around ankle and then tied. Good video of how to do this is on the Allen Edmonds website, under Normandy Boot.

Wore the Saddle Tan Diesels in anticipation of opening a box from our friends today...
iVrQ8p9.jpg

I'm going to need to get something in veg tan... My records show zero purchases on the year which makes me long over due. The saddle tan and Castagno tan bluchers are at the of the list (unless a shell or light colored suede longwing appear on the radar).

I'm sporting the Ottawas for the second time this week. These have pretty minimal creasing given the wear I've put them through while the creases that have developed are very appealing. From my limited understanding of the shoemaking process, it seems to be evidence of high quality hides being used.

IMG-5112.JPG

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to need to get something in veg tan... My records show zero purchases on the year which makes me long over due. The saddle tan and Castagno tan bluchers are at the of the list (unless a shell or light colored suede longwing appear on the radar).

I'm sporting the Ottawas for the second time this week. These have pretty minimal creasing given the wear I've put them through while the creases that have developed are very appealing. From my limited understanding of the shoemaking process, it seems to be evidence of high quality hides being used.

View attachment 911095
Good hides and smart/careful use of hide sections for things like the vamp. I think your foot/gait/etc. also impact it, but I'm mightily impressed by what my Ottawas look like after at least 200 miles...

fabes

Reaction score

View attachment 911095
The more I see those black ottowas, the more I want a pair. Holding out for rubber soles and hoping they keep that antique color as I like the contrast of a rubber sole and the lighter colored leather midsole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads