• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grail watch opportunity!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Panerai = Ugh
Enormous Panerai = Ughlee

+1

Right down there with the AP ROO.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
In the world of Panerari's, the 233J is an iconic model to own.
Is that right?
eh.gif

I consider myself a loyal Panerista for many years, but I don't understand the appeal of that model. It's all over the place IMO and has lost most of the charm of Panerai's simple designs

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Is that right?
eh.gif

I consider myself a loyal Panerista for many years, but I don't understand the appeal of that model. It's all over the place IMO and has lost most of the charm of Panerai's simple designs

I'm don't follow the Panerari's that closely, but my understanding is that the 233J is special for a variety of reasons, several of which mentioned here. My point is that its set apart from the typical Seal.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
dXyjx5DT91kHeLCCf1G04FdYs2f-C98PvtlL84KtLI5nTVhl8HAzZ49qaJsCtvgAzXFz8tMzApE0RlukDUn6GKSKlj-3Tn1DCzJ32o4ythQ

I love the third IWC from the left on the top row. I've been considering that vs a Patrimony or Calavatra for a classic white-dial piece.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love the third IWC from the left on the top row. I've been considering that vs a Patrimony or Calavatra for a classic white-dial piece.

You'll have a hard time finding one. It's the Portuguese Jubilee, made only in 1993. They sell for ~$20k used.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You'll have a hard time finding one. It's the Portuguese Jubilee, made only in 1993. They sell for ~$20k used.

So I've discovered. Found one recently, but couldn't deal with the price tag. But... its lovely and worth considering next to a entry level VC or Patek.

Heck, I might just get a JLC Ultra Thin, and Senator Sixties instead.

contaygious

Reaction score
I'd pick either a GO or an IWC over Panerari anytime quality wise (design is a personal thing), but it does fit well with your style that's for sure.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
Grail watches - I own three of them. Of course each one would be the last watch I'd ever need. It never is. I suddenly lost the desire three years ago and just walked away from TZ, et cetera. My collection has been locked in at these 10 since then.
dXyjx5DT91kHeLCCf1G04FdYs2f-C98PvtlL84KtLI5nTVhl8HAzZ49qaJsCtvgAzXFz8tMzApE0RlukDUn6GKSKlj-3Tn1DCzJ32o4ythQ
One or two of them should probably go, namely one of the Panerai historics and maybe the Port Chrono. I wear them all though. The Lange and rose gold IWC get the least wrist time by far so they could free up a ton of money, but I just don't want to let them go. I was a Panerai hater for a long time. Then a watch collector friend and I started talking about them and in a perverse (at the time) way started thinking about buying some. We were able to get a great deal from Markus that put us in the position of trying them with a potential $100 downside . Once I strapped that PAM 111 on, I was hooked. I have many friends whom all the watch collectors here would know by name and most of them agree that their Panerai are the most fun watches to wear. These are people with serious collections who have handled and owned many complicated watches from Patek, Lange, VC, the boutique manufactures, etc. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you don't like Panerai; that's fine. However, TZ suffers from as much groupthink as SF (and very other online forum, I suppose). That mindset drills into your head that Rolex and Panerai suck. That's a decision that should be made by the individual. To PG's original post, I just don't like that particular PAM. I pretty much agree with mafoofan. The basic Historics and Radiomirs are where Panerai shines. They excel in strong design, not high complication. I definitely wouldn't sell one of your IWCs for that Panerai. What I do have a jones for though is the new IWC historics collection.

+1. Somehow the 8 day doesn't appeal to me also, and I was one of those back '02 looking forward to OP bringing out their 1st in-house movement. The historics, like the PAM111 and the Radiomir, like the Black Seal, were the ones that attracted me to the brand, and they still are. Of course I do not wish to rain on Crash's parade... I surely watches I'd like to purchase that might not be as popular here (the JLC Master Diving Chrono for one). If that model calls your name, go for it by all means. Life is too short. And don't sell the rest, too. And the reason I quoted Thurston is I've been a big (lurking) fan of his collection, even in TZ. That's probably my ideal collection, except I'd probably add a couple of GOs in the mix. Great set, Thurston!

kngrimm

Reaction score
In those small number of pictures (10), I cannot understand why someone thinks the Pans look beautiful... just don't get it.

The Lange One is gorgeous.. granted it's in another price range.

If you are going to sell anything.. I'd suggest the B&R - never been a fan of that either. Although it's similar to the pan, so the only thing I can say..

Go with what makes you smile and screw the other opinions... doesn't matter because if you wore a Pan around me or a bunch of others - we wouldn't care at all. So you shouldn't care about opinions at this point...

What watch will make you smile? That's the one...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These giant watches that are larger than some pocket-watches are not appealing.

George Daniels said in his interview that he finds most modern watches to be ungainly and ugly with no sense of proportion alongside some comments about the lack of technical artistry today.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've discovered. Found one recently, but couldn't deal with the price tag. But... its lovely and worth considering next to a entry level VC or Patek.

Heck, I might just get a JLC Ultra Thin, and Senator Sixties instead.

Vote for the JLC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads