• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grail watch opportunity!

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some quick "FLASH" shots from dinner last night with the new BOY (what will I call him).

Will take some more deserving shots later for WAYWT

L1020381.jpg

L1020388.jpg
L1020390.jpg

L1020392.jpg

L1020394.jpg

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I like it better on a rubber or croc strap though. I'm sure you already have a bunch of straps ready!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nice buy! I agree that the strap needs to be changed.

borderline

Reaction score
You should have purchased 10 Panerais without straps and arranged them on the pizza like pepperoni. Very...expensive...pepperoni.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually like the grey strap quite a bit. I've been thinking about doing a grey alligator strap with white stitching for my black dial Portuguese.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
congrats! so what did you end up trading in?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Congrats! I like it better on a rubber or croc strap though. I'm sure you already have a bunch of straps ready!
- I sure do. I tried the OEM rubber, just didn't look right unless I'm in a wet-suit
smile.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Nice buy! I agree that the strap needs to be changed.
- I didn't have much time from picking up the PAM to going directly dinner & I prefer to keep the OEM straps fresh
- I actually like the tool nylon strap factor, but see below for a different perspective

Originally Posted by mafoofan
I actually like the grey strap quite a bit. I've been thinking about doing a grey alligator strap with white stitching for my black dial Portuguese.
-
smile.gif

Originally Posted by sartort
congrats! so what did you end up trading in?
- I ended up selling my B&R & Inge very quickly on TZ.
- Have kept the Panda as I just love looking at face, though will plan for a IWC Port Auto 5001 (white face with blue hands & blue croc strap)

Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
PG/eGw - I'm sure dot is happy
- I think so, but Dot & I are now not a item..

L1020417W.jpg

L1020429W.jpg

L1020444W.jpg

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
the lack of technical artistry today.

I'd like to read this...do you have a link? I understand his disdain for today's proportions (though I don't think I feel as strongly as he does), but I don't understand the above. Today's best mechanicals feature some breathtakingly advanced and beautiful mechanics.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I'd like to read this...do you have a link? I understand his disdain for today's proportions (though I don't think I feel as strongly as he does), but I don't understand the above. Today's best mechanicals feature some breathtakingly advanced and beautiful mechanics.
It's actually a set of video interviews--he thinks that many of the complications done today are rather useless and lacks elegance--some of this I've read in print as well. I think it's in part 11: http://www.peoplesarchive.com/browse/movies/3008/ Here is a transcript: There is a huge interest in wristwatches at the moment, people collect them. I'm not sure why they collect them, because many of them can be obtained new in better condition, and if you have two identical wristwatches and one is 10 years older than the other and looks it, I can't see any point in buying that in preference to the one that's unmarked. And we find also looking at the outsides of the watches that they lack elegance there as well and the cases are obviously conjured up by stylists whose one obsession is to make the watch different to anyone else's and it's easy to do that and the results are usually unacceptable, and I think flicking through the watch magazines today, the majority of watches are crude, over styled, clumsy, brash and not the least bit appealing to me. I continue to stick to the old style. ----- We were talking about the elegance of watches and I think there's no doubt that the pocket watch is much more elegant than the wristwatch for the simple reason that there's less clutter of the components. For example, the chronograph of the wristwatch is very close together and the watch looks very cluttered with spikes protruding all the way round it, whereas in a pocket watch, which is much larger, that doesn't happen. ----- That doesn't really happen in wristwatches, as I said, they're too small and too many bits poking out of them. The lugs, the strap lugs and so forth. So the pocket watch has the advantage in elegance. Unfortunately it's - while it's very nice to wear a pocket watch in a waistcoat, not many people wear waistcoats now. I'm bound to say that I don't think very highly of anyone who walks down Bond Street without wearing a waistcoat, and those who do of course have the pleasure of their watch to amuse them.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I'm not a 'watch guy', reading this thread makes me understand how some non-SF guys must feel if they were to read threads some of the threads on suits or shoes that I take for granted i.e. most of those watches look the same to me and I truly can't appreciate the difference between a $500 watch and $5,000 watch.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Since I'm not a 'watch guy', reading this thread makes me understand how some non-SF guys must feel if they were to read threads some of the threads on suits or shoes that I take for granted i.e. most of those watches look the same to me and I truly can't appreciate the difference between a $500 watch and $5,000 watch.
- good for you! More $$$ for threads!
smile.gif

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- - ...but Dot & I are now not a item...
Does this mean a huge shirt order for Janzen and a play for the redhead? We could certainly endure a few more pictures of her in WAYWT.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido

L1020417W.jpg

L1020429W.jpg

L1020444W.jpg

Congrats - a very sweet watch indeed. I wish I could pull off the PAM - my skinny ass arms have enough trouble with my 42mm Planet Ocean....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads