• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grail watch opportunity!

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mobile rings..

I see the caller ID.. It's my dealer (watch)..

Usually I'm in regular enough for him not to call! So this means he has something for me!

He has a 2 month old Panerai 233 "J"... breath.. Jump in a cab!

I have been recently thinking about doing the shift from the 'welter weight' to 'middle weight' in watch collectibles, this means that I will have to fore go 2 (or 3) of my current rotation to make the initial "sunken cost".

So I have put my recently acquired B&R & SS IWC Inge for sale (though I should really keep the Inge as it has the in-house movt, but the Panda is such a sweet face).

If I was to sell the Panda, then the natural replacement would be the SS IWC Port Auto 5001..

But that is another sleepless night..

SPEAK SOME SENSE INTO ME!!!

Here is the 233 (not my pics so credit goes to?)
luminor19508daysgmt-vi.jpg

ZZ7.jpg

00012196.jpg

00011513.jpg

00011515.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Beautiful. I would certainly trade in the IWC and B&R for that PAM.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Beautiful. I would certainly trade in the IWC and B&R for that PAM.

What he said. Honestly I'm not a fan of either the Inge Auto or the Bell & Ross.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd stick with an in-house IWC and get a basic, ETA-powered Panerai. Since Panerai never made its own movements in the past, you'd be sticking to the strengths of each brand.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep the Panda and get that Panerai.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mostly a curiousity, but what would the asking price be for your "Panda"? PM me if you wish.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'd stick with an in-house IWC and get a basic, ETA-powered Panerai. Since Panerai never made its own movements in the past, you'd be sticking to the strengths of each brand.
- but this 233 is their 1st in-house movt.. GMT, date, 8-10 day power reserve & manual..

Originally Posted by PandArts
Keep the Panda and get that Panerai.
- That is the short term plan, but the IWC 5001 or 5004 is the next natural step in the IWC food chain

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- but this 233 is their 1st in-house movt.. GMT, date, 8-10 day power reserve & manual.

I know, but it's arguably not consistent with the brand's historical character or strength.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, but it's arguably not consistent with the brand's historical character or strength.

Noted..

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the 233J is certainly more rare than the IWC, and may even appreciate above what you pay.

Hopefully you're getting it for $10-$11k in which case, I'd say keep the Panda and lose the others (from what I've seen you post, most are replaceable).

The 233J seems well within your style, although to my eye its been a little over rated as a timepeice.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never thought of the day when you refer to not making in-house movement as a "strength".
crazy.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Never thought of the day when you refer to not making in-house movement as a "strength".
crazy.gif

I normally wouldn't, but Panerais are nicer design pieces than they are watches. As the latter, they are very overpriced. From what I know, most of the work that went into developing the 233's movement was actually culled from Jaeger LeCoultre--an 8-day Reverso is much cheaper than the 233.

timeless

Reaction score
What about the size issue...you said you have a 6.5 inch wrist and both B&R and the Panda are about 42mm....at 44mm the GMT is a much larger heavier watch.

I also have a 6.5" wrist and have a 40mm Luminor as well as 42mm Radiomir but found the 44mm panny like a suitcase on my arm!

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also recently liquidated my collection because I got "the call" from my AD for my holy grail watch. My advice would be to get what you truly want and like. But, don't forget about wearability. If you are liquidating important aspects of your daily wear, I'd try to keep what you can to cover the bases.

Watches are like drugs though, you always say it's the last one but it never is. I thought my holy grail would be my last watch, but I've already bought another watch about a month after buying my holy grail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads