• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grail watch opportunity!

16520Man

Reaction score
One more vote for Panerai love.

00116%2009.jpg

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a Panerai fan - the design doesn't really appeal to me, and I feel like it is the watch version of a Hummer H2 -- big boxy body on a pedestrian Chevy frame.

That said, I am obviously in the minority. Lots and lots of people love the watches. The beauty of a Panerai is that if you decide you don't like it you can sell it very easily. I'm not sure the IWC and the B&R are in the same category as far as resale potential.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is my take PG, and keep in mind, it's just my opinion. i've seen your watches on the WAYWN thread and other threads on this board. Your IWC Panda is my grail watch. So it would be a grievous sin to get rid of that one. I really like your B&R as well, mainly because you mated a really nice, unique band to go with it. I also like the SS finish. Your IWC ING is my least favorite of your collection and frankly I do not like it. Just not a big fan of the shape. I would be comfortable with you exchanging the IWC ING for the PAM + cash. As you can see I am living vicariously through your purchase. I guess I would be comfortable with the B&R + ING for the Panerai, but not as much.
wink.gif
Do whatever makes your heart tick. Good luck with your decision (just don't let the Panda go).

m_wave

Reaction score
Whatever you do please keep the Panda..

I'm not so much of a fan of your other 2

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
the 233J is certainly more rare than the IWC, and may even appreciate above what you pay.

Hopefully you're getting it for $10-$11k in which case, I'd say keep the Panda and lose the others (from what I've seen you post, most are replaceable).

The 233J seems well within your style, although to my eye its been a little over rated as a timepeice.

- I was waiting for your wise & considered words.. You & Mafoofan are my WIS words of reality (a pity that at this point both are duelling!)

Originally Posted by whacked
Never thought of the day when you refer to not making in-house movement as a "strength".
crazy.gif

- me to

Originally Posted by mafoofan
I normally wouldn't, but Panerais are nicer design pieces than they are watches. As the latter, they are very overpriced. From what I know, most of the work that went into developing the 233's movement was actually culled from Jaeger LeCoultre--an 8-day Reverso is much cheaper than the 233.
- & my other voice of reason speaks..

Originally Posted by timeless
What about the size issue...you said you have a 6.5 inch wrist and both B&R and the Panda are about 42mm....at 44mm the GMT is a much larger heavier watch.

I also have a 6.5" wrist and have a 40mm Luminor as well as 42mm Radiomir but found the 44mm panny like a suitcase on my arm!

- I used to have a PAM 183G aka Black Seal (& that was 45 mm - no real issue there), Have had 2 Omega 45.5 mm PO (again no problems there).

Originally Posted by atlsart
Can we see a picture of the panda?
- DUDE! Go to the WAYW thread, the Panda get's featured at least 3 times a week!

Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Are you sure you won't miss the Inge too much?
- I love the Inge, but not as much as the Panda.. I also prefer straps to bracelets (in & it of the work room..)

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- I was waiting for your wise & considered words.. You & Mafoofan are my WIS words of reality (a pity that at this point both are duelling!)

I think we're both in agreement in regards to the cost / value ratio. That said, those that like Paneraris - REALLY like them. I've not many people who've regretted owning one.

In the world of Panerari's, the 233J is an iconic model to own. So I think it comes down to how much the style speaks to you. I suspect, given your tastes it would be a good fit and you'd kick yourself for missing the opportunity to own it.

However, like many, I wouldn't sell the Panda in order to get the 233. Dip into savings or hawk a few of your awesome ties to help fund it. I say that because both the 233j and Panda models are harder to come by and will most likely always have a strong demand.

I personally have had to stop reading TZ because the desire for a Patrimony and/or a Senator Sixties was getting way too strong. In my case, both models are readily available, so I can wait for bonus time. For you, the 233j isn't waiting for you at every watch dealer and won't often be available at a discount.

Hopefully we'll see it soon on WAYWT!

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a bad taste in my mouth for Panerais since the one I owned broke after a month of wear. I had to send it back for repair and it was just not a good feeling. Of course nothing is perfect but I guess the first impression just kind of turned me off. That's not to say I don't want a 249 though!

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell, you're one of the few people in the world that can wear a square B&R and make it look good. I'd keep it for that very reason.

I like the PAM but I also got tired of mine - not a comfortable watch to wear.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
From what I can tell, you're one of the few people in the world that can wear a square B&R and make it look good. I'd keep it for that very reason.

I agree...you make that watch look good with your awesome casual dress.

Kookz

Reaction score
Phat Guido,

I'm new to the forums and have been going through the WAYWN thread, and the Bell and Ross on the khaki sail cloth sold me on the watch.

Off to TimeZone I headed to see what was available, and lo and behold the first post I click on brought some pictures I had just seen! Nobody has this much luck in a single day as I had already done well in the market and beat my girlfriend in Scrabble, and sadly, I turned out to be right when I saw that you were just waiting on funds.

If the funds don't come through, please let me know.

BTW - I'm a huge fan of the 159 SW as well, and think it's a much better proportioned car than the Brera.

Toorman

Reaction score
I feel your pain. The 233 was my grail watch as well. It's a stunning watch that can be easily dressed up with a gator strap or worn casually with an ammo strap or any number of combos in between. Also, the 1950 case wears a little smaller than the Luminor case and the domed crystal is amazing. Personally, I would sell the B&R as it can be repurchased at any time, keep the Panda as a "dress" watch and add the 233. I purchased my 233 back in late February and love it. Also, as stated, if you find it is not to your liking, you will be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grail watches - I own three of them. Of course each one would be the last watch I'd ever need. It never is. I suddenly lost the desire three years ago and just walked away from TZ, et cetera. My collection has been locked in at these 10 since then.
dXyjx5DT91kHeLCCf1G04FdYs2f-C98PvtlL84KtLI5nTVhl8HAzZ49qaJsCtvgAzXFz8tMzApE0RlukDUn6GKSKlj-3Tn1DCzJ32o4ythQ

One or two of them should probably go, namely one of the Panerai historics and maybe the Port Chrono. I wear them all though. The Lange and rose gold IWC get the least wrist time by far so they could free up a ton of money, but I just don't want to let them go.

I was a Panerai hater for a long time. Then a watch collector friend and I started talking about them and in a perverse (at the time) way started thinking about buying some. We were able to get a great deal from Markus that put us in the position of trying them with a potential $100 downside . Once I strapped that PAM 111 on, I was hooked. I have many friends whom all the watch collectors here would know by name and most of them agree that their Panerai are the most fun watches to wear. These are people with serious collections who have handled and owned many complicated watches from Patek, Lange, VC, the boutique manufactures, etc. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you don't like Panerai; that's fine. However, TZ suffers from as much groupthink as SF (and very other online forum, I suppose). That mindset drills into your head that Rolex and Panerai suck. That's a decision that should be made by the individual.

To PG's original post, I just don't like that particular PAM. I pretty much agree with mafoofan. The basic Historics and Radiomirs are where Panerai shines. They excel in strong design, not high complication. I definitely wouldn't sell one of your IWCs for that Panerai. What I do have a jones for though is the new IWC historics collection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads