• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grad School Attire

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I start grad school at Texas A&M in the fall and I'm unsure of what to expect for a dress code. I want to look professional but not look like I am trying too hard. I have a few suits for more formal occasions but I have no idea what to expect for day to day wear. Any help is much appreciated.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think boots, blue jeans, camouflage t shirt, and A&M hat is the standard dress for College Station.

I really wish I was kidding.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that's true for undergrad but I'm hoping its a little dressier for grad school. It's for public administration if that helps.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wore anything more than dress shoes, a button down collar shirt, and dress slacks at A&M you would probably stick out. That being said, when I visited there I wore a 3 piece suit
laugh.gif

However, I don't have to live there. If you want to dress nice, a sportcoat with a nice shirt, trousers, and shoes will fit the bill just fine. I am all for wearing ties, but College Station is not the place for them.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I just bid on a great looking sport coat so that advice sounds great.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texastyle
I know that's true for undergrad but I'm hoping its a little dressier for grad school. It's for public administration if that helps.

It makes little difference and changing status grad versus undergrad does not imply any reason why your outlook on clothes should change. Enjoy being young while you can.

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
It makes little difference and changing status grad versus undergrad does not imply any reason why your outlook on clothes should change. Enjoy being young while you can.

This. No harm in smartening up a wee bit but you're still at college.
I would expect GBR's sound advice to be lost in an avalanche of posts from 20 year olds who've been wearing bespoke suits to class since High School.
ffffuuuu.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texastyle
I know that's true for undergrad but I'm hoping its a little dressier for grad school.
It's not. If anything, it's worse.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's almost no difference in dress between grad school and undergrad in most programs. Some people will throw on a decent shirt when they have to teach; I never saw a single person wearing a sport coat.

The foreign students can be hilarious. One girl wore almost all Playboy branded clothing, one guy apparently had taken his fashion cues from Walker Texas Ranger. Kind of scary to think that this is what "American culture" looks like from overseas.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
This, for the most part, is sound advice. That said, when I was in b-school, I tried to avoid looking ratty, as did most of my serious classmates.

shonuf323

Reaction score
When I went to grad school a few years after undergrad, I had the same notion that I needed to dress up for class. This, however, is a myth.

The only people who were "dressed up" were the people that were coming from work, the other people wore what they would normally wear. Some looked like slobs others looked well put together, but no one was wearing suits and sport coats unless there was a need to.

Yachting Man

Reaction score
American university campus attire is casual no matter what year you're in. (excluding the ivy's but they're pretty casual as well)

Keep it casual. I wouldn't go any further than:

Shirt, khakis, dress shoes (nothing too formal)

marg

Reaction score
just don't look homeless and you will be fine.

to stand out (in a positive way), picture an outfit or look that would make a great impression on you if someone else wore it. wear that. more importantly, act mature and friendly; you never know who you will work with/for in the future, and you want to make connections everywhere you can.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamstom