• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

got somebody fired today

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not my best day - there was an emplyee of my company, didn't report to me but I was her sole internal customer. she was really bad at her job, and I have been struggling with it for more than a year. I tried hard to help her get better, then I just gave up and worked at getting her posiiton outsourced. not very happy about it - she is a woman in her late forties or maybe early 50's, I am sure she really needed the job. but she was really lousy at it and in the end I am hoping that she will get a job that is better suited to her abilities.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Is there something else within the company that you feel she would have been good at? Any opportunity to transition her to another position?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That sucks. Is there something else within the company that you feel she would have been good at? Any opportunity to transition her to another position?

Obviously not.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
not my best day - there was an emplyee of my company, didn't report to me but I was her sole internal customer. she was really bad at her job, and I have been struggling with it for more than a year. I tried hard to help her get better, then I just gave up and worked at getting her posiiton outsourced. not very happy about it - she is a woman in her late forties or maybe early 50's, I am sure she really needed the job. but she was really lousy at it and in the end I am hoping that she will get a job that is better suited to her abilities.

Always tough to do, and especially hard in this economy. But you did the right thing, and a more deserving person will get the job.

Monaco

Reaction score
I'm sure it would've been easier for you if she would've been a *****. Its unfortunate for her though, was there any sort of company procedural manual that you could've given her for a re-training? Did you at least warn her that you had to report her if she didn't get better?

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take the job
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

the big problem is that she was hired for this specific job, and didn't have the right qualifications. I guess anything else in the company that she cold do would pay substantially less.

we did try, extensivly, to help her get better at the job. its not an easy situaiton - she lacked the ability to multitask and the attention to detail that the job requires, and at her age a person doesn't abtain those traits.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure that's tough, but it sounds like you did what you could to help her. Sometimes people just aren't good at a particular task, and they need to move on. If this woman wasn't hacking it, and she didn't realize it, then you did what you had to do.

Syl

Reaction score
Don't feel bad. Someone who's not capable of doing a job shouldn't be there. If you tried your best to improve her and it didn't work, she wasn't deserving of the job, regardless of her personal situation, age etc.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it strangely reassuring that Globetrotter periodically posts an ethical management dilemma, it's nice to know someone somewhere actually cares about what they're doing.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If she was hired specifically for that job yet lacked the ability to do it, someone in HR needs to get fired, too.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Who outsourced your spelling and grammar?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
If she was hired specifically for that job yet lacked the ability to do it, someone in HR needs to get fired, too.

How long have you been working?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Syl
Don't feel bad. Someone who's not capable of doing a job shouldn't be there. If you tried your best to improve her and it didn't work, she wasn't deserving of the job, regardless of her personal situation, age etc.
I agree. In the long run you did her and the company a favor. I hate to see people fired, but if it's not a good fit, then it needs to be done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads