• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

got somebody fired today

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
If she was hired specifically for that job yet lacked the ability to do it, someone in HR needs to get fired, too.

+1

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
not my best day

Why? You got a business to run, not a charity. You went beyond the call of duty with that woman. From what you described she was way over her head, and had no business being in that position for as long as she was. You made the effort to help, and that says plenty about your character.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Why? You got a business to run, not a charity. You went beyond the call of duty with that woman. From what you described she was way over her head, and had no business being in that position for as long as she was. You made the effort to help, and that says plenty about your character.

you dont know why? sure, he has a business to run . but perhaps he had a good relationship with her as a person. who knows? maybe he is just human. sometimes you remove the 'business' side of things , it still is a little sad to remove some happiness from another human being. you dont understand as a human with a heart?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you dont know why? sure, he has a business to run . but perhaps he had a good relationship with her as a person. who knows? maybe he is just human. sometimes you remove the 'business' side of things , it still is a little sad to remove some happiness from another human being. you dont understand as a human with a heart?
So keeping work strictly professional does not make you human? When you work with someone good, or bad feelings do develop, but like I said before he did everything he could. She, and whoever hired her should be the ones hurting right now.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
So keeping work strictly professional does not make you human?

When you work with someone good, or bad feelings do develop, but like I said before he did everything he could. She, and whoever hired her should be the ones hurting right now.

you can be strictly professional sure, but it is understandable and human to feel you had a bad day to do what he did. even after he did everything he could for her. still. he can justify everything and it all fills nicely and properly in the boxes on the papers, but at the end of the day, as a human it still hurts to see this done if you had to do it. that is all.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
, but at the end of the day, as a human it still hurts to see this done if you had to do it. that is all.

+1. Globe is a good guy, he's not Scrooge. What kind of a human can see another person lose their job and not at least feel some kind of remorse for them?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can be strictly professional sure, but it is understandable and human to feel you had a bad day to do what he did. even after he did everything he could for her. still. he can justify everything and it all fills nicely and properly in the boxes on the papers, but at the end of the day, as a human it still hurts to see this done if you had to do it. that is all.

This is obviously bothering him because he took the time to make a thread about it. He shouldn't blame himself, or feel guilty though.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
This is obviously bothering him because he took the time to make a thread about it. He shouldn't blame himself, or feel guilty though.

oh yeah i agree with you there. and im sure globe knows better too, you cant blame yourself or feel guilty. there is no guilt for this.
just emotionally it is a different matter. emotionally tender enough to write about it.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh yeah i agree with you there. and im sure globe knows better too, you cant blame yourself or feel guilty. there is no guilt for this. just emotionally it is a different matter. emotionally tender enough to write about it.
So this was a sweet gesture on his part? I have a feeling he is beating himself over this...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like she was fired/let go for all the right reasons. It isn't fair to anyone at your company to keep her on when she isn't performing.

Agnacious

Reaction score

I know now why you cry.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Though I don't see anything wrong with letting someone go for being incompetent, I find it odd GLobe needed to have the position outsourced to get rid of her. Is it that hard in reality to get people bad at their jobs fired?

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that globe. That is a difficult situation and never fun for either party involved.
Unfortunately, it sounds like it was necessary. While you have already gone above and beyond for her, if it is still bothering you, perhaps you have some professional contacts you could speak with who could point her in some direction to start her job search?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangfastic
I find it strangely reassuring that Globetrotter periodically posts an ethical management dilemma, it's nice to know someone somewhere actually cares about what they're doing.

yeah, I'm not loosing any sleep over this, but I'm not thrilled, either. I don't really like like to fire people, espectially not in this economy, but I have inherited several people who couldn't do what I needed them to do, and I had to let them go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads