• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got my teeth whitened

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
<----- Dentist I tend to agree with the above. Personally, the spas up here don't/can't offer whitening. I'd be interested to hear more about the details of the treatment if you happen to reply Mauro.
plain.gif

The dentist whitening is done either through zoom or britesmile. Both are brands of the same company since one got sued and was subsequently bought out. Britesmile has branches of its own outside dental offices and in spas. I haven't seen Zoom branches. The company that sells both does so in a way that dentists have to buy the equipment for one and lease it for the other. They are both great and run around 500 or so. There is also at home, tray whitening or strips. The trays are still a few hundred and work more slowly. They have different formulations (20%, 30%, etc.) and can work well. Crest strips also work well for the price but not as well as the higher strength tray treatments or the britesmile/zoom. If your teeth don't whiten much after the bleaching, it's because that's their natural color. If you were to get a veneer for example, they might recommend doing an at home kit and also the britesmile/zoom after just so you can be sure what the natural color is when they match. Enjoy.

athletics

Reaction score
And also, I know some people that tried the Crest strips and didn't think it helped at all. However since its so gradual, you almost don't notice the change until you either look at an old picture or someone straight out asks if you got your teeth whitened.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
can anyone confirm what a dentist whitening costs? (ballpark)

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
In brief, according to the literature, yes. But, only micromillimeters - probably the same effect as a month's worth of soft drinks or something like that.

The more "real" problem is the potential for sensitivity and a transient pulpitis effect. (And, a temporary decrease in bond efficiency for composites/cements, but that is a bit of a stretch for the purpose of SF.)

OT, but how much long-term damage do drinks like Coke cause?

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
can anyone confirm what a dentist whitening costs? (ballpark)
Here in "rural" Canada, an at-home delivery system with custom trays will range from $350-$500 whereas as high-concentration one appointment treatment will range from $800-1000. In larger Canadian cities I can imagine at least 50% added to these fees. I don't even want to guess what dentists bill in the US for these treatments.
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
So...do soft drinks also whiten your teeth?
Nope, but... You know, that'd make for an interesting study, because I could potentially see some merit to the notion that clear soft drinks could provide a whitening effect. That said, the side effects would ensure that this topic would never make it past the ethics committees.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
OT, but how much long-term damage do drinks like Coke cause?

They can cause immense damage.

I apologize for the vague and obvious answer that follows, but it's the truth:

It all depends on how/when the drinks are consumed and especially how often they are consumed. Soft drinks are sort of a double-whammy in a sense because they are loaded with sugar but also are of a low (acidic) pH. I have seen many "coke-addicts" with thin, fragile enamel and grossly carious teeth. That said, oftentimes these individuals lack oral hygiene and have other health problems as well, so it is difficult to come up with a conclusion based on any direct correlation.

For example, I'll admit that I drink a lot of soft drinks and sport drinks - probably between 350mL and 1L per day, but yet I don't have any signs of damage.
blush.gif

If you do drink these drinks often, drink them through a straw, drink them relatively rapidly, and avoid brushing for about 30 minutes afterwards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads