Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

So you dislike all high waisted trousers because of an 80s/90s trend? I don't think mom jeans look all that bad, as long as they're in a dark wash denim. BNtailor had some awesome higher waisted jeans on their Instagram a while back.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Hawt

3. kulata

kulata Senior member

It looks better with belts on and will look better with suspenders. From my layman's eyes, it looks like your body will be hard to fit by any tailor so I won't recommend just jumping tailors since bespoke fit improves with time, but I would advice you suspend all future commissions till you've educated yourself on proper pant fit and use that knowledge to guide your tailor. Phat Guildo and other hong kong SFers did the same thing and got good results. Fix the diaper issue, widen the hips and the leg and it will look decent. At that price, I don't really fault your decision.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  4. in stitches

We need Noodles back. : (

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Does anyone know where to get a nice, but not super expensive fair isle/Christmas sweater? One that's not too dark, so it can be worn under a navy blazer.

6. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Drake's has a pretty extensive (maybe expensive) collection: http://www.drakes.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=fairisle

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Is his wife on to his extended time in the bathroom to post on SF trick? What about when he's at work? I'm surprised he's not posting. Perhaps she took his phone.

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thank you, those are very nice, but a bit too expensive for me. My last one accidentally went in the dryer, causing it to shrink 2 sizes. Not something I'd like to risk with an expensive sweater.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kulata just mentioned price, and Iso, you've mentioned it a number of times.

Whether or not you purchase something should be influenced by price. Whether or not you are happy with something shouldn't be.*

You should not be happy with those pants. Not for a hundred dollars. Not for fifty. Not for free. Now, you've got to wear pants, I understand (this isn't Baltimore after all), but the attitude of "well, it's ok given the price" will leave you destined for disappointment.

By all means go back to your tailor. Get some pictures and circle the parts unacceptable. If you can't see it, I'm sure one of us will be happy to circle it for you. Go in. Tell them your next pair of pants shouldn't have these issues.

Do not get into the habit of settling when it is unnecessary to settle.

* you need a car and only have a grand to spend, so you buy a beater stinking of rum and old sex, with paint peeling off, springs bursting through seats, and "wash me" keyed into the hood. It may give you hepatitis. Now, if you need to get to work and that car is the only one available, buying it is the right choice. But you shouldn't be happy driving your '88 Dodge Thundershart.

10. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

It's funny because when my fiancee found out I was checking my phone all the time for SF posts she basically said "I'm actually happy you're just chatting with a bunch of suit nerds, I have could been spending my time worrying about other women instead"

11. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Okay, I can't take it anymore. Screw this. I'll just SF at work, and never outside of work.

So, here's a summary of what's going on in my sartorial life:
    1. Waiting on Formosa navy birdseye suit. Will pull the trigger when I get the twitter alert.
    2. Will go get a $500~ suit from Suit Supply this or next weekend. Lazio or Napoli per Kulata's advice.
    3. Sold the last Zegna suit that never fit me from the start but will keep the other 2 as beaters.
    4. I was polishing my shoes with a bathroom towel. Is this bad? Should I take my wife's stocking or something?
    5. Want to start looking at odd jacket and trousers look (OJT). So here is what I have in mind to start off. Let me know your thoughts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

She's apparently monitoring his posting on here as well, so if he posts in the open he gets in trouble.

I think murl needs to post a picture of a smaller purse for his nads ;)

Edit: Wow. He lives!

@The Noodles , that would go awesome together except that the jacket would look too suit-ish maybe? I'll defer to @Cleav @Murlsquirl @in stitches about this though.

Side note, just get a few terry cloths or use old ripped socks to polish shoes + horse brushes first to get the dirt off. If the towels are soft, it's probably fine, but stockings aren't going to work and I'm sure your wife isn't going to like your snooping around her hosiery lol.

13. in stitches

This should have been Noodles CT.

Also, pant are sometimes required even in Baltimore.

That combo he posted would be awesome. As to the jacket being "to suitish," if Greg is selling it on NMWA as a SC, then it is unquestionable not too suitish.

14. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

No, she doesn't check if I am posting on SF. She got better things to do than that...i.e. make me a sandwich!

Can someone explain to me what the heck my CT means???

15. in stitches

Also, Noodles, for serious, has your wife "banned" you from SF indefinitely, and if so, please tell me why, very specifically, why.