Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Surely an odd jacket is better than no jacket at all? And, again, this is a problem of your own creation. Wear the suit, hang up the jacket, and you're exactly where you are now, but covered for unexpected meetings.

3. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

U no likey?

[​IMG]

4. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

Thanks all for the comments a couple days ago. I was able to use my wife's dslr to take some better pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can see the minor skirting in the Lazio. I will probably return it anyways as it's a light brown and doesn't fit my needs as a staple suit.

Any other thoughts? Is it worth it to see if my tailor can clean up the back of the London?

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

With the new pictures, I'm leaning toward the regular length for you. Do you still have that around?

6. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

Ah, no I returned it, unfortunately. I had bought it just to try on for size and felt it was too short as it didn't fully cover my rear.

Do you think maybe the longs are looking too long because I didn't put on shoes this time?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  7. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

This. Hard to imagine a dress code that strongly encourages suits, and expressly prohibits an odd jacket, but coming to work in just trousers, shirt and tie is ok. Clearly the assumption in your office is that if you are walking around in shirtsleeves that your suit jacket is in your office or on the back of your chair and not your home.

8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Shoes would not change where the bottom of the jacket falls on your body. The longs are an inch-inch and a half too long for your frame imo

9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Obviously Styleforum's servers have had their DNS addresses hacked by some external force in the past 36 hours. This might be because the same servers are also hosting politically sensitive websites, or just because someone posted a four-pattern bingo and Spectre decided enough was enough.

I solved the looping problem by switching my DNS servers to OpenDNS in my router:

The reason some people were reporting "can't get on at work, can at home/mobile whatever" is that the two devices (or their networks) were set up to use different DNS servers. If you're having the problem at work, you could be sh*t outta luck unless you can convince your webmeister to change to (or even just add) these two DNS server addresses.

As to why OpenDNS can "find" Styleforum whereas some other servers can't, well, that's some very complicated internet voodoo which my tiny intellect can partially grasp for a few minutes at a time, but then I find I can't tie my shoelaces any more.

Noodles, don't get a SC with patch pockets. (All the photos you posted had those.) Go for flaps or jetted. This will fit better with your work zeitgeist.

10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

There you go. I was partially right. See Fok's note which has just started appearing at the top of each site page.

11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Now I'm not so sure my "fix" worked. Problem still occurring intermittently.

12. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

My access has been intermittent. Mostly I can't get on. I did e-mail [email protected] a couple of hours ago, and received the following, very quick, reply:

"Unfortunately, we changed servers last night, anticipating no issues, but we had some rerouting problems. The were fixed yesterday, but the changes have not all propagated downstream yet. I think that the local ISPs are the bottleneck right now, but clearing your caches *might* speed up the process. Sorry for the inconvenience"

So apparently the problem, if you're having one, is with your ISP.

I suggested posting a notice.

Don't know when I'll be able to get back on.

Cheers,

Ac

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I feel like we could make a reality show out of some of the things Noodles is posting in this thread. I mean that in the best possible way and like Noodles, but every so often I feel like I am having a "this could only happen to you" moment similar to some things that occur to good friends of mine.

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I can't access via mobile. [​IMG]

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I can't access SF via:
    work computer
    mobile phone
    ipad
    work phone
    Just figured out that I have access on my home laptop computer but if my wife catches me, she will kiill me.
    ...I gotta go for now!~
    bye