1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Haha. I wish I can. But I like her happy.

2. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Aw~ newly weds.

I kid, it's good.

I'm so lucky I think for SF standards, that my partner enjoys menswear stuff, so we ogle at the same sort of stuff. We already share ties, pocketsquares, cufflinks, and tiebars, but if I could easily share shoes and just about everything else with them. Alas, not to be.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

No h8, but I can think of about 3 people, maybe 4, that really look tops, and who are solely bargain shoppers. It takes a lot of skill and serious dedication, and living in the right place and knowing where to look. Its no easy game.

99.99999% of people are far better off by be being patient and taking 5 times the amount of time, by spending a little more on each item, over a greater period of time, and getting more specific, good quality, items.

2 people like this.
  4. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Even for someone relatively new to this, I've spent quite a bit of time/money on clothes, and have to agree with this sentiment. I have bought things that are on their own reasonable buys, but because I have better things that I like more, don't really wear anymore.

5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

I've been through quite a bit in my life and consider myself lucky to be alive...so I just buy clothes like I'm gonna die tomorrow.

4 people like this.
  6. Murlsquirl

Word.

7. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I mean I actually have a mental illness that makes me spend money frivolously so in practice I also just buy whatever most of the time. All I can do is make the most of it by developing better taste.

8. in stitches

Word to big bird, brother man.

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've been through very little in my life but I do the same thing.

3 people like this.
  10. rms340

rms340 Senior member

Do your thing RTC. I'm sure the great thrifters didn't start out with the greatest finds. Also, I'm sure people who post great fits now purchased many things at full price and have now realized they were mistakes.

11. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

it's a requirement on the StyFo member app isn't it?

12. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

No...its more complicated.

The actual requirement is to always look amazing...which in turn requires frequent impulsive spending with no regard for common sense despite all of the signs that it could be a very destructive habit.

1 person likes this.
  13. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I dont know how Murl did it but you are one brave and patriotic dude. It has become somewhat cliche-ish but thank you and to others like yourself for putting their lives on the line for this great nation and its people.

2 people like this.
  14. in stitches

Again, sorry to be the dick, but I cannot, in good conscience, encourage furthering mediocrity. And while your second sentence is true, Id bet thrifters realize equal if not more mistakes, and while they may be less costly dollar wise, they are more costly time wise, regarding getting to ones peak. Imo.

1 person likes this.
  15. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

How so? Not sure how that follows.

16. Murlsquirl

Edit- Nevermind, I'll let Stitch take this.

17. in stitches

First off, let me say clearly, I have no hate towards thrifters, there are some top notch fit posters that are almost entirely thrifters, though some of them do "splurge" here and there. Maybe they drop 400 or so on a Spoo LuxeSwap suit... But again, I really feel they are the minority.

What I mean is this. Thrifting basically means, catch as catch can. You scour the racks, and notice a decent item, from a decent brand, for pennies on the dollar, so you get it. Keep doing that, and for the most part, you end up with a closet full of one offs, that dont really do much for building a wardrobe. Lets take RTCs recent fit with that real light blue, almost teal, SC. A great SC, sure, but its far from a staple, and its obvious when you wear it. Its not something that you can wear with a ton, and you cant wear it often without going noticed.

So, do that x 25, and you have 25 ok to nice items, that do not a wardrobe make. To really put together a solid wardrobe, you need to not take the leftovers. You need to hone in on what you need, find those items in good quality and well fitting iterations, and that is going to require bitting the bullet from time to time.

If that means you only get to kop every 2 to 3 months, instead of all time time, so be it, but in a few years you can have a killer closet, instead of a ton of fly by night "neat" items that are an aggregation of stuff one happened upon. In that sense, 2 years down the line, most hard core thrifters will have a weaker all around wardrobe than one who spends more, even if in quantity they have more items.

As well, it requires a little more brain and a little less heart, which is hard, because buying things is mostly an emotional experience, and to excel, you need to quash your emotions a bit. For example, did I "want" to buy a navy suit, or a bunch of variations of gray pants? No, not really, there were a lot more fun exciting items I wanted, but after doing that for a year, I realized that I had a weak wardrobe, even if expansive.

Id bet that most people think I have a lot of clothes. I dont. I have 5 SCs, 6 suits, about 8 pairs of pants, and ton of variations of boring blue shirts and mostly boring ties, and I think 5 usable PSs. But they are almost all interchangeable in combination, and they are all solid, well fitting, nice, items (imo). Some cost a pretty penny, others did not. Even shoes, which I feel I have a lot off, my number is 12 in total.

It took me 4 years to get here. The first 2 were essentially a loss. I was scrambling for all the coolest things I could find, and in the end, I had a lot of cool things, most of which I bought on the cheap, that were all over the place in terms of versatility. I have almost none of those items any more. The next 2 were spent selling off that stuff, and buying targeted, mostly higher priced, better, more useful, items. I spent more money in total, not exceedingly so, but certainly in the last 2 years more cheddar was spent than in the first 2. I have less items, but I have a much better, much more useful, wardrobe, now, than I did then.

And that is what I mean that imo, for most people, you gain more in the long run by spending more money on less items.

Oh, I dont make a lot of money. Dont think that Im some baller spouting off telling people to just spend spend spend like it means nothing. Im saying buck up, and spend more per item, according to your financial abilities, and over time, you will almost certainly be better off.

15 people like this.
  18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can think of exactly one member, possessing a mostly thrifted wardrobe, that I would consider well dressed.

2 people like this.
  19. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Great post Mr. Stitches...

1 person likes this.
  20. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Right, I dig where you're coming from now. No question, it's slower to thrift -- but I thought you were saying a given mistake thrifting would slow things down more than a mistake buying new stuff, when of course, the opposite is true. Thank goodness, because I've made tons of mistakes thrifting. Probably enough that I could have walked into, say, SuitSupply and rolled out with a perfectly nice suit (or made exactly one mistake at that end of the market). But I like to think I learned a thing or two that I wouldn't have otherwise.

That said, of course, when I can finally start on the second half of "buy less, buy better," I'll be up in here.

1 person likes this.