• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Three is the magic number. Then get a brown.

no, no it is not. maybe for you, but i would not make that a universal statement by a long shot.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I mean, clearly different people have different magic numbers. Which is why you can't say that three isn't the magic number. It may be mrjester's magic number. It certainly isn't mine. Mine is, like, 10.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mrjester 1013 and 1017 look pretty interesting to me, if you want something brown, and are good warm weather blends. 7725 if you want something blue. Soft construction and partially and any would be a nice addition.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I mean, clearly different people have different magic numbers. Which is why you can't say that three isn't the magic number. It may be mrjester's magic number. It certainly isn't mine. Mine is, like, 10.

I don't even have 3 sport coats, but I would definitely lean towards your number. I can think of 5 Navy(solid, herringbone, patterned one like mrjester, subtle pink windowpane, glenn plaid), 4 brown(herringbone, houndstooth, houndstooth w/ windowpane, glen plaid), Brown Cord SC, and a grey one I can't think of at the mo'.

If I had two navy, I'd definitely get this one next:
Oikeat_yhdistelm%C3%A4t_aseklubi2.jpg

What pattern is this called?

Coincidentally, I would also have several suits in all of those Navy patterns. What do y'all think? Too many?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seersucker odd jackets are great, though I think getting the suit and wearing the pants and jacket as separates may be a better plan. Of course, I would not be wild about the matching trousers from the picture you showed. I prefer blue and white seersucker to what is pictured and it is more common / classic, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the one you have your eye on. Just keep in mind it may not add as much versatility to your wardrobe as a blue / white seersucker jacket.

Agreed - I like this particular one as a standalone jacket and not a suit.

As far as shirt/tie choices to go underneath - keep it very light and summery, I assume? Like lightweight cotton shirt and linen tie?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LOL. Yes, I will agree that no one could say they know the universal number, but my personal recommendation would be that someone who has two blue sportcoats and none brown should go for brown.

I like this idea for the next challenge, and giving people an extra week to really get creative. Stitchy hates it for some reason. Thoughts?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/401439/...e-soporific-tie-challenge/140_20#post_7230673

Ugh. You won fair and square, kind of, so I have no gripes with you picking whatever challenge you wish, but I have no interest in seeing that run for two weeks. No h8.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But you were against the challenge idea before I decided two weeks.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct, I am against it, but I will not fight for you to change it, nor have I said in any of my posts that you should change it, because it is your right to pick whatever you want. But I will fight for it not to run for two weeks.

:)

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things have slowed down a bit, so could I please squeeze in a question?

What do you think of one-button odd jackets/blazers? I’m not talking about dinner coats or evening wear. Here’s an example I like a lot from Huntsman:

Here it is on their website:

http://www.h-huntsman.com/product/view/836

The geometry of the jacket is pretty much like a two-button jacket but with the lower button (and the corresponding button hole, of course) removed. To my eye it’s just a slightly more dressy/formal look, appropriate if that’s what you’re going for. But as some of you may know, I’ve got a soft spot for British style.

So, would you wear a one-button jacket? Do you see other people wearing them in your part of the world?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Things have slowed down a bit, so could I please squeeze in a question?

What do you think of one-button odd jackets/blazers? I’m not talking about dinner coats or evening wear. Here’s an example I like a lot from Huntsman:

Here it is on their website:

http://www.h-huntsman.com/product/view/836

The geometry of the jacket is pretty much like a two-button jacket but with the lower button (and the corresponding button hole, of course) removed. To my eye it’s just a slightly more dressy/formal look, appropriate if that’s what you’re going for. But as some of you may know, I’ve got a soft spot for British style.

So, would you wear a one-button jacket? Do you see other people wearing them in your part of the world?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

Looks good to me. Connoisseurs will know it's Huntsman, or at least expensive British tailoring, but it's a very nice jacket. Having said that, I wouldn't pay 2 grand for an OTR jacket. Plenty of tailors can make a beautiful bespoke one button jacket for that kind of money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads