1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

no, no it is not. maybe for you, but i would not make that a universal statement by a long shot.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I mean, clearly different people have different magic numbers. Which is why you can't say that three isn't the magic number. It may be mrjester's magic number. It certainly isn't mine. Mine is, like, 10.

3. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

@mrjester 1013 and 1017 look pretty interesting to me, if you want something brown, and are good warm weather blends. 7725 if you want something blue. Soft construction and partially and any would be a nice addition.

4. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior Member

I don't even have 3 sport coats, but I would definitely lean towards your number. I can think of 5 Navy(solid, herringbone, patterned one like mrjester, subtle pink windowpane, glenn plaid), 4 brown(herringbone, houndstooth, houndstooth w/ windowpane, glen plaid), Brown Cord SC, and a grey one I can't think of at the mo'.

If I had two navy, I'd definitely get this one next: [​IMG]

What pattern is this called?

Coincidentally, I would also have several suits in all of those Navy patterns. What do y'all think? Too many?

5. Claghorn

6. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

Agreed - I like this particular one as a standalone jacket and not a suit.

As far as shirt/tie choices to go underneath - keep it very light and summery, I assume? Like lightweight cotton shirt and linen tie?

7. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

:foo:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

In case any of you were wondering how the hidden BD looks with a tie. I think I'll make this collar my OneShirt collar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. in stitches

LOL. Yes, I will agree that no one could say they know the universal number, but my personal recommendation would be that someone who has two blue sportcoats and none brown should go for brown.

Ugh. You won fair and square, kind of, so I have no gripes with you picking whatever challenge you wish, but I have no interest in seeing that run for two weeks. No h8.

10. Claghorn

But you were against the challenge idea before I decided two weeks.

11. in stitches

Correct, I am against it, but I will not fight for you to change it, nor have I said in any of my posts that you should change it, because it is your right to pick whatever you want. But I will fight for it not to run for two weeks.

:)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

12. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

I prefer 7728. The windowpane is bold and you can wear it with a lot of cotton/linen pants if that is what you are going for.

13. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

Things have slowed down a bit, so could I please squeeze in a question?

What do you think of one-button odd jackets/blazers? I’m not talking about dinner coats or evening wear. Here’s an example I like a lot from Huntsman:

[​IMG]

Here it is on their website:

http://www.h-huntsman.com/product/view/836

The geometry of the jacket is pretty much like a two-button jacket but with the lower button (and the corresponding button hole, of course) removed. To my eye it’s just a slightly more dressy/formal look, appropriate if that’s what you’re going for. But as some of you may know, I’ve got a soft spot for British style.

So, would you wear a one-button jacket? Do you see other people wearing them in your part of the world?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Looks good to me. Connoisseurs will know it's Huntsman, or at least expensive British tailoring, but it's a very nice jacket. Having said that, I wouldn't pay 2 grand for an OTR jacket. Plenty of tailors can make a beautiful bespoke one button jacket for that kind of money.