1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

Shirt seems rather tight in the chest area. Can you move around in it freely?
    Pants seem to be too tight as well...

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

This.

3. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior Member

These are the same size and cut as some of my better fitting chinos. I agree these ones don't look great. Hopefully my Noodle's weight loss challenge will correct it a bit.

Didn't notice at all until you said something. I have no trouble moving in it at all. I feel like it fits very well. I'm not getting any pulling at the buttons, but I do see what you guys are saying with the wrinkling near the chest/armpits. What adjustment would you recommend I ask Luxire to make on the next shirt? + 0.5" in the chest?

Last edited: May 31, 2014

4. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

What size and cut/make are those?

Doesn't look like they have enough material in the front or back. Are you sure you haven't pulled a noodles and are trying to shoehorn yourself into too small a size?

5. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

Luv2breformed, the problem is more of luxire not accounting for your sloping shoulders. It's a common problem with their shirts, you will notice that the wrinkles dissappear if you shrug your shoulders up. Try it. Of course you should add a touch to the chest, around 0.25 inches, but the wrinkles near your armpit won't dissappear unless they address the slope.

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Yeah, .5 or 1" to the chest. My Luxire oxfords have shrunken quite a bit, so take that into account as well.

7. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

But ask them to add it to the front panels only, as you seem to have plenty of room in the back.

8. Robstrongo

Robstrongo Senior Member

I would be interested in the light grey flannel and possibly the brown pair depending on the thigh measurements. I ordered the light grey flannel and unfortunately had to return them because the thigh measurement was nowhere near what Ed had listed on the sizing chart on the site.

9. luv2breformed

These are brooks brothers Milano size 33 advantage chino. I got torn a new one here when I posted size 32 previously. I just posted a fit yesterday in the mc casual thread wearing Milano size 33 chino and everyone said they fit great. The difference my be between their standard and their "advantage chino". Regardless, they are too low rise for my preference anyway, and I won't be purchasing more of them.

10. AJL

AJL Distinguished Member

I can check in a while, and post up some pics as well, though perhaps it's better to do this via pm, so it doesn't become a b&s ext? Just a thought (have received several pms already). Perhaps I can post up pics here and interested parties can contact me via pm?

11. luv2breformed

Thanks for the great stuff, guys. Shrugging the shoulders indeed made the wrinkles disappear entirely. Should I ask for any additional fabric rather than .5 in the chest in order to account for shrinkage?

12. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

A good shirt company should adjust for shrinkage if you tell them your target measurement. Will depend on the fabric.

Also before adding or subtracting now is probably a good time to take body measurements too and see what the allowances are. For example it's standard I think to allow for four inches at waist for even RTW slim in many cases. Three inches would be pushing it leading to gaping when you sit. You want to know where you're at now, shirt measurement relative to body measurement.

That said, a striking amount of folding in the back. It looks darted but might still slim it, taking from back panel. But note your waist measurement.

And always do adjustments in small increments. Go a few shirts at a time. Don't assume a single adjustment will clearly be perfect. MTM is a process and sometimes alng one. Big orders only at the end. My 2cents.

13. Evolve

Evolve Senior Member

Hey Noodle folks, luv2b's pics have prompted me to finally take the plunge and try a Kamakura BD collar shirt, even though their sizing is less than ideal. I'm not sure what fabric to go with. I want this shirt to be as versatile as possible, i.e. able to wear it alone with chinos or dressed up with a worsted suit and tie. I normally prefer a spread collar with a suit, but I think Kamakura's BD collars look great with suits (especially in Henry Carter's fits).

I'm going with a solid blue, but what weave? Regular oxford, pinpoint, royal oxford, or dobby? My thoughts are that regular oxford would be just a bit too casual to go wear with a worsted suit, but preferable when wearing the shirt with no jacket. Royal oxford or pinpoint would be better when wearing with a suit, but less than optimal when wearing alone with chinos. And I'm not entirely sure what dobby is. Anyone care to educate me?

^ Just kinda thinking out loud hear. Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. If I can find a fit/size that works for me, I'll eventually get several Kamakuras, but for now, I'm looking for something of a OneShirt. :foo:

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

this is something i rarely say, but that must be killed with fire. there is nothing good that could come of that monstrosity.
    that is amazing.
    indeed i am. though right now i am focusing my efforts on spam more than anything else.

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Some people say you've been focusing on it for a while now. Zing!

Just kidding. Thanks for the spaminating, Stitchy.