• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Abundant Hoodies?

shamshel

Reaction score
Hi everyone – I’ve been lurking here and the other SF for a couple of months now, and figured now is as good as any a time to start posting.

What I do have is a question, what are some good ideas for high quality hoodies/crewnecks that are available? I have no problem paying up to 100 bucks, but would be more than willing to go higher for something superb. I know most people here say W+H or Loopwheeler, but both of these brands are extremely rare and hard to get, what would be the best thing to get that could be found reasonably easily?

edit: What I am personally looking for is a more subdued/versatile sweater, but its also interesting to hear peoples opinions on the more flamboyant styles as well

second edit: more specific information for my case: I live in seattle, and am in Minneapolis every once in awhile

ardeetee

Reaction score
i just picked up 2 hoodies from Uniqlo for a very reasonable $40/ea. Nice and basic and seem to be very well constructed and heavy enough for southern california weather.

I am still looking for a nice hoodie that zips up to the chin that isn't $200 though.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Why don't you spend the extra money, get exactly what you want and not worry about buying another hoodie? Just a thought. I spent 300 something and don't regret it b/c it was the best I've seen.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
W+H/Spruce is worth the cost, though I can understand not wanting to pay that much anyway. They're well made, but $150 is uneqivocably expensive for a hoodie.

Towards the cheaper side of things, J Crew, Uniqlo, and American Apparel make good hoodies. J Crew's the most expensive at $60, but I really do like them, and they're well made, even if the zippers can be a little annoying at times. Uniqlo's stuff is just generally very well made for the price. Still, while I haven't tried it on, I'd be worried that the fit would be somewhat baggy; a lot of their stuff for the American stores is made pretty relaxed. American Apparel is really lightweight and even rather overpriced at full retail. If you go through someone with a wholesale account, though, they're a damn good buy at ~$20.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up an offwhite Old Navy distressed hoody recently. I was quire impressed with the construction at its price point. It's nothing like Spruce/W+H, but it's a pretty good deal at $25. The fit isn't baggy, but not too slim. There's a metal zipper that works well. The pre-distressed bothered me a bit at first, but it's not too bad. Overall, it's a cheap and warm hoodie to lounge around in. I might even go back to pick up a second one.

smw356

Reaction score
american apparel hoodies are ****. I got 2 of them about 2 months ago that have seen light wear and both are on thier last legs.

Kane

Reaction score
Your profile says you're in Seattle.

Make the 2h drive up here. You know we have a sample sale on, right? Obscene prices that are making people on here and on SF weep, gnash their teeth, pull their hair out and spring woodies. All at once. Good stuff.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kane
Your profile says you're in Seattle.

Make the 2h drive up here. You know we have a sample sale on, right? Obscene prices that are making people on here and on SF weep, gnash their teeth, pull their hair out and spring woodies. All at once. Good stuff.

how good is that sample sale?

Kane

Reaction score
Sounds like we've had quite a few satisfied forum members from both SFs. Stock is constantly being replenished, and there are plenty of bargains to be had -- great deals, unique pieces, deadstock, prototypes, etc.

shamshel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
Why don't you spend the extra money, get exactly what you want and not worry about buying another hoodie? Just a thought. I spent 300 something and don't regret it b/c it was the best I've seen.
my problem isnt the cost, im alright with the idea of spending money on a hoodie, my problem is actually finding one edit: I should have been more specific - $150 dosent seem to terribly outrageous for a hoodie, but im not quite at the 300+ level yet --Thanks for reminding me about the sample sale, but I dont have a car here, so it might be some work, but I'll look into it.

KingKongLives

Reaction score
cosign on what darknworn said about the old navy distressed hoodies...

sizing down is a good option

otherwise, since you're willing to pay. why don't you check out the different on-line shop affiliates linked up top.

or how about the engineered garments heathered hoodie. that item looked pretty sweet. i don't see it on stevenalan anymore though.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingKongLives
cosign on what darknworn said about the old navy distressed hoodies...

sizing down is a good option

otherwise, since you're willing to pay. why don't you check out the different on-line shop affiliates linked up top.

or how about the engineered garments heathered hoodie. that item looked pretty sweet. i don't see it on stevenalan anymore though.

The Engineered Garments hoodie is actually on sale for $138 on www.hejfina.com. fwiw. Really nice hoodie - construction and details are both terrific. And it is warm, if that is a criterion. Warmest hoodie I own.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I picked up an offwhite Old Navy distressed hoody recently. I was quire impressed with the construction at its price point. It's nothing like Spruce/W+H, but it's a pretty good deal at $25. The fit isn't baggy, but not too slim. There's a metal zipper that works well. The pre-distressed bothered me a bit at first, but it's not too bad. Overall, it's a cheap and warm hoodie to lounge around in. I might even go back to pick up a second one.
I'm looking at the website now and am actually surprised with the hoodies. This one looks kind of cool: http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/produc...scid=419506022 The distressed ones also seem to be on sale for $20.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads