• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going Sailing in Newport during Oct - What to Wear?

Pylon

Reaction score
So next weekend, I'm going sailing in Newport, RI. I figure it's going to be fairly cool out there. Any suggestions for a new stylin' windbreaker or something else to wear when going out for the day? Is denim going to work? Is the white denim just a stereotype, or will it look snazzy if I snag a pair? Does the white after labor day rule apply to white denim on a sailboat? I've never been out sailing before, so thoughts about what to bring and wear will be appreciated. Might as well look good while out there.
smile.gif
Of course, any other suggestions for "must see" things or "must visit" stores in Newport are also welcome. I've never been.
sailingtr8.gif

chiral

Reaction score
It's going to be cold on the water, as Constant Struggle said. Now, are we talking sailing as in sit in the stern drinking while your host does all the work on a moderately sized boat or sailing as in a smaller craft where you might actually do work. Sometimes lines can get greasy depending on the rigging, so you might not want to wear anything *too* nice, if theres a chance of you having to work.

I'd wear a windbreaker over a sweater, and some denim. Can always take off the windbreaker if you get too warm.

chiral

Reaction score
But keep in mind I've never been 'sailing' as an event, I've only ever worked on boats or gone on my friends as a casual affair. Your situation might be a bit more... formal if thats the right word.

Pylon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiral
But keep in mind I've never been 'sailing' as an event, I've only ever worked on boats or gone on my friends as a casual affair. Your situation might be a bit more... formal if thats the right word.

Thanks for the tips - I should have clarified. It's an outing with friends to get some hands-on, rudimentary lessons in sailing for the day; not as guests or passengers. I fully expect and hope to be working.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads