• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Going Sailing in Newport during Oct - What to Wear?

Pylon

Reaction score
So next weekend, I'm going sailing in Newport, RI. I figure it's going to be fairly cool out there. Any suggestions for a new stylin' windbreaker or something else to wear when going out for the day? Is denim going to work? Is the white denim just a stereotype, or will it look snazzy if I snag a pair? Does the white after labor day rule apply to white denim on a sailboat? I've never been out sailing before, so thoughts about what to bring and wear will be appreciated. Might as well look good while out there.
Of course, any other suggestions for "must see" things or "must visit" stores in Newport are also welcome. I've never been.

chiral

Reaction score
It's going to be cold on the water, as Constant Struggle said. Now, are we talking sailing as in sit in the stern drinking while your host does all the work on a moderately sized boat or sailing as in a smaller craft where you might actually do work. Sometimes lines can get greasy depending on the rigging, so you might not want to wear anything *too* nice, if theres a chance of you having to work.

I'd wear a windbreaker over a sweater, and some denim. Can always take off the windbreaker if you get too warm.

chiral

Reaction score
But keep in mind I've never been 'sailing' as an event, I've only ever worked on boats or gone on my friends as a casual affair. Your situation might be a bit more... formal if thats the right word.

Pylon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiral
But keep in mind I've never been 'sailing' as an event, I've only ever worked on boats or gone on my friends as a casual affair. Your situation might be a bit more... formal if thats the right word.

Thanks for the tips - I should have clarified. It's an outing with friends to get some hands-on, rudimentary lessons in sailing for the day; not as guests or passengers. I fully expect and hope to be working.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 140 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40