• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting beach-fit in 2 weeks??

Gatsby

Reaction score
I'll be heading to Thailand in two weeks and plan to do a lot of diving and hanging out on the beach. However, the winter has not been kind on me and I've gained 3 or 4 pounds. I'm a skinny guy overall, but I've built up a gut.

I'm pretty determined to eat right/exercise/whatever it takes to get in half decent shape for the beach. Any tips? (Preferably not Atkins)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't already know what works for you, you're unlikely to find it in the next 2 weeks. Atkins would be as good a guess as anything, especially since the initial "induction phase" only lasts a couple weeks and tends to have pretty dramatic results. 3-4 extra pounds shouldn't constitute a gut, so it sounds like your body composition changed a lot over the winter.

I would suggest not worrying about it, though. In either case, enjoy your vacation.

dan

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
You can use the brutal - and I do mean BRUTAL - diet I put myself through to get ready for spring break in college. As a 210 lb man I consumed only 1,300 calories for 3 weeks but took in 200 grams of protein (primarily through protein shakes) and minimized carbohydrate intake. I also used a ECA fatburner back then but you may want to try Biotest's Hot-Rox formulation as ephedrine is now banned.

3 weeks later I had a six-pack and everything (though I was in pretty good shape to begin with).

Panzer

Walter

Reaction score
You guys are crazy. A man needs to be elegant, not 100% fit. It is for the ladies to be hot, not us.

benchan

Reaction score
Mostly beach and diving....and not spend any time on Poseidon complex instead
tounge.gif
Back to the topic, if you want to lose wieght, I suggest your try this-High intensity interval training. Sprint all out for 20 secs(on an incline is better) rest for 30 secs then repeat again until failure. Beginners usually can only do 10 repetitions. Try aim for at least 15 reps and progess from there. You can do similar training on a stationary bike as well, and remember to do some warm up and cool down.

joseanes

Reaction score
You guys are crazy. A man needs to be elegant, not 100% fit. It is for the ladies to be hot, not us.
Being fit helps have the stamina to enjoy the hot ladies
smile.gif
Anyway, I do agree that if you are not fit now, 2 weeks may not do a lot of good. But now is as good as any other time to start geting back into shape. For me... I just do as much cardio as I can possibly can (45m to an hour in the highest setting I can do) for as many days as possible (4 or 5 in a week), and then go and do 4 sets of each (abs, bench press, and shoulders). That ussually reduces fast my fat accumulation in the points where it affects me most. I do notice changes from week to week, even after having neglected myself for a couple of months with a lot of business travel. After I am normal again, I just go back to 3 days and a bit more relaxed. Eating right also helps. I do not follow any diets. But a lunch and/or dinner of lean meat and steammed vegetables, and a breakfast of oatmeal and tea helps me get thinner. (for whatever reason).

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
You've got two weeks to lose 3 or 4 pounds? When I wrestled, I had two hours to lose 3 or 4 pounds. Try finding healthy advice for that.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
(Panzeraxe @ April 14 2005,13:03) You can use the brutal - and I do mean BRUTAL - diet I put myself through to get ready for spring break in college. As a 210 lb man I consumed only 1,300 calories for 3 weeks but took in 200 grams of protein (primarily through protein shakes) and minimized carbohydrate intake. I also used a ECA fatburner back then but you may want to try Biotest's Hot-Rox formulation as ephedrine is now banned. 3 weeks later I had a six-pack and everything (though I was in pretty good shape to begin with). Panzer
Yikes. Well, from what I've heard it's only healthy for an adult man to lose from 2-3 lbs a week. Â If you only need to lose 5 lbs or so this shouldn't be too hard. Â I dunno If I would go as exteme as Panzer, but some variation of a cut back on caloric intake and a really high cardio regimen every day for two weeks ought to cut off at least a couple lbs. Thing is- You'll get there and gain it all back anyways, so I wouldn't invest too much time or energy in anything too drastic.
I should point out that my 'diet' was purely for cosmetics reasons - it is not a long-term healthly diet. At the beginning of the diet I weighed 210 lbs at 13% bodyfat - 3 weeks later I was 192 lbs at 6% bodyfat.. Panzer

PHV

Reaction score
Did you experience weight gain afterwards? 1300 calories is pretty harsh. If it would be possible to maintain, then it would be good.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Nope - naturally you gain a lot of it afterwards - though not all. This diet is primarily as a quick cosmetic fix for a special event. 4-6 weeks after spring break I was about 205 lbs at 10% bodyfat or so.

Panzer

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Five pounds can easily be lost by lopping off your non-domiant hand about mid-way up the forearm in most normal males. If you desire more weight to be lost, just cut further up the arm.

Make sure you tourniquet and then cauterize the stump, otherwise the rapid weightloss that follows will most likely be blood weight.

If you need tools... I'd check E-bay.

I am not serious by the way. Please don't amputate your hand or arm. It would be a very bad idea.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got two weeks to lose 3 or 4 pounds? When I wrestled, I had two hours to lose 3 or 4 pounds. Try finding healthy advice for that.
I hear you. I've come to the conclusion that it's a more or less uncivillized sport, especially the way that it eclipses all other aspects of your life. Not surprisingly, I'm less than crestfallen at the fact that my academic load more or less precludes me from doing it next year. I will miss the shape I was in, though. Until I start cross country in the spring, I'm in a situation similar to yours, Gatsby. Overall excellent shape, but a small, irritating gut.

Lysaer

Reaction score
I hear that. You can try the lifestyle I am currently enjoying. I don't call it a diet because it is just how I eat now, just as vegetarianism isn't considered a diet, but a lifestyle. Stop drinking all forms of soda. Soda is just carbonated acidic water. It's bad for your teeth and dehydrates you, absolutely pointless. The only decent thing is the caffeine, and Sprite doesn't even have caffeine. What a waste. SO: drink only water (which combined with electrolytes(aka salt), gives you more natural energy, plus the best way to hydrate which keeps you healthy). Alcohol is okay, but try to drink more liquor than beer, as beer is essentially liquid moldy bread aka carbs. You wonder why girls drink vodka all the time (besides that it's almost entirely flavorless) Don't eat fast food, ever. It's always got something bad in it, and unless you're starving, don't do it. After seeing "Super Size Me" I haven't touched the stuff in over a year, even when I'm starving. It's a matter of principal. See the movie, and you won't ever eat it again, either. SO: Eat lots of yogurt. Yogurt and salads. That's what I've been doing, and in 6-8 weeks I've lost 20 pounds. I also work out, so I've lost much body fat. Lift weights, but not for mass gain. When lowering, lower as slowly as possible. This causes your muscles to strain much more, which burns many more calories. I guarantee positive results. Desserts like ice cream and cookies are okay in MODERATION. Don't make it a daily habit. Oh, and don't eat candy. Basically, cut out most glucose and you'll lose weight faster than a well-fed Ethiopian. (kidding, kidding...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads