• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips on cutting fat but maintaining muscle

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Since MFP has been mentioned here, I stumbled upon the app MacroFactor which seems to be less of a nutrition log but more of an app that provides better insights, some AI-generated recommendations, etc. Just started using it yesterday, so cannot say much more about it.
I actually just started using this app, as well. It's only been a few days, but I think they're right when they say their food logging is the fastest. MFP's big draw is how easy it is to log food because of the app design and the enormous food database. I'm surprised that MacroFactor seems to have beat them. I'm excited to see how this works for me, as I think I'm experiencing some metabolic adaptation. MFP seems to give me way too many calories now.

Robboto

Reaction score
Yo yo yo

I've been working out since March doing 3x resistance training (push, pull, legs) and 2x boxing training per week. I eat pretty healthy but I do love my food - so I'd say my portion sizes are large. Here is my progress:

Start: 6'2" 18st 3lbs (255lbs) 34% body fat
Currently: 18st 5lbs (257lbs) 28% body fat

As you can see I'm actually getting heavier(!) although my body fat percentage is falling (I assuming some of the extra weight is muscle). Anyway I just feel that 257lbs is just too heavy for my height, so I'm planning to do a 30-60 day cut. Any tips for losing fat but maintaining the muscle that I have built?
Planning to keep resistance training and maybe adding some cardio activity(probably running, there are a nice running store so I can pick up at least some decent gear there).
Thanks!!
I'm a tad bit late to the party, but maybe my 2 cents are going to be useful for other people reading this thread.

Diet: 20% deficit below maintanence with ~0,6-0,8g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Use satiating foods and drink plenty of water.
Excercise: if your main goal is saving as much muscle as you can - go with a good strength programm, preferably decent weight+lower volume(cut might be a bit slower, but you'll maintain more muscle). If your main goal is just losing weight no matter what - go with cardio mainly and some resistance training.
Sleep: the most crucial part. Since you're going to be in deficit - your body going to have harder time recovering as fast, hence why you should really aim for at least(!) 8 hours every day. Can't stress enough for important this part is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads