• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Luddite

Reaction score
The current stable:

856902_10151548785367474_43856372_n.jpg

856521_10151548787122474_1403209391_n.jpg

488037_10151548787292474_561183016_n.jpg

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dron

Reaction score
^^ + ^^^
on one pompetamine.
8,602g fixed gear disc cross bike. currently with cobble cross tyres.
aa-and it's done! :

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ + ^^^
on one pompetamine.
8,602g fixed gear disc cross bike. currently with cobble cross tyres.
aa-and it's done! :

Sweet

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a urban / commuting / hybrid bike?

I'll mostly take it the 10 miles to / from work with a few 20 - 30mi rides on the weekends.

I think flat handle bars are the way to go (at least at this point) as I'm very afraid of hitting something and riding racing style hurts my neck.

A friend at work almost has me convinced that hydrolic / disc brakes are the way to go in a place where it often rains - but are they worth it?

Budget is around 500 GBP / 750 USD.

Please assume a fairly n00bish level of knowledge...

Thanks.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should have mentioned - one specific rec I got that looks pretty good is the Whyte Portabello.

If anyone happens to have any thoughts on that one.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'll mostly take it the 10 miles to / from work with a few 20 - 30mi rides on the weekends.

I think flat handle bars are the way to go (at least at this point) as I'm very afraid of hitting something and riding racing style hurts my neck.

A friend at work almost has me convinced that hydrolic / disc brakes are the way to go in a place where it often rains - but are they worth it?

Thanks.

No specific recomendations from me, but I question your insistence on flat bars.

A bike with road bars and a more upright seating position, won't be any less comfortable than flat bars. Most people spend 90% of the time riding on the hoods which is actually much more natural and comfortable than twisting your hands to grab some flat bars. More hand positions are a better option than limiting yourself to just one.

No need for hydraulic/disc brakes, although nothing wrong with disc (hydraulic is bad if you don't want to deal with brake fluid on a bicycle). A decent set of regular cable pull rim-brakes should have more than enough stopping power when set up right. If they are frequently wet, you can get a little more wet-stopping power if you switch to the salmon colored pads (although I hear they have started making the same compound available in black if you are about that sort of thing).

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

look for the most inexpensive cyclocross bike with disc brakes. the thing with flat bars is that they are often wider compared to road "drops" handlebars. So you'll actually be able to slip in and out of city traffic easier riding with narrower road drops compared to the wider hybrid/MTB flat bars. Riding on the brake hoods and flats is equivalent to riding with flat bars on a hybrid/MTB.

10miles through london actually sounds like a pretty long tough stressful commute. commuting 10miles through NYC (from brooklyn to the upper west side for me takes about 1hr 10min one way). if the commute is flat you might even consider a inexpensive single speed bike to simplify things (less things to break, less chance of it getting stolen) ect. you also have to consider getting a good lock (which can cost over $100 and you still need a accessory cable to lock up the front wheel/seat/ect).

disc brakes are great, but V-brakes can be just as powerful and cheaper/simpler/lighter.

here's my Redline Metro Classic. and in full commuter mode. . It runs about $1000 stock and they have a version called the metro sport that you can find for under $800 (with lesser specs but still the same set up disc braked cyclocrossed commuter).

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No specific recomendations from me, but I question your insistence on flat bars.

A bike with road bars and a more upright seating position, won't be any less comfortable than flat bars. Most people spend 90% of the time riding on the hoods which is actually much more natural and comfortable than twisting your hands to grab some flat bars. More hand positions are a better option than limiting yourself to just one.

That's interesting.

My last (very cheap) bike had drop bars and I was either my neck was sore or I was living in fear that without my fingers right by the brakes I wouldn't reach them in time if I ever needed - and people will just dart out into the street...

[n00b]
When you say a more upright seating position - is that something you can change on nearly any bike or would you look specifically for a bike with that sort of position?
[/n00b]

THanks again

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads