• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did @flipstah say where he got the frame from?

I mean...he said it was cheeeeep.

I'm not a "no used carbon" purist or anything, but even if it weren't a bike held together with glue, I'd stay very very far away from any kind of carbon that looks like that...

edit: I guess all carbon bikes are technically held together with glue...but there's a big difference between the resin flowing with the fibers as part of a layup and the bonding of metal to carbon in tension at high-load points like the BB shell.

Also, my Epic was a fine bike...but it wasn't particularly light or particularly stiff...and the ride wasn't carbon smooth either because the fork was aluminum...basically the only thing it had going for it was the fact that you could say "ooh, carbon". Otherwise newer steel, or aluminum with a carbon fork beat it hands down.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean...he said it was cheeeeep.

I'm not a "no used carbon" purist or anything, but even if it weren't a bike held together with glue, I'd stay very very far away from any kind of carbon that looks like that...

edit: I guess all carbon bikes are technically held together with glue...but there's a big difference between the resin flowing with the fibers as part of a layup and the bonding of metal to carbon in tension at high-load points like the BB shell.

If I knew the history of the bike, I’d consider using it as a townie, but that’s me. If I didn’t know the history, I’d hang it on the wall as art.

I’m certain that I have a few friends who raced on those back in the day.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m getting it inspected by my LBS and see. There’s also repair shops near me: one focuses on carbon hockey sticks! Found out that was a thing today.

Found more info on it today: previous owner got it and was gonna paint it but don’t have time for another project since he’s MTB now and this might be the frame. The sanding spots make sense because the middle parts of the tube has clearcoat still

I also checked the integrity of the frame by listening for dull spots and everything sounded great. If my LBS likes it then I’m building a 1998 spec restoration but maybe change the yellow to blue

8DC23910-A768-4456-A26C-E590E48F7B03.png

55BC38E5-4E4F-4085-A4A2-15BFDAB2950F.jpeg

Last edited:

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can see some leftover yellow. you might be onto a winner @flipstah for a good fixie.
I was going to suggest wet sanding the whole thing, so when you paint and clear coat it the carbon will shine again.
Anyway, nice find.

will wet sanding 2400 grit remove the runoff too?

I was thinking of turning it into a town fixed and keep it simple then I saw the catalogue:

Also I don’t think it can be fixed because of the dropout.

Next: how can I tell if the BB thread is English or Italian?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
will wet sanding 2400 grit remove the runoff too?

I was thinking of turning it into a town fixed and keep it simple then I saw the catalogue:

Also how can I tell if the BB thread is English or Italian?
You could talk to the hockey stick guy about the caring for the carbon. ****, i'd ask the guy just to be sure.
otherwise it would get hit with the 800 grit then 1,200.(lightly) and a thick clear coat. it's UV that makes it look weird. Mrs V's Giant has a bit of it from sitting outdoors before we bought it. so i'm using your experience to also learn something. but it's too mint to F with.
What you got is potentially a real tasty score right there. But it's prudent to ask around.

Lol "Subaru cashmere yellow" and carbon would look sweet. you can sell/trade it to me if you pass on it. ;)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
1997 was a very good year. I was younger, stronger, and had a full head of hair.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
On the flip side I had a negative net worth in 1997.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics