• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I'm city river trails, or mountain walking path. This is actually looking alright. Don't whip hard like i used to.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm city river trails, or mountain walking path. This is actually looking alright. Don't whip hard like i used to.
That doesn't do anything to protect you from catastrophic failure due to manufacturing defect. Obviously you can do what you want, but I would hope that you would value your safety a bit more than a few bucks.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
My bikes are always stronger than i will push them.
This question is more about the mix of brands/non brands. and my fear of part failure. I would easily spring for "Answer alumite" if i could get it.
I'm just filtering options.

I want a 2 inch riser bar. that won't fail.
And to make the front end lighter.

What do you recommend?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My bikes are always stronger than i will push them.
This question is more about the mix of brands/non brands. and my fear of part failure. I would easily spring for "Answer alumite" if i could get it.
I'm just filtering options.

I want a 2 inch riser bar. that won't fail.
And to make the front end lighter.

What do you recommend?
I recommended not buying unbranded carbon bars. :)

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I just can't get the bars I want. I might as well go with known brand Alloy bars.
You know the bars i'm talking about. Answer Alumite.
Bars will be the icing on the cake. The bike is almost done.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@sugarbutch I took your advice. and went with something i can trust.
GT Handlebars.jpg
These will be perfect! And yet another homage to BMX in the build. Love it.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bummed/irritated that my headlight seems to be in a mode which burns through battery when it's turned off. It will give me the usual battery life after charging, but if it sits, it will be dead the next time I go to use it. Like this afternoon when I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be home before sunset. I've reset the gotdam thing, but no joy.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How many cycles on the battery? Is it maybe just not holding a charge anymore?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No idea of how many cycles on the battery, but its taillight mate has as many, perhaps more. I have not observed any diminution of runtime, just holding charge while off for a few days. They can be controlled wirelessly by a Garmin head unit, and my suspicion is that the headlight is stuck in some mode where it's continuously polling to make a connection. I don't have a Garmin, though, so I cannot confirm.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sure to be met with derision...want quality metal valve cap in a nice shade of blue.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went with Super Record 2015 for shifters and derailleur, 2018 for brakes and 2014 52/39 SR ti for cranks. I much prefer the 2014 5-bolts to the 2015s and much, much prefer those to the new ones. 12-25 SR cassette. Probably going with a record chain.

Placing an order with my LBS for new wheels soonish. White Industries hubs in red, laced to Velocity A23s, black with machined brake surface. 28 h front/rear. Or at least this is the plan for now. Would like carbon rims, but just cant justify the price. Velocity rims seem like the best choice for custom wheels these days.

Thomson seatpost, stem and carbon bars. All black.

CK red headset.

Still debating saddles and pedals. Also debating shoes. Not sure on skewers either. Possobly Paul for some bling. Possibly dig something out of a bin at home.

Should turn out a pretty timeless fast bike.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Placing an order with my LBS for new wheels soonish. White Industries hubs in red, laced to Velocity A23s, black with machined brake surface. 28 h front/rear. Or at least this is the plan for now. Would like carbon rims, but just cant justify the price. Velocity rims seem like the best choice for custom wheels these days.
I had orange a23s on my bike when it got stolen and they looked great... But when I rebuilt the frame, I went with h+son archetypes.

The a23 rim is reported to be a lot softer than the archetype and I'd heard complaints about QC (not coming very round from the factory, needing frequent trueing, etc.). I didn't own mine long enough to confirm, but with orange not being available and the archetype otherwise being a better looking but otherwise similar rim, it seemed like an easy choice.

Same width as the a23, welded, little taller/more aero, couple grams heavier, machined sidewall. I have the dark gray, but the black is pretty good looking too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads