• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GB Pound at a 9-month low to USD...

Bartolo

Reaction score
So what are some "buying opportunities" for online, sight-unseen purchases.

Shoes are tough for me as I have no experience with the fit of these brands. (That said, I should try to get some experience so that if the pound sinks lower I'd know what to order. Any ideas for such here in the Boston area?)

Drake's . . . . what else? Maybe a good deal on a Barbour coat?

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, dropping below $1.50 is a big deal. There is not much likely to turn things around, though I'd be shocked if it got anywhere close to 1:1. At $1.25 I start calling Northampton outlets. At 1:1 I start calling EG MTO.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if anyone here can predict which way the currencies are going, you shouldn't be stooping for lowly C&J!

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Yeah, dropping below $1.50 is a big deal. There is not much likely to turn things around, though I'd be shocked if it got anywhere close to 1:1. At $1.25 I start calling Northampton outlets. At 1:1 I start calling EG MTO.

It dropped down there briefly last summer and hung arounf $1.55 for a while. My down payment on my Cleverley's bespoke landed on a day at $1.51... I recall it very briefly hit $1.49 whilst at Liberty.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
At $1.50 I start pre-paying my tailors.
I do similarly.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the approximate pricing at Davies & Sons (more specifically Fallan & Harvey if there is any difference), for say a 9/10 oz worsted? Thanks in advance.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys guys, this seems like a goo dplace to ask.

I've never went the crockett & JKones route and am planning to buy a pair IMMEDIATELY!

for the 348 Last, how's the fit? I'm a textbook US10D, should I just go 9E UK?

What about the 337? pretty close?

PLS HELP as I need to push the button!

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
Guys guys, this seems like a goo dplace to ask.

I've never went the crockett & JKones route and am planning to buy a pair IMMEDIATELY!

for the 348 Last, how's the fit? I'm a textbook US10D, should I just go 9E UK?

What about the 337? pretty close?

PLS HELP as I need to push the button!

This should help...

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ett+jones+last

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Predicted to fall to $1.05.

Greece Now, U.K. Next as Scots Ready for Pound Plunge (Update2) Share Business ExchangeTwitterFacebook| Email | Print | A A A
By Rodney Jefferson
March 1 (Bloomberg) -- While the eyes of the world focus on Greece's debt crisis, investors in Edinburgh are busy preparing for the U.K. to be next.
Turcan Connell, which caters to rich families, expects the pound to lose between 20 percent and 30 percent against the dollar once investors turn their sights on Britain as the government sells a record amount of debt. Sterling slid to a 10- month low versus the U.S. currency today.
"Alarm bells were ringing in Greece for a long time and when it happened, it happened very quickly," Haig Bathgate, head of strategy at Turcan Connell, said at the company's offices in the Scottish capital. "The U.K. is in a similar predicament. It could be hit very hard."
Money managers in Edinburgh, where investment decisions have been made on behalf of insurers, pensioners and the wealthy for two centuries, are maneuvering to protect assets from the U.K. economy as it limps out of its worst recession on record.
Bruce Stout, whose Murray International Trust Plc in Edinburgh has doubled over the past five years, said the chance of a plummeting pound are "better than even" and his biggest holdings are in Asia and Latin America. He called sterling a "very vulnerable currency."
U.K. fund managers at Aegon Asset Management and Scottish Widows Investment Partnership, together responsible for more than 30 billion pounds ($45 billion), said in January they are buying companies that do the bulk of their business abroad.
"˜Very Dire'
"When there's a fiscal crisis, the markets tend to punish that country very quickly," said Bathgate, who is responsible for 560 million pounds. "I don't think Britain is in nearly as bad a position as Greece. We've got a good taxation system, however the position of the economy is very dire."
The U.K.'s budget deficit is roughly the same as Greece's, both exceeding 12 percent of economic output. Moody's Investors Service and Standard & Poor's said last week they may cut Greece's credit rating as the five-month-old government struggles to curb spending and control its debt.
Concern that Greece won't be able to cut its deficit helped send the euro 5.6 percent lower against the dollar this year. The euro today strengthened to a three-month high against the pound, trading above 90 pence.
British Prime Minister Gordon Brown's government in December increased its planned gilt sales for the financial year ending this month to a record 225.1 billion pounds from the 220 billion pounds announced in April. Moody's Investors Service said in December the U.K. may "test the Aaa boundaries."
Hung Parliament
Brown must call an election by June and some polls signal that no party will emerge with a clear majority.
The pound fell below $1.50 today for the first time since May last year, taking this year's decline to 8 percent. A YouGov Plc poll published yesterday showed Brown's Labour Party only two percentage points behind the opposition Conservatives, the narrowest margin for more than two years.
A so-called hung parliament or signs retail sales and economic growth aren't recovering as expected might be the catalysts for the pound to accelerate declines, Bathgate said. The Office for National Statistics last week revised up the rate of economic growth for the fourth quarter to 0.3 percent from a previous estimate of 0.1 percent.
"There could be a number of triggers," he said. "If there's indecision about how you deal with a problem, that's when things start to fall apart. We could be in the position where the spotlight turns to the U.K."
UBS Report
The pound may fall below parity with the euro and drop to the lowest level against the dollar since the mid-1980s should the U.K. cut spending too quickly, Mansoor Mohi-Uddin, chief currency strategist at UBS AG, said in a Feb. 24 report.
Sterling slid to a nine-month nadir against the dollar last week, trading at $1.52. Zurich-based UBS, the world's second- biggest currency trader, predicted it could fall "quickly back" to $1.05 or below.
The pound may come under further pressure with the Bank of England resuming its quantitative-easing program, a process of injecting new money into the economy, within the next three to four months, Bathgate said. Policy maker Adam Posen said Feb. 24 the central bank may expand the 200 billion-pound asset-purchase plan should the economic recovery prove weaker than expected.
"If it comes back then we're likely to be the only people doing that in the world at that time," said Bathgate. "My strong view is the government is trying to create inflation and devalue the currency."
Selling Bonds
Bathgate said he sold conventional U.K. government-bond investments at the end of 2008 and only holds index-linked securities because of concern inflation may accelerate.
The firm also has reduced holdings in corporate bonds because of the potential "knock-on impact" from a decline in government securities.
The yield on the benchmark 10-year gilt dropped 24 basis points to 4.03 percent last week. The yield on Greek 10-year bonds fell 6 points to 6.39 percent. German bunds, the region's benchmark debt, declined 18 points to 3.10 percent.
Turcan Connell, whose clients typically have at least 5 million pounds to invest, was founded in 1998 and oversees about 1 billion pounds in total. Bathgate is responsible for allocating money to different funds, and half is currently in stocks portfolios with 30 percent in hedge funds and other so- called alternative investments.
To contact the reporter on this story: Rodney Jefferson in Edinburgh at [email protected]
Last Updated: March 1, 2010 07:23 EST

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Does anyone know the approximate pricing at Davies & Sons (more specifically Fallan & Harvey if there is any difference), for say a 9/10 oz worsted? Thanks in advance.

A Fallan & Harvey overcoat is two thousand pounds currently. A suit was 10% more than that a year ago but I don't remember if they went up last fall.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads