• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Would like some advice please. In the process of commissioning a couple of GGs. One of the choice is obvious St James II vintage cherry. I am not very sure I wanted the square TG73 so considering the round deco MTO. I searched online extensively but can’t find a round deco SJII vintage cherry. MH71 is an option but when I am going for an MTO, I might as well go for the deco as I thought it will be a little more sharper. Lack of pictures make me think whether people didn’t think it looked good on round deco compared to MH71 (there are quite a few pictures for these) and hence they went with TG73, MH71 or square deco. Any thoughts are really appreciated.

St James II in vintage cherry is the GG iconic shoe, IMO. It's quite an aggressive shoe that I think works best with squared lasts (square deco, TG73 and MH71 in descending order of personal preference). That said, I have seen pictures in round deco - a friend of mine on Instagram has them - and they look good (it's pretty hard to get a GG shoe that doesn't, to be fair!).

You can't really go wrong either way, but if you were going to do one St James II, the square deco version is what I'd choose personally. I think the captoe style looks a bit better with the square. I have both square and round decos, which you can see on my Instagram if it helps.

dbshoelover

Reaction score
I love the St james on the TG73 but that is quite a classic Gaziano and was one of their standard ready to go lines for so long. If doing MTO you’re as well to go for a last that makes them a bit more unique. Square deco would be my choice.
St James II in vintage cherry is the GG iconic shoe, IMO. It's quite an aggressive shoe that I think works best with squared lasts (square deco, TG73 and MH71 in descending order of personal preference). That said, I have seen pictures in round deco - a friend of mine on Instagram has them - and they look good (it's pretty hard to get a GG shoe that doesn't, to be fair!).

You can't really go wrong either way, but if you were going to do one St James II, the square deco version is what I'd choose personally. I think the captoe style looks a bit better with the square. I have both square and round decos, which you can see on my Instagram if it helps.

Grateful for your inputs grc1! Looks like the most popular choice is square then. I have a SJII in vintage pine (MH71) and planned to get the black SJII as well, along with vintage cherry. I would really appreciate if you could share your Instagram ID if you don’t mind so that I can have a look. If possible, it would be great if I can see your friend’s round deco too.I saw a few pictures online but they weren’t in an angle that really shows the beauty of the lasts.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today in GG ;)
95E9BE2E-05FC-4D88-BB52-F48A4FD3DC11.jpeg
7AC602C4-2CE2-429A-B897-AE2E8EC503FF.jpeg
DD010620-0616-4CE5-8315-456BE5641DA7.jpeg
26852F8D-CADD-4885-9DD6-08178198E7B6.jpeg

shoes83

Reaction score
You guys are all looking great all dressed up. I continue to WFH and wear my indoor slippers 95% of the time...

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are all looking great all dressed up. I continue to WFH and wear my indoor slippers 95% of the time...

I'm in PJs 7 days a week. I wore five pocket jeans (non-denim) and Carmina shell cordovan boots to drive to the starbucks 3 mins from home, and that confused my wife. I chose to order using the app and pick up in store instead of using drive thru, just so I could wear decent footwear.

Last edited:

shoes83

Reaction score
This is great!

I bought a few pairs last year. I've worn them around the house a few times each since they're still new (we do no outside shoes inside), especially the more formal ones. My wife thinks it's hilarious to see me in good shoes and sweatpants, haha.

And I have been putting on some of the less formal ones, but I still defer to sneakers on the Starbucks-like runs like the above. I clearly need to step up my game...

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We don‘t wear outside shoes inside either, so my Trickers slippers have seen an awful lot of use over the last year.

I put on decent shoes almost every time I go outside, and I try and take a walk at least once a day, so my shoes see some wear.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Likewise, I have been WFH for 11 months to be exact, most of time I am in my PJ's, but do want to dress up just a bit once in a while. lol

Same here, we don't wear outside shoes indoors and this limits my opportunity to wear shoes while I WFH. I've purchased over a dozen pairs of shoes since March (including couple of GMTOs ordered pre-covid), but I've actually worn only 4 of these for a grand total of less 6 hours. I've tried on new shoes in my office, but only for a couple of mins at a time.

heelguy

Reaction score
Wearing nice shoes/boots is one of the few things to make me happy over the past year. About to order another GG boot but still struggling over whether to get another Arran or Glencoe. Have a Thorpe as well as an EG Cranleigh which is also split toe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads