• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

gmehra

Reaction score
nope. i ordered in Jan 2019, tried in Feb 2019 and they said no. forgot about them. found them. tried again. they said no again ☹.

I'm not desperate to sell, so they may stick around for you ?
I'm sure you will eventually get a buyer. good price for their iconic model

nevaeh

Reaction score
nope. i ordered in Jan 2019, tried in Feb 2019 and they said no. forgot about them. found them. tried again. they said no again ☹.

I'm not desperate to sell, so they may stick around for you ?

For my (selfish) sake, I'll keep my fingers crossed that no one else snags them before I get a chance. ;) But I hope someone snags these soon. Such beautiful shoes. :)

The other reason I am holding off is that I want to get refitted by G&G. I was fit to 8E by G&G a few years ago. Not sure what exactly has led to this, but there is excess leather around the vamp and I have some heel slippage on the TG73 last. The question is whether I need to go down half a size or whether I need to go down a width. But that will happen at an in-person meeting with them. But, alas, no trunk shows or London visits for the foreseeable future.

For now, tongue pads and insoles help--but I would like to have a better idea on fit before I purchase more G&G shoes. As an aside, does anyone know what else, apart from tongue pads and insoles, can be done?

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For now, tongue pads and insoles help--but I would like to have a better idea on fit before I purchase more G&G shoes. As an aside, does anyone know what else, apart from tongue pads and insoles, can be done?

For my slightly oversized pairs (before I finally nailed down my optimal fit), I also use medium thickness socks (SmartWool, Orvis, REI) in addition to tongue pads and orthotics.

nevaeh

Reaction score
For my slightly oversized pairs (before I finally nailed down my optimal fit), I also use medium thickness socks (SmartWool, Orvis, REI) in addition to tongue pads and orthotics.

Thanks, @Easily Amused! What a great idea as a way to add extra volume to my feet. I'll try this out--maybe I'll wear my shoes with a pair of mid thickness socks tomorrow as I work from home!

Last edited:

Jona

Reaction score
For my (selfish) sake, I'll keep my fingers crossed that no one else snags them before I get a chance. ;) But I hope someone snags these soon. Such beautiful shoes. :)

The other reason I am holding off is that I want to get refitted by G&G. I was fit to 8E by G&G a few years ago. Not sure what exactly has led to this, but there is excess leather around the vamp and I have some heel slippage on the TG73 last. The question is whether I need to go down half a size or whether I need to go down a width. But that will happen at an in-person meeting with them. But, alas, no trunk shows or London visits for the foreseeable future.

Same boat. Need remeasuring for any future purchases. I'm holding off further purchases until I meet with Dean. The gap at the top of my heel cup needs to be closed. My shoes look slightly over-sized at the top of the heel cup when they are nominally the correct size. I also have some unresolved heel slippage. These issues persist even after a sequence of orders. I am becoming resigned to the possibility that these issues may not be resolved even after remeasuring. My Decos fit a little better than the standard shoes, but I don't want to go all Deco. I Like G&G quality, so there is the possibility I may skip all of this and go bespoke with them. I also have Anthony Cleverley with perfectly sized heel cups and a more comfortable fit. I have orders for more Anthony Cleverleys which will be my default footwear order pending a possible G&G bespoke.

Last edited:

nevaeh

Reaction score
Same boat. Need remeasuring for any future purchases. I'm holding off further purchases until I meet with Dean. The gap at the top of my heel cup needs to be closed. My shoes look slightly over-sized at the top of the heel cup when they are nominally the correct size. I also have some unresolved heel slippage. These issues persist even after a sequence of orders. I am becoming resigned to the possibility that these issues may not be resolved even after remeasuring. My Decos fit a little better than the standard shoes, but I don't want to go all Deco. I Like G&G quality, so there is the possibility I may skip all of this and go bespoke with them. I also have Anthony Cleverley with perfectly sized heel cups and a more comfortable fit. I have orders for more Anthony Cleverleys which will be my default footwear order pending a possible G&G bespoke.

Out of curiosity, how have the sequence of orderes evolved? Changes in size, width, sockliner adjustments? Agreed, about being resigned to the possibility that this might be the best fit on their RTW lasts. Though, bespoke is a tiny bit out of my price range at the moment. :)

And how does your Anthony Cleverley size compare to your standard G&G size? I was sized to 7.5 for AC, whereas 8E for G&G. Though, I have never tried a 7.5 AC, so can't speak to how proper that size will be.

Jona

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how have the sequence of orderes evolved? Changes in size, width, sockliner adjustments? Agreed, about being resigned to the possibility that this might be the best fit on their RTW lasts. Though, bespoke is a tiny bit out of my price range at the moment. :)

And how does your Anthony Cleverley size compare to your standard G&G size? I was sized to 7.5 for AC, whereas 8E for G&G. Though, I have never tried a 7.5 AC, so can't speak to how proper that size will be.

With each subsequent order, we made mainly width adjustments and other minor tweaks. There was some improvement, but the gap at the top of the heel cup remains; the heel slippage improved with a few tiny tweaks, but was still there.

My Anthony Cleverleys are the same length but the width is slightly wider. My feet were actually measured, separately, for left and right fit, from different perspectives. The shoes are semi-bespoke, so the measurement is more detailed than what G&G does for their MTO. After the first shoe, only a minor adjustment was made for subsequent orders. I can order more Anthony Cleverley shoes and not worry about fit or any more tweaking. They are just more comfortable and better-fitting shoes, shoes you can wear all day and forget you are wearing them - an important indication of a well-fitting shoe. I don't have any anxieties unboxing Anthony Cleverley shoe deliveries. I know they'll fit comfortably. They are about the same price as G&G MTO, with the G&G MTO upcharge.

I am still impressed with G&G quality. You hold up G&G shoes and can see immediately that they are solidly constructed, with good quality control, pretty impressive. As I indicated earlier, I'm staying with G&G, but looking more in the direction of bespoke.

Last edited:

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
St James II in Pearl Grey on MH71 ..

CA297EA8-F039-4BA3-BEB9-B5C990A560D3.jpeg
E100C5BA-B75C-42E3-BD14-099C7C08BFDB.jpeg
B0D030D0-96E0-4CDD-A9B7-E8A449033421.jpeg
1E6B1A08-9DB0-4924-BFA9-BF8917F93C14.jpeg

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like wearing them with muted colors so I keep the shoes from gathering unnecessary attention

Good to know, and noted for future reference. From the few "in the wild" photos out there, to my eye it seems that pearl grey works best with navy-colored trousers/jeans.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Let us know how wearing mid-thick socks works for you.

Hi @Easily Amused and folks. Today, I tried my TG73 shoes with thicker, hiking-type socks and the fit around the instep and vamp is significantly better. The instep formed a perfect V-shape, whereas before the facings closed completely with looseness still present around my instep. Around the vamp, I feel far less excess leather, something confirmed by lower amount creasing forming.

The heel still feels a bit loose, albeit with much less apparent slip. But that might be more psychosomatic than real.

All in all, I’ll continue wearing these will thicker socks till I’m able to consult with G&G again on proper fit and what, if anything, can be done. Thanks, @Easily Amused!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads