• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Okay, how is it done incorrectly? Is it positioned incorrectly?
He was recommended to me by a SA in a high end shoe department in the Yorkville area. I balked at top taps and a Topy, settling for the heel protector since I am very hard on the heels of my shoes.

it's already incorrectly. the rubber tail is holding up well, normally. imo, it's better to replace them from time to time, than doing this cheap crap. it's not only crap, it destroys the balance of your gait. i don't think that it is worth that.

here's an example of a harder rubber tail done correctly.

heel.jpg

that's what i do, full bespoke from Maftei/Vienna:

DSC_0200.jpg

Master Kiss including boulevard toe plates:

DSC_0189.jpg

do you need more help, bro?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, how is it done incorrectly? Is it positioned incorrectly? He was recommended to me by a SA in a high end shoe department in the Yorkville area. I balked at top taps and a Topy, settling for the heel protector since I am very hard on the heels of my shoes.

This is just the least elegant and most temporary way to protect a heel. A recess metal plate is permanent and much less intrusive. As is a recessed plate at the toe.

No permanent harm done with the heel protector you've added but you could certainly do better.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm on a roll, finally figured out how to upload pics.  Here is the Rothchild in Vintage Chestnut on the DG70, photos don't do justice to the color of the shoes.  Taken at Starbucks after I got them back from my shoe guy.

heel tap aside, the shoes do look great. its nice to get pics in here again. enjoy.

Last edited:

Ivon

Reaction score
Before I had them installed, I remember asking about sole/heel protection in the shoe care thread and it ended up as a Topy hate thing. That was presented to me as a solution to my heavy heel wear issue. I should find out more about those toe/heel plates as I'm not overly fond of them and I've never read too much on those metal plates other than people getting them installed on MTOs.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, how is it done incorrectly? Is it positioned incorrectly? He was recommended to me by a SA in a high end shoe department in the Yorkville area. I balked at top taps and a Topy, settling for the heel protector since I am very hard on the heels of my shoes.

Yorkville in NYC? Curious as to which store you were in. Agree with Fritzl and Gdot with aesthetics aside, the biomechanics/balance of footstrike will be thrown off. A cobbler once misunderstood and installed them on some shoes but within that day I took the heel taps off because I did not like the effect. Personally changing the rubber heel is a minor job and and cost is minimal.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Before I had them installed, I remember asking about sole/heel protection in the shoe care thread and it ended up as a Topy hate thing. That was presented to me as a solution to my heavy heel wear issue. I should find out more about those toe/heel plates as I'm not overly fond of them and I've never read too much on those metal plates other than people getting them installed on MTOs.

You can have flushed metal toe (not certain about heels since I have not had them done) taps installed after market via competent cobblers (e.g., VIP Shoes/B. Nelson in Midtown) easily. Regarding "heavy" heel wear, I may be wrong but this might just be normal wear. If you walk in your shoes, you wear out the soles, with the heels being the first to wear out because of the foot strike. I walk a few miles each day and eventually I wear out the soles which I then have resoled. The circle of shoe life. :D

Ivon

Reaction score
Yorkville is the 5th Ave/ Beverly Hills retail area of Toronto. Most of the usual suspects are there, but section seems poor compared to other very large cities. The shoe repair guy was suggested to me by a couple of shoe SAs in the neighborhood. I saw shoes and bags from high end stores for repairs so I took him as competent. I only want to save the heel as much as possible so it wears evenly with the rest of the sole. I detest those buggers, but have been unable to find a better solution so far. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

To paraphrase Dr. McCoy from Star Trek "dammit Jim, I'm a clothes whore, not a cobbler!"

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yorkville is the 5th Ave/ Beverly Hills retail area of Toronto. Most of the usual suspects are there, but section seems poor compared to other very large cities. The shoe repair guy was suggested to me by a couple of shoe SAs in the neighborhood. I saw shoes and bags from high end stores for repairs so I took him as competent. I only want to save the heel as much as possible so it wears evenly with the rest of the sole. I detest those buggers, but have been unable to find a better solution so far. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
To paraphrase Dr. McCoy from Star Trek "dammit Jim, I'm a clothes whore, not a cobbler!"

Others may give their opinions but from my experience, the heel (specifically the dorsolateral section) will wear out faster than the rest of the sole basically due what I mentioned above; it is the way we talk. Unless you have the heel section replaced with metal, the wear is bound to happen. It's like creasing on the vamp, part of the natural process of shoe wear.

Thanks for clarifying Yorkville since there is a section in NYC that is called by the same name.

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

There are actually 2 Stores in Sweden with G&G - one in Stockholm, another in Upsala. I've been in Upsala store.

Okay so Stockholm has one. Since i'm there over christmas that's why i'm asking :) 

We're opening up another one in Stockholm this fall (October) called Skoaktiebolaget. The one in Stockholm you mention (Allde) is a men's boutique but they actually have an impressive range of G&G. But now we're opening up an actual shoe store with G&G, EG and Carmina.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

heel tap aside,
the shoes do look great. its nice to get pics in here again. enjoy.

wow, and you do not even let nick v. touch your shoes, har har.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We're opening up another one in Stockholm this fall (October) called Skoaktiebolaget. The one in Stockholm you mention (Allde) is a men's boutique but they actually have an impressive range of G&G. But now we're opening up an actual shoe store with G&G, EG and Carmina.

This is great, fantastic 3 brands

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will come in and check it out! Thinking about getting my bespoke suit from Allde as I heard it's one of the best in Sweden?

Frank the sheep

Reaction score

Will come in and check it out! Thinking about getting my bespoke suit from Allde as I heard it's one of the best in Sweden?

I don´t know if Allde does bespoke but they have a very good MTM service. The only company that does true bespoke in Sweden (that i know of) is A.W. Bauer & Co and they are the real deal.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
courtesy of tumblr

97c4274a-a7a5-5655.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads