Garden Parties

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Nosu3, Sep 6, 2010.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

in honor of this thread, I will submit sometime in the near future, a planned garden party by a cousin in law, where she will attempt to learn how to spit roast a whole pig, including the slaughter of the animal, the design of the roast, etc.

will try to include edited pics of the slaughter of course.

and will bring a watermelon/avocado "cake" to the party.

2. ama

ama Senior member

LULZ. So behind the times. Khymos was talking about carrageenan in his FIRST edition. lol lol lol lol. Wow dude, get with it.

[​IMG]

Methylcellulose A and B?

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

[​IMG] Methylcellulose A and B?
    [​IMG] Try Xantham gum and Gellan gum, sir. Although these are usually blended with other hydrocolloids like locust bean gum or guar gum to obtain optimal rheology. Now paypal me $50 for my shared knowledge!

4. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

[​IMG]

Methylcellulose A and B?

That's if he was trying to make vegan watermelon hot ice cream with whipped avocado cream.

5. ama

ama Senior member

[​IMG]

Try Xantham gum and Gellan gum, sir. Although these are usually blended with other hydrocolloids like locust bean gum or guar gum to obtain optimal rheology.
    Now paypal me $50 for my shared knowledge!

<----- molecular gastronomy fail [​IMG]

What is Gallan gum? I've heard and eaten (knowingly) the others. I don't know anything about Gellan gum or eaten it knowingly. PP incoming.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

<----- molecular gastronomy fail [​IMG]

What is Gallan gum? I've heard and eaten (knowingly) the others. I don't know anything about Gellan gum or eaten it knowingly. PP incoming.

All your answers are belong to Khymos

7. ama

ama Senior member

All your answers are belong to Khymos
    Cool link, thanks. I love that kind of stuff. I'm going to buy some Gallen gum and play with it. I have had it it turns out. But lets get this threak back on track to DTville. LOL @ watermelon "cake."

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Cool link, thanks. I love that kind of stuff. I'm going to buy some Gallen gum and play with it. I have had it it turns out.

But lets get this threak back on track to DTville. LOL @ watermelon "cake."

Speaking of hydrocolloid use and getting this threak back on track, Matt and I ate at Alinea this weekend and were talking about how so many places do that kind of thing wrong. And how people focus so much on making food pretty/beautiful/picture-worthy that it doesn't taste very good. Then you come to this thread and realize that sometimes food is ugly as sin and probably tastes like shit, and you thank God that you don't have to eat that crap.

9. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Speaking of hydrocolloid use and getting this threak back on track, Matt and I ate at Alinea this weekend and were talking about how so many places do that kind of thing wrong. And how people focus so much on making food pretty/beautiful/picture-worthy that it doesn't taste very good. Then you come to this thread and realize that sometimes food is ugly as sin and probably tastes like shit, and you thank God that you don't have to eat that crap.

That's a very Jack Handey Deep Thought.

Did you guys play footsie?

10. ama

ama Senior member

Grant is going to kick your ass if he ever finds out you mentioned the name of his restaurant in this threak.

11. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Grant is going to kick your ass if he ever finds out you mentioned the name of his restaurant in this threak.

Grant is putting a version of watermelon cake on his menu.

He's also turning it into a drink for his Aviary bar.

12. ama

ama Senior member

Grant is putting a version of watermelon cake on his menu.

He's also turning it into a drink for his Aviary bar.

He will likely substitute pine nuts for pumpkin seeds to make it a little classier.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

He will likely substitute RANCH for pumpkin seeds to make it a little more FINE DINING.

ftfy

14. ama

ama Senior member

ftfy

Please, this is REALLY FINE DINING, he will go with BLEU CHEESE.

15. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I provided a 100% vegan raw garden cake.

Are you a raw vegan too?