• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friend who thinks khaki suit is only for celebs...

jackgibbs

Reaction score
yeah, that's gavin rossdale. he was in a band, once.

the sneakers look like ish, plus they made me look down, which drew me to gwen's feet...wtf's up with gwen's feet? they look like angelina's hands. I hope that's just a weird shadow

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jackgibbs
yeah, that's gavin rossdale. he was in a band, once.

the sneakers look like ish, plus they made me look down, which drew me to gwen's feet...wtf's up with gwen's feet? they look like angelina's hands. I hope that's just a weird shadow

Bush, followed by Bush X.

He sure knows how to get bush.

literasyme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Emailed from a friend:

If I wore that, I would look like a douche. Is it because:
1) I don't have the physique for it
2) I'm not famous
3) both

My reply:
It's not THAT "crazy"
You just need to be in the right setting.
Wearing that to WalMart vs. Wearing that to garden cocktail party
The sneakers and sunglasses are ugly.

What say you?

This:

Originally Posted by tazmaniac
the guy in the picture looks like a douche, too

Because of

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
the sneakers and the mandarin collar.

Now, if your friend is less than slim and tried to squeeze into this sort of slim-fitting suit, then yes, he would likely look foolish. But that wouldn't have anything to do with the colour or the fabric of the suit.

Originally Posted by Reevolving
Actually, doesn't Flusser say to match your complexion? (p.21)
Then, he says that pale complexion / low contrast ....needs brighter/warmer shadings (p.28)
Also, to bracket the face, you want to match your hair (p.30)
Conflicting advice here.

Who cares what Flusser says? Trust your mirror, your instincts, and your iGent "friends"....

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Who cares what Flusser says? Trust your mirror, your instincts, and your iGent "friends"....
Agreed. While I like the Flusser, I have found that this personal color business is, at best, a general rule of thumb. You can only know what works for YOU by looking in the mirror and trusting your eyes. Flusser rules (and various iterations of the same by others) suggest that I shouldn't look good in khaki suits, but I do. They say I ought to look good in a mid-grey, but I don't. Not sure why either is the case, but that's the way it is. Even when the advice is correct and applies to you, its of marginal importance. Let's say, for instance, that we could quantify how good you look in an ensemble. Let's stipulate that a certain combination of suit, tie, and shirt is an "85" on a scale of 0-100. My sense is that if it's particularly complimentary to you, it might run up to a "90." If it's not pitch perfect with your skin tone or what have you, it might drop to an "80" or "75." It's still a good look! Regardless, I am increasingly inclined to agree with a comment posted by Manton in some other thread recently - men shouldn't care about these things that much if at all. There are cultural dictates regarding colors that apply to men that don't apply to women and it's useful to remember that. Just because you're an "autumn" and not the perfect guy to wear navy or charcoal grey doesn't mean you should go to the office in cocoa brown every day.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reality-check on light colored suits: they stand out. That probably is why some people associate them with celebrities, who seem to wear them to get attention. In most places, a man wearing only light- or bright-colored clothing from head to toe is a rarity. Adding an unnecessary tie or pocket square adds to the "Look at me" effect. Perhaps the most toned-down way to wear a light-colored suit is with something like a slate blue dress shirt.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A lot depends on the weather and climate. Here in Texas you can wear light coloured lightweight suits nine months out of the year. I wore a white linen suit to a wedding in Cancun. I wouldn't dream of wearing a white linen suit to anything anywhere in my native cold cloudy wet north east England.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics