• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE NOVEMBER 15th THE DRUGSTORE YEARS

Who deserves a drink at the Drugstore ?

• EFV

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Man-of-Mystery

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Rais

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Mr Knightley

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Thin White Duke

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Clouseau

Votes: 16 42.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Between the early 60s and the early 70s, a wild bunch of young, rich, and beautiful people gathered at the Champs Élysées Drugstore in Paris.

They liked beautiful clothes, gorgeous girls, fast cars, and to party as often as possible.
They were soon called 'La bande du Drugstore'...
They had MtM fitted suits and blazers made by one of their friends… Maurice Renoma. But they also appreciated the best French, English, Italian, and American clothes - and shoes. They were also influenced by Ivy style, soon to be called in France 'Le Kennedy look'.
Late 60s, most of the originals from the 'Drug' had moved on. They left the place to their little brothers nicknamed 'Minets'...

So in this challenge i want you to recreate a 'Drugstore look'. This challenge is CM, but the Drugstore lads, like their English mods cousins, mixed CM with SW & D… So you can add one SW & D item to your CM look - if you want...

Your are free to show your face or not.
As 'La bande du Drugstore' liked to party, you are free to post a picture recreating a party with other people. But you have to be the star, of course.

INSPIRATION

THE ENTRIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery

Not quite as Doisneau, but you get the idea.

dop4s7.jpg

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, kind of like Dutronc?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well the funny thing is that Dutronc made fun of the Drugstore lads in one of his songs, but he sure had the Look.

This is Nino Ferrer, another singer of the time…

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
In order to allow for any problems
related to
the time difference between countries, i won't put the poll up before monday, local time.
So you will have the all week end...

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's Drugstore era, then the photography has to be black-and-white, with a slight Robert Doisneau vibe, only a decade or so on. And it has to be a trifle fuzzy to cover up the fact that the model is an old git in his sixties, not a minet in his teens. Let's face it, if I could have found a Jacques Dutronc wig, I would have worn it.

Anyhow, what we're looking for here is an impression, and this is how I went out this morning, to postgrad open day on campus...

[COLOR=FF00AA]NB. CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO GET A PROPER LOOK. THIS REDUCED VERSION IS TOO DARK.[/COLOR]

Cool shades c/o Boots the Chemist (well, you did say 'Drugstore'!).
Mack from JTG.
B/w BS button-down shirt.
French Navy Blue mohair Ivy-style suit from John Simons, London.
Knowing that les Francais in the 60s dug anything Scottish, I added a woollen scarf in Black Watch tartan, from Lochcarron.

Unseen:
Pocket hanky by Brook Taverner,
Black leather gloves (in my pocket).
Black brogues.
Dark green socks to match the green in the scarf.

You can pretend the mini camera-phone is a Zippo lighter.

It's all about the cool attitude.

Last edited:

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think my pants need to be more flared based on the inspiration pics. I used to have a nice pair of Lanvin pants that would have been nice for this.

Lanvin jacket
Uniqlo x Lemaire shirt
Masaki Matsushima wool pants
Bally shoes
A shitload of vintagey filters

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think my pants need to be more flared based on the inspiration pics. I used to have a nice pair of Lanvin pants that would have been nice for this. Lanvin jacket Uniqlo x Lemaire shirt Masaki Matsushima wool pants Bally shoes A shitload of vintagey filters
Oh ouais, c'est juste ça!

Last edited:

Euklides

Reaction score
Those inspiration photos are marvellous! Hoping to see some more great outfits in this contest.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads