FRIDAY CHALLENGE 29 June 2016 - The "What the hell was I thinking" challenge

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DiplomaticTies, Jun 29, 2016.

Who made their "What the hell was I thinking" item work best in a fit?

Poll closed Jul 11, 2016.
  1. Diplo

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. RoSaCe

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Clags

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. Hirsch

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. Duke

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. Smitty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Prince

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. Acute

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  9. Cox

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

I am sure that we all have clothes and accessories in our closets that we never use. It could be that suit that was a little too "fashion forward", or maybe a vintage coat that simply looks too old fashioned. Or the hideous tie your children gave you for fathers day that you can't throw away, or the knitted cardigan your aunt gave you that really should be burned, but you have to wear the damn thing every time she visits, or the cufflinks with the funny (offensive?) motive that you bought at an airport waiting for a delayed flight. Sometimes it's hard to know exactly why you don't wear a particular garment. Maybe the colour wasn't exactly right, or it's uncomfortable, or it's just "not you".

This week's challenge is to dig that "what the hell was I thinking" garment/accessory out of the closet, and make it work.

Since I don't want to prejudge what kind of garment you will show off, the challenge allows for both formal and casual fits. Just make sure that you land in the CM-part of the spectrum. Don't come here with crocs and shorts.

I can't really post inspiration pictures because then I would have to assume that the wearer did not like what they wore, but I will make sure to post my own contribution early to give you a hint of what I'm thinking about.

It was suggested to me that this challenge should be extended. Apparently it has been done before. The SF is summer slow at the moment and on top of that the Americans in the SF have a big holiday coming up and we Europeans are busy supporting Iceland in the European Championship. Therefore the deadline for entries will be Sunday 10th July at noon (CE time).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. DiplomaticTies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a beige corduroy shirt with a floral motive. Yes, you read that right. Beige. Floral. Corduroy.

Pictures are not entirely new which you can see by the fact that it's clearly not a fit suitable for summer. I bought this shirt myself many years ago in the belief that I was cool. That was a mistake. But I thought I should test and see if it could work with a tie.

3. bienluienapris

bienluienapris Senior member

Don't know if I will have the opportunity to wear this kind of thing this week, but I'll follow it with interest since it's pretty interesting.

Since my passion for cloth was there since I'm young (well, I'm still young but....), I don't own so many things that I don't like to wear.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

quote :
    ..and we Europeans are busy supporting Iceland in the European championship.

You must be kidding ? :D

Time to send them home.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  5. RoSaCe

RoSaCe Senior member

@DiplomaticTies : +1 point for this very unusual shirt, you managed to wear it in a coherent way, which was a pretty hard challenge.... but -1000 points for this stupid scandinavian solidarity. We'll kick these viking's asses so hard they'll directly fall in the Eyjafjallajökull (I didn't mean to be racist, but as french people we're allowed to be arrogant, and as football supporter, to be hateful)

6. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I haven't actually watched a football game since 1994, when it was mandatory for all Swedes to watch. I will watch how this FC turns out though, and maybe even participate.

7. DiplomaticTies

French history of managing to kick out vikings is not really full of successes, is it? But if you don't manage to beat Iceland it would be disaster. Your problem is not quality, rather that there is usually open war between the players in your own team!

But still, I have always been a supporter of french football. Somewhere I have a picture of me (must have been mid 80s) in a signed shirt from this man. My hero when I grew up. Also a time when football shirts still looked good.
    [​IMG]

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

A few years back, Mama Claghorn purchased a Yohji Yamamoto sweater (she's a big fan) as a Christmas present to me. My wife has forbidden me from wearing it, but perhaps this is a good opportunity?

Otherwise, I have my super loud BnT linen jacket to fall back on.

---
    Oh, CM spectrum. @DiplomaticTies, ruling on a pure CMer wearing a hardcore SW&D item he has no business owning?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Please to wear the Yohji, Clags.

10. DiplomaticTies

I think we all want to se that sweater Clags!

11. pravda

pravda Senior member

[​IMG]

I bought these Gucci sneakers thinking it was a great idea at the time...

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

This is the most terrible pair of shoes i ever had
    [​IMG]
    In fact i ordered totally different shoes on a Chinese website, and this is what they sent me. Of course they were crooks, so no exchange or refund possible, it ended up i even changed my Visa card, fearing they may use the number. Furthermore, i think they are not real Gucci stuff, but copies.
    I might use them when i'll be in holidays somewhere on the Riviera, only on the beach though, with one or two young girls wearing monokinis at my arm(s). Sorry no pictures yet.

On the Football subject. Gentlemen, calm down. This is only a game, remember ? Rosace i can't agree with you when you say that 'as french people we're allowed to be arrogant, and as football supporter, to be hateful'. The cliché of the arrogant French is.. A cliché, and the football violence/aggressiveness is one of the most stupid thing on earth.
    DT i can't agree with you when you say ' if you (France) don't manage to beat Iceland it would be disaster. Your problem is not quality, rather that there is usually open war between the players in your own team!' First it won't be a disaster as we are already in the quarter finals, which not the case of a lot of teams (and DT, do i have to mention the poor performance of Sweden ?), second there is no open war in the actual team. They are actually very friendly and unite, it was not always the case in the past i reckon.

Cheers
    C.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  13. winghus

winghus Senior member

BEETLEJUICE! BEETLEJUICE! BEETLEJUICE!

14. RoSaCe

RoSaCe Senior member

+1 point for you ;-)

@Clouseau , j'ose esperer que vous ne m'avez pas pris au premier degré? ;)

15. DiplomaticTies

Except for the players who are not even in the team because they were busy filming each other having sex and then use it for blackmail? [​IMG]

Totally agree on the awful Swedish performance though, no excuse for that. We had the best Swedish player of all time in our team, unfortunately he happens to be surrounded by one of the worst Swedish national teams of all time.

But, let's move on from football and get back to the theme of the challenge! We have seen pictures of some awful things and we hear tantalising rumours from Clags about a certain sweater, let's see them in fits!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016