• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 29 June 2016 - The "What the hell was I thinking" challenge

Who made their "What the hell was I thinking" item work best in a fit?

• Diplo

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • RoSaCe

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Clags

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Hirsch

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Duke

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Smitty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prince

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Acute

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Cox

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
biggrin.gif
I was hoping you'd see my pic.

You may be interested in the fun coffee table book 'Rowing Blazers' by Jack Carlson if you're not already familiar with it. Loads of pics from around the world and each is given the history of the club or college.
biggrin.gif
It's been on my coffee table for quite some time! Inspirational!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the Yohji. I also liked LA Guy's suggestions.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure much of my wardrobe falls into the realm of this challenge for many people, but one garment I have an extremely hard time making work is this J. Crew Patchwork jacket. In particular, I keeping trying to wear it with a tie with varying levels of failure/success. Here's my attempt from Thursday.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The accessories are too dark and too formal. Light color linen pants, a relaxed shirt, no tie. Think lazy Saturday on a sailboat.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But no deck shoes, please.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you extended this Challenge out to a full fortnight, as I have a very interesting piece back in Melbourne which cost several hundred dollars and which I have worn at most once since buying it about four years ago.

It's by no means hideous - it's just - well - strange.

I'm back in Melbourne from 7th so I should just about be able to squeak it in with an entry.

[cue bemused Murricans reaching for their Websters to look up the word "fortnight", only to find it's not in there]

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,

Ac

(By the way, I don't know anyone who doesn't know the meaning of "fortnight.")
smile.gif

(Also by the way, “fortnight” has been in Webster’s since the first, 1828, edition:
https://1828.mshaffer.com/d/search/word,fortnight)
smile.gif

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you extended this Challenge out to a full fortnight, as I have a very interesting piece back in Melbourne which cost several hundred dollars and which I have worn at most once since buying it about four years ago.

It's by no means hideous - it's just - well - strange.

I'm back in Melbourne from 7th so I should just about be able to squeak it in with an entry.

[cue bemused Murricans reaching for their Websters to look up the word "fortnight", only to find it's not in there]

How about it Cox? I am prepared to hold the trigger for a while if I know you have an entry on the way.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok i took the photos, just give me a couple hours to upload and post-process.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well... for what it's worth...

I bought this sleeveless top in Queenstown, New Zealand, about three years ago. It's from a local designer, made from a blend of merino wool, possum, silk and nylon.

It's actually really beautifully made and quite unique, but I've never worn it, as I really don't know how to make it work within an overall outfit.

At the same time, I can't bear to throw it out or pass it on to a charity - the quality is definitely there.

Definitely a "what was I thinking?" purchase.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It definitely has a bit of Hip Man Of A Certain Age vibe about it, Cox. I can see how it would be difficult to integrate it into an MC casual look. Your attempt is not far off, but I think you need more modern footwear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics