• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE June 17, 2016 - Pitti Peacock?

Pitti Peacock? Who would have looked best at Pitti Uomo 90?

• Andy 57

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • bienluienapris

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Diplomatic Ties

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • pravda

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • upr_

• Luger

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • smittycl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prince of Paisley

• Clags

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • blekit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caustic Man

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • mossrocks

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • AAS

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Mr Knightley

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • SYCSYC

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • sebastian mcfox

Votes: 41 63.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So this look seems to be inexplicably popular this year at Pitti. Probably not wearing a Brooks Brothers polo (as far as brands go, the anti-Pitti)

What exactly is this "look" you're talking about, and what is inexplicable about it? I'm asking genuinely as I'm not sure what it is that you're highlighting here. Polo shirt with sc? Collar shirt over jacket collar?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wore some shoes that probably would not have been out of place there, but the overall fit was pretty tame.. Obviously not an entry, just sharing a picture of some fairly cool blue shoes..

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

What exactly is this "look" you're talking about, and what is inexplicable about it? I'm asking genuinely as I'm not sure what it is that you're highlighting here. Polo shirt with sc? Collar shirt over jacket collar?

Yeah, both, but especially the collar over the lapels. Seen it in quite a few pictures, particularly from the East Asian contingent (though I also saw Robin Petterson (sp?) doing it). I dislike the look (which is totally fine...nobody likes everything); it makes me think of the 70s and comes across as too affected even for menswear.

The one guy I've seen look really good doing it is the guy from Camoshita. Honestly, he just looks so relaxed and happy that he looks good in everything

Anyway, am I suffering from sample bias and this look is not as common at Pitti as my brain seems to think it is?

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caustic and Coxsie, I got something for you. Today's fit is pretty insane even by my standards.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@blekit
's fit (above) is the only one even remotely resembling a Pitti peacock fit so far.

My understanding is different, the challenge is to wear what you would wear if you are at Pitti, not wearing the same thing that a Pitti peacock.

Both of the above statements are true. Most of us could not show up at work in that which would be perfectly normal at Pitti Uomo, and many of us (including myself) do not have the sensibility to dress as they do there. Most of us will try our best to emulate the spirit of Pitti, but recognize that most of us will fall short of the peacockery that runs rampant in Firenze twice a year.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caustic, Moss, now we're talkin'.

I only mentioned the peacock thing because, well, this challenge is actually called Pitti Peacock.

But sure. EFV is at Pitti this year and he's no peacock. Just a well-dressed guy.

Carry on.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you Cox, I'm not completely anti-peacock though. I mean, I like colours, hats and other things that some people seem to consider affected and peacockish.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads