• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge - Connection

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Sorry for the late post. The challenge for this round is going to be "connection," that is an article of clothing/accessory that connects with you in some way more than just pure aesthetics. The outlines for this challenge are fairly loose; "connection" can mean anything that resonates with you, a certain memory, a place, person, time in your life, philosophy, etc. It doesn't need to be something super deep, either - we'll leave it relatively wide open, just write a few words of backstory on the item. A full outfit or portrait picture is preferred. I realize a few people may have a smaller accessory that means something to them, but it would be nice to have something more than just a picture of the item.

I don't have much for other peoples' inspirations, but as an example here's an old picture of mine from 2019 wearing an indigo sashiko sport coat from Freemans Sporting Club Japan (RIP) that my wife bought for me while we were in Japan 2016. At the time, sashiko fabric was very rare in the US. A year or two later, I walked into Unionmade SF with it on and one of the guys there stopped me and asked me where I got it. I still really like it to this day, even if I'd style it slightly differently now, and I think about our trip whenever I wear it.

DSC02555.jpg

201701061217.jpg

We'll run the challenge for 2 weeks ending March 25. Looking forward to seeing your entries!

Last edited:

wumpmugg

Reaction score
Hello all,

Sorry for the late post. The challenge for this round is going to be "connection," that is an article of clothing/accessory that connects with you in some way more than just pure aesthetics. The outlines for this challenge are fairly loose; "connection" can mean anything that resonates with you, a certain memory, a place, person, time in your life, philosophy, etc. It doesn't need to be something super deep, either - we'll leave it relatively wide open, just write a few words of backstory on the item. A full outfit or portrait picture is preferred. I realize a few people may have a smaller accessory that means something to them, but it would be nice to have something more than just a picture of the item.

I don't have much for other peoples' inspirations, but as an example here's an old picture of mine from 2019 wearing an indigo sashiko sport coat from Freemans Sporting Club Japan (RIP) that my wife bought for me while we were in Japan 2016. At the time, sashiko fabric was very rare in the US. A year or two later, I walked into Unionmade SF with it on and one of the guys there stopped me and asked me where I got it. I still really like it to this day, even if I'd style it slightly differently now, and I think about our trip whenever I wear it.

View attachment 1765271
201701061217.jpg

We'll run the challenge for 2 weeks ending March 25. Looking forward to seeing your entries!
Very interesting challenge! This is definitely a challenge everyone can "connect" with on some level. Great idea. 💡

wumpmugg

Reaction score
Hello all,

View attachment 1765271
201701061217.jpg

Question: Just one item?

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a suggestion: A single item or multiple items that connect you with a person or group, such as a watch handed down by your dad, a pin that ties you to a sports team or other groups (I have a pin that combines a Day of Remembrance poppy with the Arsenal FC shield),

gavspen

Reaction score
Here is a suggestion: A single item or multiple items that connect you with a person or group, such as a watch handed down by your dad, a pin that ties you to a sports team or other groups (I have a pin that combines a Day of Remembrance poppy with the Arsenal FC shield),

Off topic question, if I may. Are you a transplanted Brit (as am I)? Cant think of any other reason a chap from Chicago would be so heavily invested in the Gunners. ;)

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off topic question, if I may. Are you a transplanted Brit (as am I)? Cant think of any other reason a chap from Chicago would be so heavily invested in the Gunners. ;)

An old colleague of mine got me interested in the Premiership in general and Arsenal in particular, and it’s been a passion of mine ever since.

Arsenal has a massive following in the States. So much so that some Brits think that all US footy fans follow the Gunners.

Here is are photos of me and my fellow Chicago Gooners. We an official supporters group that includes a number of English expats such as yourself; we even have a plaque with our name at the Emirates. Our local is The Globe Pub on Chicago’s North Center neighborhood, and we have great turnouts on match day. After each league victory, we take a group photo in the gangway next to the bar.

My license tag is proof of my obsession. 😉😂 I got my bride into Arsenal, which she might regret for the rest of her life. 😀

Sorry for the long response. Now back to our regularly-scheduled programming.

Attachments

• 54545D27-F544-45AA-BBB1-253B06B578D2.jpeg
    54545D27-F544-45AA-BBB1-253B06B578D2.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 54
  • 8EA24785-87DB-4AB1-8C1D-151E49EC318C.jpeg
    8EA24785-87DB-4AB1-8C1D-151E49EC318C.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 8C5DF0F2-D78D-4897-BEFD-1328EF78F16F.jpeg
    8C5DF0F2-D78D-4897-BEFD-1328EF78F16F.jpeg
    552.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 14D665E3-D25B-40D8-9FF8-4F0B3F7CD823.jpeg
    14D665E3-D25B-40D8-9FF8-4F0B3F7CD823.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 67

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I like to dress minimalist most of the times. I always loved jeans. I know Lee’s are not very appreciated in the USA these days, but it’s not the case here, as they are considered as the second historical brand after Levi’s. i bought those Lee Riders in Japan. They are part of the Lee Archives collection (Lee’s equivalent to LVC), made in Japan, and a repro of the 1952s model (worn by James Dean in several movies).
They connect me to Japan, and to my son, as I found one for him in Japan when he was still a baby. BTW he is 11 now, and he took the picture.

4FBA97F8-DD67-4396-966F-F9DC0DCDCE4C.jpeg
LVC 1950s sweatshirt, Lee Riders 1952, Onitsuka Tiger Tai Chi

C27E5CD6-3749-4437-90A2-227A7C4991BA.jpeg

EF3477B6-956B-4729-A29E-DBC2D37B6DFD.jpeg
53220311-8A2D-42EF-B878-532520763838.jpeg

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to dress minimalist most of the times. I always loved jeans. I know Lee’s are not very appreciated in the USA these days, but it’s not the case here, as they are considered as the second historical brand after Levi’s. i bought those Lee Riders in Japan. They are part of the Lee Archives collection (Lee’s equivalent to LVC), made in Japan, and a repro of the 1952s model (worn by James Dean in several movies).
They connect me to Japan, and to my son, as I found one for him in Japan when he was still a baby. BTW he is 11 now, and he took the picture.

View attachment 1766325

View attachment 1766328

View attachment 1766330
View attachment 1766331
That’s so cool man, thank you for sharing! BTW I also admire Lee and wish they had made a bigger splash in the US during the heritage trend of the last decade. I prefer the 101J to the ubiquitous Type III as well.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
These cords (and this necklace) belonged to my father. I never really thought of him as a stylish guy before he passed, but exploring his wardrobe afterwards, I found a few items that I found interesting. Particularly... he was taller and bigger than me, so I didn't think much of his clothing would fit, but I wanted to try a higher rise and a more relaxed fit, and... Almost like a miracle, one pair of jeans and one pair of cords fit me just right for the effect I had in mind. These black cords have been really fun for me to play with, super comfortable, and an interesting reminder of my dad.

As a bonus, the overcoat was my Grandpa's. Again, he was taller and larger than me... So it's relaxed and long. Score.

KuekfR9.jpg

Wsjj5At.jpg

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These cords (and this necklace) belonged to my father. I never really thought of him as a stylish guy before he passed, but exploring his wardrobe afterwards, I found a few items that I found interesting. Particularly... he was taller and bigger than me, so I didn't think much of his clothing would fit, but I wanted to try a higher rise and a more relaxed fit, and... Almost like a miracle, one pair of jeans and one pair of cords fit me just right for the effect I had in mind. These black cords have been really fun for me to play with, super comfortable, and an interesting reminder of my dad.

As a bonus, the overcoat was my Grandpa's. Again, he was taller and larger than me... So it's relaxed and long. Score.

KuekfR9.jpg

Wsjj5At.jpg
I’m really digging both of those on you. Thanks for sharing.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first set of cufflinks were a gift from beloved late wife who passed away three years ago (I wore them today because yesterday would have been her birthday). The second pair of Elsa Peretti-designed cufflinks are from Tiffany’s and are a gift from my new bride. I wore the third pair, which are part of a black tie set, to my wedding to my bride back in December. Last, but not least, the third set have my initials engraved and are a gift from my dad.

CA98706E-E816-46B8-BCF4-5077A3052E3E.jpeg
BDA661D2-A795-4B1D-9698-1E808352BD72.jpeg
2FF630FF-C0F6-4334-AF26-C58A1468C31A.jpeg
83FB37EA-EE3A-4174-972F-E43C145B761F.jpeg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1766325

View attachment 1766328

View attachment 1766330
View attachment 1766331

love tai chis

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance