1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

    There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.


    Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Free E-File Options for Taxes?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by VMan, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. VMan

    VMan Senior member

    Feb 26, 2003
    Hey guys,

    I've gotta get my taxes in soon, and wanted to do it online (e-file). Anyone have any suggestions for sites that offer free online filing services? I need to file both Federal and State.
  2. Arethusa

    Arethusa Senior member

    Mar 9, 2006
    I think you could only efile for free up until a couple months ago, or something. I could very well be wrong, though, so if I am, please let me know. I have to file mine as well and was just planning on getting to the post office on Monday.
  3. Tck13

    Tck13 Senior member

    Mar 9, 2006
    http://www.esmarttax.com/Default.asp http://www.turbotax.com/index.html I tried to use TurboTax (second link) first and they wanted me to pay. Then I went to the first link and paid but it was relatively inexpensive. After not completing my taxes on TurboTax (and logging out), they started sending me emails to complete my taxes for free on their site. Go figure. TurboTax was VERY easy. I couldn't file for free as I had to use the 1040A form and I think one always has to pay for the state tax to be completed online. The total came to around $20 on esmartax.com for both. As I said before, TurboTax was initially more expensive but I didn't complete my taxes on there and logged out. Then, they offered the discount... I got my refund approx. 8 days later. And, yes, I bought some clothing...
  4. StevenRocks

    StevenRocks Senior member

    Feb 19, 2005
    Southwest Virginia
    Disclosure: I work part time for a national tax preparation service

    Free e-filing is typically only available to people who make less than $25,000 on selected websites. In order to do it, you need to be able to file a 1040EZ or a 1040A generally, the long form will cost you more.

    My suggestion: if your tax situation is fairly simple, buy a basic copy of TaxCut software for less than $10.00 and follow the instructions. E-filing is about $16.00 and you'll get your refund back in about two weeks with direct deposit.

    For more complicated stuff (self employment, rental income, railroad taxes) buy a more advanced software package.

Share This Page

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by