• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Free E-File Options for Taxes?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've gotta get my taxes in soon, and wanted to do it online (e-file). Anyone have any suggestions for sites that offer free online filing services? I need to file both Federal and State.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you could only efile for free up until a couple months ago, or something. I could very well be wrong, though, so if I am, please let me know. I have to file mine as well and was just planning on getting to the post office on Monday.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.esmarttax.com/Default.asp http://www.turbotax.com/index.html I tried to use TurboTax (second link) first and they wanted me to pay. Then I went to the first link and paid but it was relatively inexpensive. After not completing my taxes on TurboTax (and logging out), they started sending me emails to complete my taxes for free on their site. Go figure. TurboTax was VERY easy. I couldn't file for free as I had to use the 1040A form and I think one always has to pay for the state tax to be completed online. The total came to around $20 on esmartax.com for both. As I said before, TurboTax was initially more expensive but I didn't complete my taxes on there and logged out. Then, they offered the discount... I got my refund approx. 8 days later. And, yes, I bought some clothing...

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Disclosure: I work part time for a national tax preparation service

Free e-filing is typically only available to people who make less than $25,000 on selected websites. In order to do it, you need to be able to file a 1040EZ or a 1040A generally, the long form will cost you more.

My suggestion: if your tax situation is fairly simple, buy a basic copy of TaxCut software for less than $10.00 and follow the instructions. E-filing is about $16.00 and you'll get your refund back in about two weeks with direct deposit.

For more complicated stuff (self employment, rental income, railroad taxes) buy a more advanced software package.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads