• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Four-in-hand knot... am I doing something wrong?

empyre.01d2

Reaction score
Sorry in advance about the lack of pictures!

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a knot tying natural, given that the FIH seems to work the best. But one thing is bothering me, how the heck do you get the knot symmetrical? If you think of a knot as similar to an upside triangle (let us refrain from the jokes), one of the upper corners is always pulled tighter than the others.

I also experience an issue when wearing slim / skinny ties (especially those sub-2"). It seems as if the knot is falling. It seems to slip down.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this issue? I've tried practicing, but it seems to be a problem each and every time.

Thanks!

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The FIH is an asymmetrical knot by nature; therein lies its rakish charm. If you want a symmetrical approximation, I recommend the half windsor.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's asymmetrical because the part you're wrapping around is not parallel, and because of the way the knot is constructed.

For the second problem, you might try wrapping it twice, the second time a bit more tightly, before putting the end through? I don't know, I don't have that problem but I'm not afraid to crank down my knot and get it to stay. You could also use that as an excuse to wear a tie clip.

DandySF

Reaction score
I became frustrated with the FIH's asymmetry and have switched to the perfectly uniform half windsor.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the Pratt knot.

empyre.01d2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
The FIH is an asymmetrical knot by nature; therein lies its rakish charm. If you want a symmetrical approximation, I recommend the half windsor.
Ahh, I see. That makes sense now that I think about it. A few more general questions. When tightening my tie, I want to pull on the wide-end only right? When removing my tie, is there a trick? My Father says that you should always take it off the the same way you put it on--in reverse of course. Is he correct?

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by empyre.01d2
Ahh, I see. That makes sense now that I think about it.

A few more general questions. When tightening my tie, I want to pull on the wide-end only right? When removing my tie, is there a trick? My Father says that you should always take it off the the same way you put it on--in reverse of course. Is he correct?

When tightening, pull on the wide end until it is tight (while your finger is scrunching the tie if you want the dimple). Once it is tight to your liking, then pull on the narrow end so it goes up to your neck.

empyre.01d2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
When tightening, pull on the wide end until it is tight (while your finger is scrunching the tie if you want the dimple). Once it is tight to your liking, then pull on the narrow end so it goes up to your neck.

Thank you!

Krawczak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
Try the Pratt knot.

+10

I came up with the Pratt-Shelbey myself, and was somewhat disappointed when I found that it was pre-existing. But it's almost all I wear. It is symmetrical without being cartoonishly huge. I can heartily recommend it.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

empyre.01d2

Reaction score
I'm going to bump my old thread here with a simple question. Let me begin by saying I'm "tie-challenged"

I've stuck with the FIH as it seems to be the only knot I can really do.

Is there a way to measure it out correctly prior to tying? I always seem to have to try 3 or 4 times before I can get it to a good length (right above or slightly covering my belt buckle). Thank you gentlemen!

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to bump my old thread here with a simple question. Let me begin by saying I'm "tie-challenged"

I've stuck with the FIH as it seems to be the only knot I can really do.

Is there a way to measure it out correctly prior to tying? I always seem to have to try 3 or 4 times before I can get it to a good length (right above or slightly covering my belt buckle). Thank you gentlemen!

One thing I've found to work is to tighten the knot from the neck (on the side that actually tightens the knot) once you've got a loose knot at the correct length. That way you don't have to pull the wide end longer than you'd prefer. Also helps set up and cinch the dimple.

awcollin

Reaction score
Is there a way to measure it out correctly prior to tying? I always seem to have to try 3 or 4 times before I can get it to a good length (right above or slightly covering my belt buckle).

I don't know about anyone else, but when I place the tie around my neck, I usually adjust the narrow end to a point between two particular buttons. If the tie does not end up being the correct length, I adjust up/down accordingly. Once you've got it to the length you desire, remember that starting position.

It's not an exact science, but you should be able to figure it out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads