• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal dress shirt fabric: is there a standard?

Amiro555

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am getting married soon and have a question regarding the white shirt that's going to go with my black tux. I assume this is a standard formal wear question and not necessarily wedding attire related so I did not post this in the wedding attire forum. The look I am going for with the shirt is: French cuff, pinpoint collar, plain front (no pleats), black bow tie, and studs/cufflinks.

Aside from the obvious 100% cotton, there are dress shirt that are thicker and feel much softer on both sides (almost like new cotton socks). Other 100% cotton dress shirts are sometimes thin to the point of some transparency and have harder feeling fabrics. When these thin shirts are not transparent, they often show the lines of the undershirt sleeves on the outside.

My questions:

1. The thinner ones always appeared less formal to me but I was wondering if the thicker/softer shirts were a standard with formal wear?

2. Is it acceptable/recommended for the formal white shirt to have fabric patterns such as striping or herringbone? The thicker whiter shirts I was referring to above often seem to come with these patterns. Does this make any difference for me wearing it as groom? This is an example for these patterns:

Last edited:

Wayward

Reaction score
Tuxedo shirts should all have a bib, either in a marcella or a pleated front. Without the bib, it's just a business/dress shirt and inappropriate for black tie. If you don't like pleats, then go for marcella. Also, you mentioned studs/cufflinks. Those aren't interchangeable, so I assume you meant shirt studs and cufflinks. Dress shirts can't accommodate shirt studs, only tuxedo shirts. Alternatively, for a clean front, then also look for those with a hidden placket, or fly front.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't wear an undershirt under your dinner shirt.

Very classic approach would be cotton voile for the body and sleeves, which is almost translucent. Then, collar, cuffs and bib in pique.

The voile will keep you cooler under your jacket.

Amiro555

Reaction score
Tuxedo shirts should all have a bib, either in a marcella or a pleated front. Without the bib, it's just a business/dress shirt and inappropriate for black tie. If you don't like pleats, then go for marcella. Also, you mentioned studs/cufflinks. Those aren't interchangeable, so I assume you meant shirt studs and cufflinks. Dress shirts can't accommodate shirt studs, only tuxedo shirts. Alternatively, for a clean front, then also look for those with a hidden placket, or fly front.

Very classic approach would be cotton voile for the body and sleeves, which is almost translucent. Then, collar, cuffs and bib in pique.

Thank you both for your great help! I've learned new things from both your messages.

Mafoofan - I always wear an undershirt under any dress shirt as my deodorants tends do horrible things to any fabric to with they come in contact. This is a wedding and I am the groom so there is going to be a good amount of dancing and inevitable sweating regardless of what I am wearing. I would think differently if this was a lower energy formal evening that consisted mostly of table-side sitting.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

the last SFer who walked in my shop and asked for Voile got a bit of a surprise..
are you wearing a 14 oz Wool barrathea with a vest?
if yes, sure.. go for voile.

For those reading, in this country, Marcella is know as Birdseye Pique.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thank you both for your great help! I've learned new things from both your messages.

Mafoofan - I always wear an undershirt under any dress shirt as my deodorants tends do horrible things to any fabric to with they come in contact.  This is a wedding and I am the groom so there is going to be a good amount of dancing and inevitable sweating regardless of what I am wearing.  I would think differently if this was a lower energy formal evening that consisted mostly of table-side sitting.

go and buy a trim fitting moister wicking t-shirt. Uniqlo sells a good one.

also consider getting 2 shirts. If you are very hot and sweaty, you can change at some point.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
depending on the level of formality.
you can get a slight textured fabric and go with a fly front.
you can even do an interesting texture and use studs

I prefer some sort of pleats, but it is not the end of the world if you use a shirt described above.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very formal; poplin
Voile is the most light fabric, usually 65 grams/meter, only for July/ August and always with the jacket on, since specially in white, is very transparent.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads